X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ozzy
    • Mar 2015

Phantom Dvds

Sorry, this isn't a review but I couldn't decide where to post my question.

A few month's ago I was browsing the speed bag central website and after a while came across an ad for a dvd in which a martial artist gave various speed bag lessons - I think the dvd cost something like $19.95.

I haven't been able to find the webpage with this dvd on since then and I'm starting to think that this could have been a dream, or I'm going barking mad. Has anyone any idea what this dvd was/is and if so where I can find it on the SBC website? I'd be grateful if somebody could confirm that this dvd exists and I'm not a total loony - cheers.
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

I'm sure Alan will be along shortly to clear up this mystery. Otherwise you may well be barking mad.

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

In the mean time.... you might enjoy this:
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ozzy View Post
        Sorry, this isn't a review but I couldn't decide where to post my question.

A few month's ago I was browsing the speed bag central website and after a while came across an ad for a dvd in which a martial artist gave various speed bag lessons - I think the dvd cost something like $19.95.

I haven't been able to find the webpage with this dvd on since then and I'm starting to think that this could have been a dream, or I'm going barking mad. Has anyone any idea what this dvd was/is and if so where I can find it on the SBC website? I'd be grateful if somebody could confirm that this dvd exists and I'm not a total loony - cheers.
        Yes indeed that is correct. The video you reference is 21 combinations of the speed bag through Kenpo Connection.

Master Herb Patus is a friend and we communicated together some time ago.

His DVD is insightful and he is a highly skilled practitioner. We both came to the speed bag from different routes but are obviously drawn to it's sound and unique blending of fist and elbows. I would say our skills are similar but our teaching premise is a bit different. It would be a good addition to your speed bag training library.

Another addition to your speed bag training library, for posterity if nothing else, would be to get a copy of the first published article about speed bag training in Black Belt Magazine. That would be May 1991, page 66.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

From the August 1991 issue of Black Belt magazine, page 102-103,

May Issue Changed Their Lives

"I am writing on behalf of a small group of guys who practice karate in Lorena, Texas. Our town is small, and we don't have a school or instructor. We just get together three of four days a week and practice techniques that we pick up from Black Belt. Our training equipment consists of a homemade heavy dummy, some bales of hay, simple exercise equipment and an old speed bag.

When the May, 1991, Black Belt came out, we were shocked to see that Alan Kahn, the author of the speed-bag article, lived in nearby Waco. We called Kahn, hoping he would visit us and maybe help out with our speed-bag training.

We were surprised! Kahn came out that day and met with us for several hours. He brought bags and other equipment for us to use, and gave an amazing demonstration on the speed-bag. He made it look so easy. Then he helped us learn how to properly hit it, until we could do three or four combinations ourselves.

When it was time to quit, we gave Kahn $30 and promised more if he'd come back. He thanked us for the money but gave it back, suggesting some safety equipment we should purchase instead. He said we should be proud of our "training hall" and our efforts to learn. He promised to come back and teach us more---for free! All he wanted was our parents permission, and our promise to respect the techniques we learned (no showing off).

After Mr. Kahn left, we voted unanimously to write this letter and tell Black Belt what the magazine can mean to those of us in small towns, and how the May issue changed our lives."

Mike Fricker and friends
          Lorena, TX

Comment

• ozzy
            • Mar 2015

Think you must have been talking to my missus biff :-)

Comment

• ozzy
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Biff View Post
              I'm sure Alan will be along shortly to clear up this mystery. Otherwise you may well be barking mad.
              Think you must have been talking to my missus biff

Comment

• ozzy
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                In the mean time.... you might enjoy this:
                Thanks for that Zaza I've never thought of practical uses of our training before

Comment

• ozzy
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Yes indeed that is correct. The video you reference is 21 combinations of the speed bag through Kenpo Connection.

Master Herb Patus is a friend and we communicated together some time ago.

His DVD is insightful and he is a highly skilled practitioner. We both came to the speed bag from different routes but are obviously drawn to it's sound and unique blending of fist and elbows. I would say our skills are similar but our teaching premise is a bit different. It would be a good addition to your speed bag training library.

Another addition to your speed bag training library, for posterity if nothing else, would be to get a copy of the first published article about speed bag training in Black Belt Magazine. That would be May 1991, page 66.
                  Thanks for that Alan, think I will certainly get one of Master Patus’ dvds – I’m always looking out for something different that might help with my training.

The guy in the Black Belt Magazine article looks familiar – I found a copy for sale on ebay but the delivery to the uk is rather pricey so I’ll have to keep reading the google books version – at least for now.

By the way I picked up a copy of “Boxing Skills” by Charles Schroeder and it has much better descriptions of boxing skills than those given in modern day boxing books, I would recommend it to anyone interested in boxing – do you know of any other good boxing training books?

Anyhoo thanks again Alan, glad to know I haven't totally lost it - paul

Comment

• ozzy
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                    From the August 1991 issue of Black Belt magazine, page 102-103,

May Issue Changed Their Lives

"I am writing on behalf of a small group of guys who practice karate in Lorena, Texas. Our town is small, and we don't have a school or instructor. We just get together three of four days a week and practice techniques that we pick up from Black Belt. Our training equipment consists of a homemade heavy dummy, some bales of hay, simple exercise equipment and an old speed bag.

When the May, 1991, Black Belt came out, we were shocked to see that Alan Kahn, the author of the speed-bag article, lived in nearby Waco. We called Kahn, hoping he would visit us and maybe help out with our speed-bag training.

We were surprised! Kahn came out that day and met with us for several hours. He brought bags and other equipment for us to use, and gave an amazing demonstration on the speed-bag. He made it look so easy. Then he helped us learn how to properly hit it, until we could do three or four combinations ourselves.

When it was time to quit, we gave Kahn $30 and promised more if he'd come back. He thanked us for the money but gave it back, suggesting some safety equipment we should purchase instead. He said we should be proud of our "training hall" and our efforts to learn. He promised to come back and teach us more---for free! All he wanted was our parents permission, and our promise to respect the techniques we learned (no showing off).

After Mr. Kahn left, we voted unanimously to write this letter and tell Black Belt what the magazine can mean to those of us in small towns, and how the May issue changed our lives."

Mike Fricker and friends
                    Lorena, TX
                    Fantastic to see that Alan's generosity of spirit was really appreciated by these guys. As someone who has also profited from Alan's generosity and teaching I'm so glad to see that Alan has been given the credit he deserves from time to time - although nowhere near enough of course.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...