• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Ringside "Heritage" 5" Speed Bag...

A BIG thanks to Antny72 for allowing me to review the new Ringside Heritage Speed Bag (the 5" model)....Thanks again Antny72!).

The bag was delivered quickly and is the first bag I've recieved partially inflated, which might mean they check each bag before shipping. The bag comes with Leather Conditioner and they recommend you treat the bag before it's first use. It comes with a black rubber bladder (as best I can tell from the nipple).

Fresh out of the box:

Warning/disclaimer included with bag....made in Pakistan ()
    Didn't know I could die hitting a speed bag!

(...but what a way to go...if you have to go!)

Leather laces (that want to come undone when hitting), nice clean seams, soft leather bag that is easy on the hands:

Heavy duty loop! Too big to fit on my Powermill Evil Swivel, but one tough loop:

Size comparison to the Title gold (5x8):

All oiled-up and ready to go!

This is a beautiful, well-made bag (and should be for the price). It is fast, well balanced, easy on the hands and sounds good hitting the drum. The only thing that is a bit of a pain is the leather lace that just doesn't want to stay tied...but nothing that can't be fixed. I think I'd prefer the 6" size, but I imagine Ataraxis could make this baby sing!

Again... a BIG "thank you" to Antny72 for shipping this to me to try. What a great community we have here! I'll shoot some video and post later.

Cheers,
    -Zaza

Hope this was a useful review...please post question below and I'll try to answer best I can.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hey ZA. thanks for the great review of the Heritage speed bag by Ringside

that attachment loop looks....daunting.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ventanakaz
      hey zaza i have the set of ringside's (red white and black speed bags) well i did have the whole set but gave the large to (speedbag) i could send you one of the bags to try out. i have the XS 5X8, S 6X9, M 7X10. i could send you a text pic of them next to my fighting sports S 6X9 so you can pic out the one you want to try out...ralph
      Thanks Ralph! I might just have to take you up on that offer, let me see how the New Year shapes up.

Comment

• jumpcannon
        Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Ahaha...i like the disclaimer. Could cause death? Must have laces made of det-cord.
        evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
          Ahaha...i like the disclaimer. Could cause death? Must have laces made of det-cord.
          Or a very unstable board the comes crashing down on your head.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

hey zaza now that you've had time on that bag, what do you think of it compared to the cleto reyes bag ?...ralph
            Ralph- I've never hit a Cleto Reyes bag (remember, all my extra funds go into making "Art of the Bag"!).

This bag has a nice rebound and seems good and quick. I like a bit bigger bag myself (9x6)....and something with a little more belly.

The only negative is the leather lace always seems to come undone after a few minutes of hitting.

I'll be getting this back to it's rightful own today....again, a BIG thank you to Anthony!

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
              • Apr 2011

does anybody have this bag and or the two sizes it comes in and cleto reyes bags too, if so how do these bags compare to the cleto reyes bags ?...ralph
              I'll post pics of that soon.
              -Anthony

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                • Apr 2011

does anybody have this bag and or the two sizes it comes in and cleto reyes bags too, if so how do these bags compare to the cleto reyes bags ?...ralph
                As requested, here is pic of the 5 inch Rinside Heritage(Only comes in a 5 or 6 inch), next to a (xs 8x5) and (s 9x6) Cleto Reyes. The odd thing is(once again?), that the 5 inch Heritage which is clearly tiny and the 5 inch as ordered, has the size MEDIUM, stitched/embranded on the leather on the outside of the bag??

Does anyone else have a heritage, to confirm what the branded sizing on the outside of the bag should say?

I included a short video demo of the three speedbags. http://youtu.be/U1Y-97paDbU

Attached Files
                Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM.
                -Anthony

Comment

• MJHawk
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2013

Loop, Swivel

That is a gorgeous bag. I love the old-looking, old-colored high quality leather boxing gear. But, is a bag that can't fit on a Powermill worth it...? I say...well I'm pretty much joking but not entirely. Haven't read the whole thread but just want to know bc I love the bag, what OEM swivel does it work on best? (My apologies to Ryan) but can't you mod. the Powermill w/a zip-tie instead of the hook to fit? However, the swivel in a bag set-up is like the shaft of a golf club...it truly (in both cases) is the engine, and not subject to compromise. The bag is great though. Keep working hard and take care.

---JMS

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by MJHawk View Post
                    That is a gorgeous bag. I love the old-looking, old-colored high quality leather boxing gear. But, is a bag that can't fit on a Powermill worth it...? I say...well I'm pretty much joking but not entirely. Haven't read the whole thread but just want to know bc I love the bag, what OEM swivel does it work on best? (My apologies to Ryan) but can't you mod. the Powermill w/a zip-tie instead of the hook to fit? However, the swivel in a bag set-up is like the shaft of a golf club...it truly (in both cases) is the engine, and not subject to compromise. The bag is great though. Keep working hard and take care.

---JMS
                    The 5 inch Ringside Heritage I have fits both on a Deville or Powermill, no problem. The bags I've had the most problems with, with respect to loops, are Cleto Reyes. Everyone I have, had this super, super, hard and thick loop that was so uncompromising. After realizing these things aren't ever going to break in, I took a razor and cut all the leather off, revealing only the flexible and managable nylon strap underneath. If you look at the video in previous post you can see the Cleto Reyes loops after cutting them down.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM.
                    -Anthony

Comment

• Zaza
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by MJHawk View Post
                      But, is a bag that can't fit on a Powermill worth it...?

---JMS
                      ...I should have said that I have one of the original Powermill Evil swivels, he has since modified the hook to allow for the larger hooped bags.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                        ...I should have said that I have one of the original Powermill Evil swivels, he has since modified the hook to allow for the larger hooped bags.
                        Yes, a helpful upgrade.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                          • Apr 2011

Ringside Heritage Speed Bag Lace Problem, Modification(or any outside lace speed bag)

This may be an easy concept to some, and many have probably made these modifications to speedbags before, but I just wanted to make a post with repect to changing a speedbags laces from being tied on the outside to being tied on the inside. As was mentioned in a previous post by Zaza, the leather laces on the Heritage are very hard to keep tied, and become quit a nuisance when trying to use it. So what you can do, and what i did on the Heritage, or any other outside laced speedbag for that matter, is to deflate the bag completely, then untie the laces and remove from top 2 sets of holes. Now instead of coming out with the laces from the top holes, you want to make the laces entering from the outside, going in. Do this by skipping the 2nd to last hole and entering the top hole from the outside. You can also start from the bottom and redo it all, so the last hole at top would be going in, and you then don't have to skip the 2nd to last hole at the top. Once the laces are going in the top holes, tie it as usual, and then tuck it into the top of the inside of bag. Inflate to proper psi, and the pressure of the bag, keeps the laces snug, tight and inside the bag and prevents them from getting untied. I posted pics of how the laces lok inside and outside. I forget to take and save a pic of it with laces on the outside, so I borrow the pic Zaza took. They are the same bags though.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-09-2013, 04:31 PM.
                          -Anthony

Comment

• Zaza
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2011

...i.always double knot my bags ;-)...ralph
                            Me too! (but it won't work on the leather lace on this bag)

Fancy lacing Anthony.

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                              • Apr 2011

Well, 3 options are better than 1. Tape, double Knot, or relace going in!!
                              -Anthony

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...