• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingstmojo
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2016

FOR SALE Narragansett Platform

I have a platform and drum fully intact and original to the best of my knowledge. I have pictures available can, forward if anyone is interested.
    Trying to establish a value and possible sale.
  • PunchDrunk
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by kingstmojo View Post
    I have a platform and drum fully intact and original to the best of my knowledge. I have pictures available can, forward if anyone is interested.
    Hi kingstmojo

PunchDrunk here and i am interested
    Message me

Thanks
    Mario Isaac Albero
    PunchDrunk.

Comment

• PunchDrunk
      • Oct 2014

Hey there kingstmojo,

I've sent you a pm with my information. I guess if you login and see this message call me if you want to try to work on a deal. I've also sent you a pm with my email address.

Thanks
      Mario Isaac Albero
      PunchDrunk
      (201)456-8541

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
        Hey there kingstmojo,

I've sent you a pm with my information. I guess if you login and see this message call me if you want to try to work on a deal. I've also sent you a pm with my email address.

Thanks
        Mario Isaac Albero
        PunchDrunk
        (201)456-8541
        I PM'd him the day he posted...haven't heard a thing...probably not a real posting.
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• PunchDrunk
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
          I PM'd him the day he posted...haven't heard a thing...probably not a real posting.
          say it ain't so bad joke i wonder if i can just have the Arms made i can always add any drum. I need help
          Attached Files

Comment

• Bag Man
            • Jan 2011

say it ain't so bad joke i wonder if i can just have the Arms made i can always add any drum. I need help
            I am very familiar with these platforms. I’m guessing it has been painted black (the original finish was called Japaning), which is not unusual. The adjustment wheel is correct as are the lock down knobs, both of which are there. The original wood mounts are missing, again not unusual. (The lower mount is milled to fit the worm gear mechanism.) A half way decent metal worker should easily be able to fashion support arms for a drum from some angle iron. Two 2” X 6” boards could be used to replace the original mounts.

Not a bad start for a restore. Is that what you are looking to do? The drum and arms do pop up for sale occasionally. May take some time, but, I’m cautiously optimistic that you could put it back together over time.

If you are not a stickler for authenticity the angle iron fix and replacement drum would put it back in service. I doubt it would be too expensive. Keep in mind, that, as formidable as the original drums on these older Narragansetts look, they are not solid. They are wood framed to which wooden slats, not unlike what you would find in flooring, are attached. In my opinion, the design worked better for larger bags, particularly if suspended from a rope, which is how they were originally sold.

You might find that a drum made of a few pieces of plywood layered together gives you a more solid rebound. In fact, the later models (labeled NGE) adopted the plywood design.

Regards,

Bag Man
            "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• PunchDrunk
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post
              I am very familiar with these platforms. I’m guessing it has been painted black (the original finish was called Japaning), which is not unusual. The adjustment wheel is correct as are the lock down knobs, both of which are there. The original wood mounts are missing, again not unusual. (The lower mount is milled to fit the worm gear mechanism.) A half way decent metal worker should easily be able to fashion support arms for a drum from some angle iron. Two 2” X 6” boards could be used to replace the original mounts.

Not a bad start for a restore. Is that what you are looking to do? The drum and arms do pop up for sale occasionally. May take some time, but, I’m cautiously optimistic that you could put it back together over time.

If you are not a stickler for authenticity the angle iron fix and replacement drum would put it back in service. I doubt it would be too expensive. Keep in mind, that, as formidable as the original drums on these older Narragansetts look, they are not solid. They are wood framed to which wooden slats, not unlike what you would find in flooring, are attached. In my opinion, the design worked better for larger bags, particularly if suspended from a rope, which is how they were originally sold.

You might find that a drum made of a few pieces of plywood layered together gives you a more solid rebound. In fact, the later models (labeled NGE) adopted the plywood design.

Regards,

Bag Man
              Thanks Bag Man

I am definitely looking to restore and use it. i have no intention on re selling. I love the look of this massive platform. I actually work with steel and various metals ( i build cell phone towers ) i can practically get most of it for free. I've been debating on making my own but Sincerely i want the original arms. I was looking for the patent to possibly have a mold made to recast ( i have a friend that does cast iron projects.)Having the correct dimensions would be most helpful. I'd appreciate if you ever see the arms for sale giving me a heads up or can point me in the right direction once again thanks for the advice and your time good sir

Thanks
              Mario Isaac Albero
              PunchDrunk

Comment

• Bag Man
                • Jan 2011

Thanks Bag Man

I am definitely looking to restore and use it. i have no intention on re selling. I love the look of this massive platform. I actually work with steel and various metals ( i build cell phone towers ) i can practically get most of it for free. I've been debating on making my own but Sincerely i want the original arms. I was looking for the patent to possibly have a mold made to recast ( i have a friend that does cast iron projects.)Having the correct dimensions would be most helpful. I'd appreciate if you ever see the arms for sale giving me a heads up or can point me in the right direction once again thanks for the advice and your time good sir

Thanks
                Mario Isaac Albero
                PunchDrunk
                You're more than welcome.

BTW: I assume that you purchased the piece.

Archie Moore

Comment

• kingstmojo
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jul 2016

Pictures

Here are a few pictures, sorry for the delayed response.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Bag Man
                    • Jan 2011

Here are a few pictures, sorry for the delayed response.
                    PunchDrunk,

I assume this was supplied as a model. It is all correct, including the horizontal wood braces. If you look closely behind the worm gear you can make out the cut out in the wood to accommodate the adjustment mechanism.

Bag Man

Archie Moore

Comment

• PunchDrunk
                      • Oct 2014

PunchDrunk,

I assume this was supplied as a model. It is all correct, including the horizontal wood braces. If you look closely behind the worm gear you can make out the cut out in the wood to accommodate the adjustment mechanism.

Bag Man
                      Bag Man

Once again thanks your the man. I appreciate your knowledge and experience with this vintage platform. I hope i could come to an agreement with the seller. Anyone else interested in this back off it's mine just kidding it's fair game.

Thanks
                      Mario Isaac Albero
                      PunchDrunk

Comment

• Bag Man
                        • Jan 2011

Bag Man

Once again thanks your the man. I appreciate your knowledge and experience with this vintage platform. I hope i could come to an agreement with the seller. Anyone else interested in this back off it's mine just kidding it's fair game.

Thanks
                        Mario Isaac Albero
                        PunchDrunk
                        Going to go out a limb here: Picture 2 of 3 looks like that may be the original Japaned finished, i.e., not repainted. Either way, it looks to be a very nice example. Congrats.

BTW: What was original first pic all about?

I'm so far back you need a phone to reach me. If I came back with another piece of boxing "memorabilia" I'll be the Dead Man courtesy of the Misses.

Enjoy,

Bag Man

Archie Moore

Comment

• PunchDrunk
                          • Oct 2014

Going to go out a limb here: Picture 2 of 3 looks like that may be the original Japaned finished, i.e., not repainted. Either way, it looks to be a very nice example. Congrats.

BTW: What was original first pic all about?

I'm so far back you need a phone to reach me. If I came back with another piece of boxing "memorabilia" I'll be the Dead Man courtesy of the Misses.

Enjoy,

Bag Man
                          Hi Bag Man

The one picture i posted is the incomplete platform that i purchased almost 1 year ago. That one is hanging in my garage. That's why I was just looking for the arms to complete my platform. But now I'm trying to work out a deal with Kingstmojo for the complete unit he has with all the correct part's
                          I have to upload more pictures into the photo album here in the forum

Thanks
                          Mario Isaac Albero
                          PunchDrunk

Comment

• Bag Man
                            • Jan 2011

Mario,

Did you ever have any luck with this?

Bag Man

Archie Moore

Comment

• PunchDrunk
                              • Oct 2014

Mario,

Did you ever have any luck with this?

Bag Man
                              Hey Bag Man,

No luck, i think he was just trying to get a price or an idea on what he had. Last time he emailed me was to say the YMCA board didn't know if they wanted to sell or keep it for display, i really had my hopes up on this one. I even offer to pay more than the agreed price

Thanks
                              Mario Isaac Albero
                              PunchDrunk

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...