• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PunchDrunk
    • Oct 2014

1930's Swivel ebay

Hello forum members

I found this swivel on eBay if anyone is looking or interested : http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...662366&alt=web
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
    Hello forum members

I found this swivel on eBay if anyone is looking or interested : http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...662366&alt=web
    I love that offset "S" hook, but the softer metal edge of that bell housing would beat down over time as the eye shank hits it continuously (every bag rebound!) getting wider and wider until the ball falls out. Once the seating area inside for the ball get too big to hold it, that swivels done.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

I don't think that it's that old, and that stamped metal housing looks like that swivel hasn't seen much use. This is probably post WWII piece.If you want to just collect it, maybe I'd spend ten bucks on it, five would be more what it's worth. But as far as actually using it, around this board it would self destruct inside of a month.

Comment

• PunchDrunk
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        I love that offset "S" hook, but the softer metal edge of that bell housing would beat down over time as the eye shank hits it continuously (every bag rebound!) getting wider and wider until the ball falls out. Once the seating area inside for the ball get too big to hold it, that swivels done.
        Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        I don't think that it's that old, and that stamped metal housing looks like that swivel hasn't seen much use. This is probably post WWII piece.If you want to just collect it, maybe I'd spend ten bucks on it, five would be more what it's worth. But as far as actually using it, around this board it would self destruct inside of a month.
        Speedbag, Dutchman,

Thanks for the input on this particular style of Swivel. I thought about getting it ( im glad now i know it would not take the beating) but in truth I have my eyes on a complete Fred Medart platform I came across in my travels just trying to finalize a price with a stubborn man.

Thanks
        Mario Isaac Albero
        PunchDrunk.

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Here's the same swivel, different auction, with the instruction sheet,

Comment

• fedora
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2012

Okay, why not. I'll add it to my collection. Seller discounted it to $10.91. I saw it earlier along with a Lucky Dog swivel. which I already had.

Here it is in case anyone is interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-Boxing...item5672d6b512 (It works really well by the way.)

I'll this one up and use it some just for fun, but mostly it'll be a display piece.

fedora
            Last edited by fedora; 03-29-2015, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• fedora
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2012

I got this swivel today. By looking at the bell I doubt it was ever used. No sign that a ball hook ever struck the sides and since the metal is some what thin I'm sure it would show. Also no marks on the screw holes where it would have been screwed down. I like these old swivels. This would have been a decent design had it been made with a heavier metal.

fedora

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Yes but it would have cost more to make, heavier metal requiring the use of heavier metal stamp, both of which would have made it less profitable to make.Even back in "the good old days" business' looked at things like that".

Comment

• fedora
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2012

I'm only guessing here, but it looks like it would have been for a home unit rather than a gym. It wouldn't have lasted a week in a boxing gym.

fedora

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

Yes, indeed, this basic type was found on a lot of rebound rings up into the 1950's

Comment

• drag-on389
                      • May 2014

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                      Okay, why not. I'll add it to my collection. Seller discounted it to $10.91. I saw it earlier along with a Lucky Dog swivel. which I already had.

Here it is in case anyone is interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-Boxing...item5672d6b512 (It works really well by the way.)

I'll this one up and use it some just for fun, but mostly it'll be a display piece.

fedora
                      Thanks Fedora for posting that Lucky Dog swivel. I was fortunate to be able to get it. I must say that it is a pretty good swivel. I enjoy it's unique sound. To me it enhances my bagging . Now I am trying to find a power mill evil swivel. If any forum member has one to sell send me a pm.

Comment

• fedora
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Dec 2012

I'm glad someone here got it. What I liked about it is that you can adjust the length of the chain to make the bag rebound faster or slower according to your likes. Here's some pics for those that haven't seen one.

fedora
                        Last edited by fedora; 04-12-2015, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• typeone66
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Apr 2015

Hello, everyone.
                          May this message find you well.

I remember seeing the OPs swivel before on eBay. As was previously stated, there were actually two of this same type of swivel, one without instructions, though.
                          I almost bought one of these, but ended up passing on it based on the information I've gathered from this forum when I visited previously as a guest.
                          I own the Everlast swivel with chain link. I've been using that for a bit and wasn't truly satisfied with my performance with it. It felt like something was off.
                          After passing up on the swivel the OP was pointing out, I decided, instead, to buy a Whitely No Jump Strike Bag Swivel model 201.
                          The eBay seller mentioned to me that he had two more of the model 201 for sale on eBay, which I did see for a day before the seller pulled them out of auction.
                          Because of this forums recommendations and reviews about the different types of swivels. I have discovered that my bag rhythm wasn't off and that I was asking too much of the Everlast chain link swivel.
                          The Whitely model 201 reflects truer to how I am striking the bag..

Sincerely,
                          Al Dion
                          Last edited by typeone66; 04-13-2015, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...