• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Another vintage Nicols with a bag

This one is like the one I just bought except it has the ball and hook. I love the character that these old swivels and bags have.

fedora
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

I like the character Mr Fedora has ! Great taste in swivels, sir !

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Looks to be in really nice condition, the bag doesn't look too bad either. I'm afraid to go look what it's going for tho.

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        Looks to be in really nice condition, the bag doesn't look too bad either. I'm afraid to go look what it's going for tho.
        I know what you mean. Say Dutch, what became of the Nichols company ?

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          I made an offer of $50.00 for the set and it was accepted. Maybe too much, I don't know, but still worth it to me.

fedora

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Worth it. Your a Nichols man.

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

What happened to them? Well that's the $65 question isn't it. We have an address Nicol & Co 55-57 West Washington St. Chicago Il . It appears that they are out of the scene sometime in the 1930's. I've run into dead ends on this one in the past, put now thanks to google books I'm unearthing fire inspector reports on this building so I'll keep digging. Realistically there is probably two things that happened to them. One is that they were bought out by another supplier, or two, they just folded.

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Nicol & Co was apparently a fairly sizable specialty metal working firm. Our beloved swivels were but a small part of their extensive line of products. They were well known for coin banks http://www.internetantiquegazette.co...nicol_company/. It also appears that they did a lot of specialty items on order besides cataloged products. The firm was founded in 1883, but like I have said above so far I haven't been able to pin down when it ceased to do business.

Comment

• fedora
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2012

I got this in the mail today. Amazingly the bag actually inflated and so far if it leaks it is a slow one. It doesn't look like it was used all that much considering it's age. The swivel is in great shape too. Cleaned up pretty well with just a slight rubbing with some fine steel wool.

Now I just have to find a place to hang them both in my garage.

fedora

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

Oh that's really nice. Leather looks good, and the swivel cleaned up real well. Congrats on an exquisite acquisition.

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                      I got this in the mail today. Amazingly the bag actually inflated and so far if it leaks it is a slow one. It doesn't look like it was used all that much considering it's age. The swivel is in great shape too. Cleaned up pretty well with just a slight rubbing with some fine steel wool.

Now I just have to find a place to hang them both in my garage.

fedora
                      Wundabah!
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Dec 2012

I mounted it on my platform today and hit it around some. What a monster!! The swivel works really well but I'm sure the people down the block a ways can hear it.

fedora

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...