• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PunchDrunk
    • Oct 2014

WTB. Narragansett Machine Co. Arm's and Drum

Hello fellow Baggers

I have recently acquired a Narragansett platform base. I have seen them come up before on a few thread's (I feel in love at first sight) it's an amazing platform. I would never dream of selling it even if I never find the original Arms or original Drum. I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction on how to even begin the search for these part's. I want to buy the Arm's to refurbish it or at least get a drum on it so I can start to use the platform.
    I will post more pictures in a new Thead under Pictures and Videos and a little more details on how I came across this wonderful work of Art

thanks
    PunchDrunk
    OIIIIIIIO
    Attached Files
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

It's the platform most of us dream of.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Looks like he principal pieces that you are missing are the two support brackets. These are castings, and I don't recall ever seeing any of these separate. I'd say that you would need to locate one and if possible use it as a pattern have new ones cut on a water jet. It's cheaper than having patterns made, casting and machining of new ones.

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Also these were sold by Everlast for years without some of the details of the originals. There are a lot of these still in use

Comment

• Bag Man
          • Jan 2011

Go to post on this site (Play it Again) by RTAhern dated 5.22.14. He had the correct drum for sale. He didn't have the arms. I went back and forth with him, but, it would have been a spare for me so not worth the $ he was asking which was around $600.

Steve

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
          Hello fellow Baggers

I have recently acquired a Narragansett platform base. I have seen them come up before on a few thread's (I feel in love at first sight) it's an amazing platform. I would never dream of selling it even if I never find the original Arms or original Drum. I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction on how to even begin the search for these part's. I want to buy the Arm's to refurbish it or at least get a drum on it so I can start to use the platform.
          I will post more pictures in a new Thead under Pictures and Videos and a little more details on how I came across this wonderful work of Art

thanks
          PunchDrunk
          OIIIIIIIO
          "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• PunchDrunk
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post
            Go to post on this site (Play it Again) by RTAhern dated 5.22.14. He had the correct drum for sale. He didn't have the arms. I went back and forth with him, but, it would have been a spare for me so not worth the $ he was asking which was around $600.

Steve
            Bag Man. Thanks for the reply and information very much appreciated. Wow $600 for the drum is crazy. I got the base for $300 ( i was too late to save the Drum they guy I got mine from had made a table out of it ) plus shipping from Indiana came out to a total of $425. I will check the post from 5.22.2014 and see if he still has the drum. Maybe we can come to a more reasonable price. I wish I could get some detailed drawing for the Arms I would have them made. Thanks I'll post my progress hopefully I can get this historic platform up and working.

Thanks
            Mario Isaac Albero
            PunchDrunk
            OIIIIIIIO

Comment

• PunchDrunk
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by ventanakaz
              Nice find PunchDrunk, Hope you can get it going. Wish I had one of those
              Hey Ventanakaz. Thanks they sure are a rare find. I will keep an eye out for another one that's going for a reasonable price ( you'll be the first I notify. after I take the Arms of course) I located one a few weeks before I got mine in a classified ad but the guy wants $5,600 or something close to that. it is complete but way too much for me. I've been traveling a lot for work so I check antique shops, flee markets and local ads when I'm out of town. I'm back in NJ but i currently have a coworker in Chicago doing a search for me and a antique shop owner in South Dakota that I meet in my travels possibly with the extra help another gem will be found.

Thanks
              Mario Isaac Albero
              PunchDrunk
              OIIIIIIIO

Comment

• PunchDrunk
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                Also these were sold by Everlast for years without some of the details of the originals. There are a lot of these still in use
                Hey Dutchman thanks for the valuable information this gives me more options for my search. I still haven't found much but a lot of dead ends. Would you happen to know of any links for the Everlast versions or a model. I wonder if finding the patent for this model might lead to something a detailed description and drawings possibly. I'm not sure how that work's. I guess thats where I will continue searching

Thanks
                Mario Isaac Albero
                PunchDrunk
                OIIIIIIIO

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
                  Hey Dutchman thanks for the valuable information this gives me more options for my search. I still haven't found much but a lot of dead ends. Would you happen to know of any links for the Everlast versions or a model. I wonder if finding the patent for this model might lead to something a detailed description and drawings possibly. I'm not sure how that work's. I guess thats where I will continue searching

Thanks
                  Mario Isaac Albero
                  PunchDrunk
                  OIIIIIIIO
                  Here's a good place to start:
                  Search and read the full text of patents from around the world with Google Patents, and find prior art in our index of non-patent literature.

They have a TON of patents.
                  Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                  http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

If it was good enough for Floyd Patterson,,,
                    Attached Files

Comment

• PunchDrunk
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                      If it was good enough for Floyd Patterson,,,
                      It's more than good enough for me. Great photo of Floyd Patterson with the speed ball

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...