Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Nichols base - eBay - $15.50

If anyone needs a spare,,,

Attached Files
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

It's gone now. Will adorn my garage soon.

thanks fedora

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Couldn't go to a better home !

Comment

• fedora
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2012

I got this today. It is in really good shape, all the chrome or nickel is still good, no flaking. I just needed to buff it up a little as it was a tad dirty. I'm pretty sure this one was designed for the rope tie off on the bag as the sides are cut out, unlike my other one that is solid all the way around. I'll keep looking for a ball for it.

fedora
        Last edited by fedora; 03-02-2015, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

If you search "Lamp parts"... you'll find some nice brass balls too!
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• fedora
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2012

Thanks for the suggestions. In looking closely at the inside of this base, it doesn't look like it was ever used. There is absolutely no sign of wear where the ball would nest at the bottom of the bell. It has a patented date of June 12 1900 on it. Also on the bottom is says "Nicols No. 309"

I just found an Ad for this swivel in a July 1900 issue of Iron Age mag. with a pic of this swivel with a ball in the base and a rope out of it, I couldn't copy the pic, but the ad says this

"5triking Bag Swivels. Herewith illustrated are striking bag swivels, offered by Nicol & Co.. 55-57 W. Washington street, Chicago, Ill. In Fig. 1 is shown No. 309, having a ball bearing. and Fig. l.—Nicol’l Striking Bag Swivel N0. 309. made of gray iron. The manufacturers state that it is almost impossible for the cord to break or wear out. as all the friction bears directly on the ball, which moves at will in any direction with the swing of the bag. The swivels are ornamented and nickel plated on copper. In use both styles of swivels are screwed to the ceiling."

Kinda cool.

fedora
              Last edited by fedora; 03-03-2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...