• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

antique spoked wheel platform w/ bag in good condition

This is an odd one, and in nice shape. Would make a nice decoration to hang from the ceiling,,,

Maybe the seller would ship?
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

It's on craigslist too, so hopefully the price won't get bid up to ridiculous levels...

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      It's on craigslist too, so hopefully the price won't get bid up to ridiculous levels...
      Far as I know there is no bidding, $100 takes it. If I lived in Salt Lake City it would be a no-brainer. I've seen plenty of old wooden ring style platforms for sale, but never a bicycle spoke wheel type like this one.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

It does not show the swivel connection to the axel very well. Looks to be an original home made attempt at a rebound ring. Pretty cool actually. But I imagine with the small screws holding it up in the center it vibrates pretty bad. definitely more for decoration.

Good find, though. another unique speed bag configuration.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Somewhere in the hard drive of my other computer(which is near death) is a copy of an ad for this rebound ring. This is the best preserved example of this particular type ring that I have seen. It was yet another attempt at reducing the weight of the ring while also reducing the noise and vibration. I could conceive that it could reduce the noise factor, but I'd imagine that after a break in period things would start loosening up. The swivel arrangement looks to be nothing more than an eyebolt on this one. Whether or not that is original , I can't say untill I can get into the other machine again.

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            Somewhere in the hard drive of my other computer(which is near death) is a copy of an ad for this rebound ring. This is the best preserved example of this particular type ring that I have seen. It was yet another attempt at reducing the weight of the ring while also reducing the noise and vibration. I could conceive that it could reduce the noise factor, but I'd imagine that after a break in period things would start loosening up. The swivel arrangement looks to be nothing more than an eyebolt on this one. Whether or not that is original , I can't say untill I can get into the other machine again.
            It will be great if you can post the ad here. And I hope someone with an interest in speed bag history gets a chance to buy this bad boy.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Yeah, mine too. I've got several windows computers near death. I'm planning on going to Mac and try to spend more time actually computing than trying to figure out and solve a problem in the OS. I should have done it years ago, but I'm a slow learner sometimes....

So you're saying this was a standard rebound ring that was advertised years ago? I thought it was a personally made cycle tire that was adapted.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

The problem I'm having with the cpu in question is that the power supply fan is about shot, and it's not serviciable. The power supply heats up and things start shutting down. It's a rebuilt (several times by now) eMachine and I've come to the conclusion it's just not worth resurrecting anymore. The hard drive is new, so I'm saving my pennies to build up a new one and utilizing this hard drive as a secondary.

As far as the ring, it's one of many variations that were not only patented but actually manufactured and sold. Tenision wheels where one of the major engineering fascinations during this era. Al kinds of things use this principal, not just bicycle & motorcycle wheels. The original Ferris Wheel at the 1892 Chicago Worlds Fair was a tension wheel, as has been just about every one built since.

As we all know the life expectancy of this equipment can vary. The stuff that didn't work out (such as this rebound ring) make finding survivng examples an interesting piece of history of "physical culture" as they referred to it in the late 19th and early 20th century.

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Yeah, mine too. I've got several windows computers near death. I'm planning on going to Mac and try to spend more time actually computing than trying to figure out and solve a problem in the OS. I should have done it years ago, but I'm a slow learner sometimes....
                  You know who to call if you need help. I've had only Mac at home for 3 years now, but I use Windows daily at work as well.

The problem I'm having with the cpu in question is that the power supply fan is about shot, and it's not serviciable. The power supply heats up and things start shutting down. It's a rebuilt (several times by now) eMachine and I've come to the conclusion it's just not worth resurrecting anymore. The hard drive is new, so I'm saving my pennies to build up a new one and utilizing this hard drive as a secondary.
                  That's what I was going to suggest - pop the hard drive into another machine as secondary.... along with a good backup, don't want to lose that bit of speed bag history. Actually, have you ever considered creating a web site dedicated to speed bag history?

Comment

• atgatt
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Seems strange to me. Spokes are not made to take a side load like that. They're meant to work in a mainly vertical direction, not horizontal. I'm no expert, but I wonder not only how long it will last, but how solid is the rebound.

No thanks, not for me.

Comment

• Dutchman
                      Speed Bag Historian
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                      Seems strange to me. Spokes are not made to take a side load like that. They're meant to work in a mainly vertical direction, not horizontal. I'm no expert, but I wonder not only how long it will last, but how solid is the rebound.

No thanks, not for me.

Thus the reason why there are so few surviving. The rebound ring as we know it (the tubular metal and the rubber sleeved bar type) evolved and survived (and still available from at least one firm in Canada, that I'm aware of). The rest of them were beat into submission and disappeared.

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

Okay, I've just realized where I've seen the ad for this lately. It's currently on eBay

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Amazing. three models:

A Eureka, Cyclo an Lind stiking platform models.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Sep 2009

Here's some information from 1903 on the Eureka platform, courtesy of Google Books.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• metaldad
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2007

I just find it amazing the tools that were used back when to condition the body. How would something like that spoke platform be hung? What was the purpose of the spokes?
                              sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...