Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Platform diameter size?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Platform diameter size?

    Hi. What platform diamater size do you suggest for someone who will primarily be using 9x6 and maybe sometimes a 10 bag? I was thinking 20" diameter , 2" thick, pine

  • #2
    You have to allow for the length of the swival, and the eventual "stretch" in the loop. Don't go with anything smaller in diameter than 24" for the bags you are talking about. You don't ever want the belly of the bag to hit the far edge of the platform. Two inches is good for the thickness.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      You have to allow for the length of the swival, and the eventual "stretch" in the loop. Don't go with anything smaller in diameter than 24" for the bags you are talking about. You don't ever want the belly of the bag to hit the far edge of the platform. Two inches is good for the thickness.

      Hi Steven,
      I agree with Dutchman. Stay with a 24 inch board or larger if possible.
      Speed Bag

      Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

      THE 10th Year Reunion!

      sigpic

      The Art of the Bag

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks. I'll do that then. What swivel do you guys suggest? I was just about to place my order with Title for the speedbag and just order their pro swivel, but then I noticed some people here had complaints about it. So I held the order till I find out (preferably one from Title so I can just order it with the speedbag ... but no biggie if not)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Steven View Post
          Thanks. I'll do that then. What swivel do you guys suggest? I was just about to place my order with Title for the speedbag and just order their pro swivel, but then I noticed some people here had complaints about it. So I held the order till I find out (preferably one from Title so I can just order it with the speedbag ... but no biggie if not)

          HI Steve,

          I hate to be picky, but right now I count FIVE swivels on Title's site with the words "..pro swivel"

          I suspect you mean the Deluxe Pro Swivel with the U-Bar, which is not a bad swivel. Several people use and like them.
          the only one I would absolutely avoid (just my opinion) is the E-Z Pro swivel, for a dump truck with two flat tires is faster than this thing.

          out of that bunch, MY personal choice would be ( ) the plastic ballhook. Take the metal shank eyebolt out of the plastic ball, and glue it back in with loctite or some other superglue.

          Other opinions may differ, but that's my preference out of your choices there.

          Another "non title" choice would be the watkins, or Boxing GearĀ® swivel, discussed here.
          Speed Bag

          Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

          THE 10th Year Reunion!

          sigpic

          The Art of the Bag

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the TITLE Pro Swivel: http://store.titleboxing.com/ps.html ... so your suggestion is to get the plastic one and unscrew the metal eye bolt, but then re-attach it with glue? Or are you saying remove the eye bolt completely? Thanks again for helping me out.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Steven View Post
              Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the TITLE Pro Swivel: http://store.titleboxing.com/ps.html ... so your suggestion is to get the plastic one and unscrew the metal eye bolt, but then re-attach it with glue? Or are you saying remove the eye bolt completely? Thanks again for helping me out.
              Yes. Myself and several others have had taken the eyebolt out, put superglue on it and screw it back in and it holds very well. Least it did for me.
              Speed Bag

              Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

              THE 10th Year Reunion!

              sigpic

              The Art of the Bag

              Comment


              • #8
                yeah I used superglue as well... but thinking of chaning to a Pro or Deluxe Swivel from Title - I tried one and it seems so smooth compared to the plastic....

                Comment


                • #9
                  I checked Home Depot and the hardwood plywood sheet was around $50 ... is it possible to use another kind of plywood besides hardwood? I'm completely clueless in terms of woods

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Steven View Post
                    I checked Home Depot and the hardwood plywood sheet was around $50 ... is it possible to use another kind of plywood besides hardwood? I'm completely clueless in terms of woods
                    Send a PM to Chris M. He is a master craftsman with wood and can probably point you in the right direction.

                    ...and there are a few others in here who are extremely knowledgeable about working with wood, metal etc.
                    Speed Bag

                    Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

                    THE 10th Year Reunion!

                    sigpic

                    The Art of the Bag

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Steven View Post
                      I checked Home Depot and the hardwood plywood sheet was around $50 ... is it possible to use another kind of plywood besides hardwood? I'm completely clueless in terms of woods
                      You don't need hardwood plywood. Get a pine 3/4" plywood sheet (4'x8') it should run you less than $20.00 at Home Depot. If it's going to be used outdoors, spend the extra for pressure treated, but only if it's going to be outside in the rain. If you get the 4'x8' sheet, you might as well make your platform 36" double thickness.

                      Your Home Depot may sell cut sheets, and if that's the case, buy two 2'X2' sheets, that may save you some money and you can make a drum that is 24" by 1 1/2"

                      Glue those two 24" sheets together with some decent wood glue and you'll have a decent platform that is 1 1/2" thick.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Steven....

                        .....advice don't get no better than the above


                        Roscoe

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                          .....advice don't get no better than the above


                          Roscoe
                          Thanks Roscoe!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            thanks for the help Chris

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X