• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Big_Nesticles View Post
    its a hobby of mine too. one question what would you segest if i want to cut out a pefectly round circle (the size of a platform)?
    When I did my platform I used a big compass that I have.

I have also done this:

Place a tack wherever you want your center of the board but don't tap it in all the way. Get a string, piece of thread, or fishing line and tie it around the tack, now make sure the tack is in but not hammered in all the way. Measure out the radius of the circle and tie or tape the string to your pencil or sharpie marker.

An easy way to find the center of any board is to use a straight edge make an "X" from opposite corners only if the board is symmetrical.

Make your circle!
    Last edited by Chris M; 04-11-2007, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

what tool would you suggest?
      ________
      VOLCANO VAPORIZER
      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

what tool would you suggest?
        To cut the circle? A bandsaw would be best. If you go slow and have a new blade, you could use a jigsaw. A Scrollsaw would also work but it would be very slow.

If you want to do some sanding afterwards but want to get it done quick, you could even use a sawzall but those things are difficult to get a clean cut with. They're great for demolition work but it's like using a sledgehammer to put up paneling or drywall.

I've seen guys use tablesaws to cut circles with homebuilt jigs but it's very dangerous and I sure wouldn't do it. I've had boards kickback on me and I'll go out of my way to make sure it doesn't happen again, it's scary as hell.

Comment

• Roscoe
          • May 2006

Cutting it Round

its a hobby of mine too. one question what would you segest if i want to cut out a pefectly round circle (the size of a platform)?
          I used the tack and string method Chris mentioned then used my Porter Cable 2 1/4 HP router with a 2 1/2 inch straight-cut router bit but the 2 1/4 inch pine was too much for it, kept bogging down so I adjusted the bit and routed one half of it then turned the drum over and routed the other half. I used a bar as a guide arm screwed into the middle of the drum and attached to the router. I cut it down to 32"s

Something I noticed: Those two 36" rounds of pine from Home Depot are slightly wavey so I broke out the belt sander to get the surface I was after.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
            To cut the circle? A bandsaw would be best. If you go slow and have a new blade, you could use a jigsaw. A Scrollsaw would also work but it would be very slow.

If you want to do some sanding afterwards but want to get it done quick, you could even use a sawzall but those things are difficult to get a clean cut with. They're great for demolition work but it's like using a sledgehammer to put up paneling or drywall....
            Man, you knowledge in this area is amazing. We have a "Veteran Construction Team" in our vocational program, with a bunch of sawzalls for demolition only. Never use them for finish work.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2006

thanks for the info chris i plan on getting this done this summer with post picks wen its all done. i might go with i octagon im undecided.
              ________
              Glass Bong
              Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• nikobellic11
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Chris M View Post

There are two challenges with Forstner bits. 1. They are very expensive and 2., when using large Forstner bits, you have to use them with a variable speed drill or drill press set at very low speeds because they are removing so much material at once. If you try to use these bits at higher speed, they overheat and quickly burn the wood and dull your very expensive bit. If you have access to a drill press, that would be the best way to go, otherwise, a variable speed drill will work if you're patient. Trust me, I've ruined a couple of these bits to have learned the hard and expensive way.

The largest bit I could find was 2 1/4" and that sucker is ~$75! https://mmasentinel.com/speed-bag-platforms-swivels/ (you probabably can find one cheaper, but I strongly believe in buying good tools when I need them so I have them forever. It does save money in the long run) I think that would work depending on the diameter of your swivel. Another option would be to use a smaller drill bit with a drill press using the depth stop, you could make or countersink a hole as large as you wanted.

The only other thing to be aware of is that you probably wouldn't want to go more than 3/4" into the Ibox MDF drum otherwise you're risking breaking the board when you start hammering away on the bag.

Good luck!

Chris
                I know this is dead but I'm glad I found this. Very helpful, thank you!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...