• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouisvilleBagr
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jun 2019

Hello all,

Its been a little while.... here are a couple clips of some things I’m currently attempting to learn for everyone’s amusement I’m not sure if ZaZa will read this, but I’m trying to mimic something I watched him do so beautifully in one clip recently . For the first time, I’m sloppily practicing floating my left hand out to the side and up while my right hand links through the bag. Then I try chop the left hand right back down into rhythm. I land it decent once or twice. I’ve since began to keep my left elbow in position and rotate my forearm out, up and around....much more efficient.

This practice clip I’m trying to pull off this elbow strike/fist roll type thing continuously. Maybe someone can break it down and write this out? I haven’t been able to. This is day two of practicing this....

Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 02-21-2020, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• BagBoy
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2018

Looking good!

Break it down and write it out. I guess that would be an F-Roll with alternating I-DES (inward double elbow strike) or I guess it could be argued that it could be a I-SES (inward single elbow strike)
      Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
        Hello all,

Its been a little while.... here are a couple clips of some things I’m currently attempting to learn for everyone’s amusement I’m not sure if ZaZa will read this, but I’m trying to mimic something I watched him do so beautifully in one clip recently . For the first time, I’m sloppily practicing floating my left hand out to the side and up while my right hand links through the bag. Then I try chop the left hand right back down into rhythm. I land it decent once or twice. I’ve since began to keep my left elbow in position and rotate my forearm out, up and around....much more efficient.

This practice clip I’m trying to pull off this elbow strike/fist roll type thing continuously. Maybe someone can break it down and write this out? I haven’t been able to. This is day two of practicing this....

I'll try to break it down for you. In the top video, I am not sure specifically what you are trying to do, so whatever it is You would need to tell me the time sequence like "1:17" or something because it all looks pretty natural to me and you are talking about a very slight alteration of your arm position. I will tell you this, if you pass through and let your (left) fist float more out to the side as the other fist goes behind, and then bring it in more naturally from the side, your will be doing a "Reverse-Side" Double punch, written (R-SDP) instead of a "Reverse Double Punch" (RDP). The main difference it in the RDP, both fists hit the rear portion of the bag, but in the
        R-SDP, the lead fist will contact the reverse area and the Second fist will hit more on the side panels of the bag. Normally when you do this both fists will end up in the front of the bag in the same position. However, when you learn to control the SIDE fist contact you can actually vary the contact point on the "side" panel to be more from reverse-side, or more straight side, which can slightly alter the rebound angle IF you need to. It can also create a clearly different visual for the people watching.

OK your second video is a bit easier. Of course, it will be detailed.

In this Bottom video it is very clear to me that you are actually doing a FOUR WAY ELBOW STRIKE, called the Out-&-Down 4 Way Elbow Strike, Written as
        (O-D 4Way). I show the actually written notation with your "Elbow" and "Fist" contacts below. You appear to do this off, or mixed in with, Front Fist Rolling (F-Roll).
        Actually, not that hard to do when you know the sequence.

From the F-Roll, notice your Right-Elbow ' Right-Fist hits in the "Outward Double Elbow Strike" (O-DES), Followed by your left arm doing a "Downward Double Elbow Strike" (D-DES) on one rebound. When you put the those two double elbow movements together in one smooth movement with one rebound
        in-between the four parts, you have created the FOUR WAY Elbow Strike. I named that movement "Four Way" because I couldn't think of another name that name actually joins the movement with "Out" + "Down" and all four parts.

There are 2 key points in this combination.

First, as your "left" fist hits in the F-Roll, your right arm had to cross the body to get the right fist (sort of) under your left ear, which puts that right Elbow in the correct "outward" ready position. Then the bag comes of the board and rebounds into the Outward Elbow.

Second, As your right arm is now doing the O-DES, you have to raise your left arm up to into position for the Downward-Double E.S. (D-DES).

Clearly you can "cheat" these positions slightly and still pull it off, particularly at speed on a small bag, And sometimes it looks like your Left Arm doesn't clearly go straight up for the Downward Elbow, but sort of Crosses your body a bit to make it more of an "Outward Double Elbow + Outward Double Elbow" movement. Something I have only seen done accurately and purposefully Zach "Speed Bag Skunk" Ruffo, who did it that way because I had the mistaken audacity to say it could be done. That's OK. Around him and a few others at the gathering I have learned to carry a small salt shaker because it softens the taste of eating crow for things I said could not be done. I have since learned that I should "could not be done - by ME." Skunk has given me a few servings on that one!

I don't really seen any "Purposeful" Inward -Double Elbow Strikes (I-DES) in this video, but it does seem that your Right Elbow does make a few "inward contacts" as that arm is crossing over the body to position for the outward. You would have to point out at what point you did it on purpose. At least "I" don't clearly see it.

Fist Rolling (usually only 2 or 3 punches...)

Click image for larger version  Name:	LouisvillBggr- F-Rolling.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.3 KB ID:	119229

Done right off the Fist Roll

Click image for larger version  Name:	LouisvillBggr-O-D4way combo.jpg Views:	2 Size:	102.1 KB ID:	119226

Sequence written

Click image for larger version  Name:	LouisvillBggr-O-D4way combo written.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	119227
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Speedbag; 02-26-2020, 11:23 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jun 2019

Thank you so much for the feedback. I've had a few days to smooth out that move from the first video. You'll see me doing it a little better below with that grey Pro Ball we were discussing. I really like the way it looks when the float hand/arm rotates from behind the bag back to the front by floating out to the side, up and around. While the float arm is rotating, you have some options with the non float hand. You can do a standard link through or add some double taps forward or backwards. You simply have to adjust the timing of the float hand to match it.

I haven't been doing the second sequence long enough to master. I do feel like every day I can get my elbows up closer to the inward elbow strike. Definitely can't pull that off yet. I still have to use a larger bag to keep it going for a decent amount of time. I have been trying this sequence on and off for a couple months. Just in the last week or so I’ve began to keep it going for short time. The key to this sequence is keeping your arms and shoulders relaxed and using the big muscles in your back. If there is any tension in your arms or shoulders, you can’t move them fast enough to keep up and you will quickly burn out.

Attached Files
          Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 02-27-2020, 05:59 AM.

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

Nice music choice for the Bradley, love that song. I like the angle of the camera because you easily can see the direction of the bag. However, your left elbow often hides your right fist and a strike. Maybe raise the camera up a few inches?
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jun 2019

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
              Nice music choice for the Bradley, love that song. I like the angle of the camera because you easily can see the direction of the bag. However, your left elbow often hides your right fist and a strike. Maybe raise the camera up a few inches?
              Thanks Rusty, the Pro Balls prefer Australian bands. To my knowledge there is only one, so they listen to alot of 'Men at Work'!

I'll talk to my audio/visual guy (me) about that camera angle. He has a very complicated system of stacking couch pillows and blankets to mount the ipad on for the videos. We'll discuss stacking them higher.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2016

Try Inxs and AC/DC. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds is one of our favorite Australian bands. I'll try to find a good Nick Cave bagging song.
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

Here is a good Inxs track, with solid bassline syncopated with punchy drum accents.
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thank you so much for the feedback. I've had a few days to smooth out that move from the first video. You'll see me doing it a little better below with that grey Pro Ball we were discussing. I really like the way it looks when the float hand/arm rotates from behind the bag back to the front by floating out to the side, up and around. While the float arm is rotating, you have some options with the non float hand. You can do a standard link through or add some double taps forward or backwards. You simply have to adjust the timing of the float hand to match it.

I haven't been doing the second sequence long enough to master. I do feel like every day I can get my elbows up closer to the inward elbow strike. Definitely can't pull that off yet. I still have to use a larger bag to keep it going for a decent amount of time. I have been trying this sequence on and off for a couple months. Just in the last week or so I’ve began to keep it going for short time. The key to this sequence is keeping your arms and shoulders relaxed and using the big muscles in your back. If there is any tension in your arms or shoulders, you can’t move them fast enough to keep up and you will quickly burn out.

Yes, I see that move now with the left hand. In the Speed Bag Bible I called that "drift and re-enter", where a hand "floats" to another side to re-enter. You are doing it back-to-front. You can also do it Front-to-back and reverse-to-side or Side-to Reverse. When you add a "side" (Side Single Punch) to the mix, you can usually position for that by altering your elbow position, (pulling it back with slight shoulder flex) the pulls that fist to angle into the side of the bag.

In the sequence above besides "floating" a fist you are doing two DownWard Double Elbow Strikes in a row, (D-DES) ' (D-DES) like at :14 to :18. That is a great move. Not so easy to repetitively at speed.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jul 2019

Very nice job there LouisvilleBagr. Your elbow strikes are coming along nicely.Your skill level has increased significantly in a short period of time. Thanks for the video and the detailed explanations. The Gray Bradley is also pretty cool I haven’t seen that one before.- Mick Thanks also to The speedbag king for taking the time to go through the videos and teaching us the techniques.
                      Last edited by Mickey Dix; 02-27-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Mickey Dix View Post

Very nice job there LouisvilleBagr. Your elbow strikes are coming along nicely.Your skill level has increased significantly in a short period of time. Thanks for the video and the detailed explanations. The Gray Bradley is also pretty cool I haven’t seen that one before.- Mick Thanks also to The speedbag king for taking the time to go through the videos and teaching us the techniques.
                        Thanks Mick....grey Pro Ball or gray Pro Ball, that is the question. It’s in mint condition and I’m really happy with it. I’m not sure exactly when it was produced? According to the seller I’m the first to hit that bag. It’s perfectly balanced with a nice short loop. It is about an inch wider around at the fattest part of the belly than my red Pro Ball ordered a few months ago. Possibly my favorite find to date.

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Jul 2019

Thats great , I love when my bagger friends come up with a gem like that!! Cheers.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...