• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouisvilleBagr
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

I hope it works!....Go slow, this is not a race. Suddenly, sometime, it will all make sense....

Im starting to get the feeling. I see now where I was going wrong attempting to link in the SDP with both hands coming from the same side. I feel how the ending hand position after starting with the FCP will make this easier to link in with other combinations and techniques.
    Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 07-31-2019, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Cazbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2018

You have the traditional need to crank it up a notch coming back in but at the same time you are bringing it back under control. Very impressive and above par! Keep the vids coming it's a joy to watch

Comment

• Cazbag
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2018

After watching again I would say your side single punch is really right on (ssp) coming off of reverse punch , not really cranked up as previously stated. I dont think there was a side double punch there (sdp). Irregardless you are on task and ahead of the game for your length of time in!

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jun 2019

Thanks Caz, I really appreciate the feedback. I feel like I'm doing some sort of double punch here, or maybe I'm not doing it right yet? I'm catching it with a FCP, then a SSP on one rebound. Do I need to add a punch in there somewhere to make it a double punch?

Before practicing this movement, in previous practice clips, I was doing a SDP with both hands coming from the R ( L-R ). At my skill level it is difficult for me to link a combination to that.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
            Thanks Caz, I really appreciate the feedback. I feel like I'm doing some sort of double punch here, or maybe I'm not doing it right yet? I'm catching it with a FCP, then a SSP on one rebound. Do I need to add a punch in there somewhere to make it a double punch?

Before practicing this movement, in previous practice clips, I was doing a SDP with both hands coming from the R ( L-R ). At my skill level it is difficult for me to link a combination to that.

You are doing "some sort of Double Punch". You are doing a few FCP's and then a SIDE double punch (SDP) with your lead fist hitting FCP and second fist hitting SSP. they create the SDP.

NO you don't need another punch to make that a double punch, it already is. "DOUBLE" means two fists or parts. "TRIPLE strikes" have 3 parts, adding and elbow to both fists.

* After the SSP hits and comes back on two rebounds as a FCP, you could also join the "other fist from the side" to create another SDP. So you would had SDP ' ' SDP

Check out this video. The whole video may be helpful, but particularly at about 4:25 when it focuses more on SDP.

Demonstrating some Double Punch combinations from the Front, Back and Sides for a member of speedbagforum.com

not sure why this link isn't working....sorry...

Originally posted by Cazbag View Post
            After watching again I would say your side single punch is really right on (ssp) coming off of reverse punch (rsp) , not really cranked up as previously stated. I dont think there was a side double punch there (sdp). Irregardless you are on task and ahead of the game for your length of time in!
            That pretty typical, and actually not such a big deal. There is little different between the "normal" SSP and RSP and they can almost always be substituted. Even with your fist hanging out to the side, when it makes contact it is really close to the side-reverse borderline. A lot of the time it is difficult to tell if someone "fast" is doing Side or Reverse punching in a combination, and they might not actually know either. With experience you can purposely manipulate the fist contact point around the side of the bag to get more of a "side to side" rebound for some combo.

I kind of talk about that in this video at 4:50 (part of a more difficult combination) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCt7uA-gYJM&t=4s

For some reason, the [youtube] link system won't link this video's ....

eCt7uA-gYJM&t=4s" data-vcode="eCt7uA-gYJM&t=4s" data-vprovider="youtube">
            eCt7uA-gYJM&t=4s/hqdefault.jpg" alt="" />

Last edited by Speedbag; 08-01-2019, 09:09 PM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jun 2019

You are doing "some sort of Double Punch". You are doing a few FCP's and then a SIDE double punch (SDP) with your lead fist hitting FCP and second fist hitting SSP. they create the SDP.

NO you don't need another punch to make that a double punch, it already is. "DOUBLE" means two fists or parts. "TRIPLE strikes" have 3 parts, adding and elbow to both fists.

* After the SSP hits and comes back on two rebounds as a FCP, you could also join the "other fist from the side" to create another SDP. So you would had SDP ' ' SDP

Check out this video. The whole video may be helpful, but particularly at about 4:25 when it focuses more on SDP.

Demonstrating some Double Punch combinations from the Front, Back and Sides for a member of speedbagforum.com

not sure why this link isn't working....sorry...

That pretty typical, and actually not such a big deal. There is little different between the "normal" SSP and RSP and they can almost always be substituted. Even with your fist hanging out to the side, when it makes contact it is really close to the side-reverse borderline. A lot of the time it is difficult to tell if someone "fast" is doing Side or Reverse punching in a combination, and they might not actually know either. With experience you can purposely manipulate the fist contact point around the side of the bag to get more of a "side to side" rebound for some combo.

I kind of talk about that in this video at 4:50 (part of a more difficult combination) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCt7uA-gYJM&t=4s

For some reason, the [youtube] link system won't link this video's ....

eCt7uA-gYJM&t=4s" data-vcode="eCt7uA-gYJM&t=4s" data-vprovider="youtube">
              eCt7uA-gYJM&t=4s/hqdefault.jpg" alt="" />

Cant thank you enough. If you have a video up, I've watched it. A couple weeks ago I watched the first one 'Speed Bag SDP combinations' at least 20 times. I still couldn't land that side punch. What made it click for me was in this thread you suggested that the FCP and the SSP be thrown at the same time.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Cant thank you enough. If you have a video up, I've watched it. A couple weeks ago I watched the first one 'Speed Bag SDP combinations' at least 20 times. I still couldn't land that side punch. What made it click for me was in this thread you suggested that the FCP and the SSP be thrown at the same time.
                Yes they are thrown at the same time.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Cazbag
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2018

That is kinda what I was aiming to say. In the latest video you are setting yourself up to a great position but a double punch with both fists, be it side to side, or diagonal to side(same as side to side as Alan explained) wasn't there yet. Definitely working towards that end though as you were certainly setting up your lead fists. It took me quite awhile to understand what is going on with the side double and side to side double punches.... and then an even longer time to feel comfortable doing it and then the ah ha moment hits and when you got it you think now why did I over-think that into being too hard. But that is what makes the journey so great.

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jun 2019

That is kinda what I was aiming to say. In the latest video you are setting yourself up to a great position but a double punch with both fists, be it side to side, or diagonal to side(same as side to side as Alan explained) wasn't there yet. Definitely working towards that end though as you were certainly setting up your lead fists. It took me quite awhile to understand what is going on with the side double and side to side double punches.... and then an even longer time to feel comfortable doing it and then the ah ha moment hits and when you got it you think now why did I over-think that into being too hard. But that is what makes the journey so great.
                    I understand....I devoted some practice time to the SDP' 'SDP this afternoon. I do notice my SSP is still more of RSP.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I understand....I devoted some practice time to the SDP' 'SDP this afternoon. I do notice my SSP is still more of RSP.

Looks and sounds Good. NOW, just eliminate that FCP in the middle From SDP ' ' FCP ' ' ' SDP to SDP ' ' SDP. (*key is keep moving both fists together at same time. )
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jun 2019

Looks and sounds Good. NOW, just eliminate that FCP in the middle From SDP ' ' FCP ' ' ' SDP to SDP ' ' SDP. (*key is keep moving both fists together at same time. )
                        First day landing it without a FCP in between. This is a fun little combination, I look forward to polishing it up and adding it to my arsenal.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

First day landing it without a FCP in between. This is a fun little combination, I look forward to polishing it up and adding it to my arsenal.

OK, you're getting there. Keep the lead hand UP. so when your left or right fist leads the SDP and goes to the side, KEEP IT UP.

I see you're dropping them down. Here are a few screen grabs, and you do it pretty consistently. Sure you are pulling if off, But if you watch that side fist going "upwards" to bag it looks like it's more of a pinwheel motion, not straight movements. Yes this is nit picky but IMO keeping them up will add speed and control over time, and will reduce the inch or more of wasted movement going down and back up. Just my Opinion.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LouisBagger SDP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	114851
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Jun 2019

OK, you're getting there. Keep the lead hand UP. so when your left or right fist leads the SDP and goes to the side, KEEP IT UP.

I see you're dropping them down. Here are a few screen grabs, and you do it pretty consistently. Sure you are pulling if off, But if you watch that side fist going "upwards" to bag it looks like it's more of a pinwheel motion, not straight movements. Yes this is nit picky but IMO keeping them up will add speed and control over time, and will reduce the inch or more of wasted movement going down and back up. Just my Opinion.

Click image for larger version Name:	LouisBagger SDP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	114851
                            Cant thank you enough. Nit picky is exactly what I need. I will be focusing on keeping my hands up.

Comment

• Cazbag
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Sep 2018

Now your cooking! Look forward to seeing the polished version within the arsenal

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                                Speed Bag Guru
                                • Jun 2019

Now your cooking! Look forward to seeing the polished version within the arsenal
                                thanks Caz, its already much better. Not quite 'automatic' yet, but getting there. I'm at work right now miming the motion with my hands. Someone will probably call HR soon. I plan on ripping on the bag all weekend. We'll see how it looks next week. I truly appreciate everyone who took their valuable time to watch my crappy videos to help me improve!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...