Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd week in and struggling

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2nd week in and struggling

    Hi

    Heres a video I took today. Looks like a am definitely not keeping my hands up, or my arms up for that matter. To be honest, I am struggling as much as enjoying training on the bag. I have the bible book, but am not really getting on with it,. I am still waiting for the DVD to arrive.

    Any direction would be helpful.

    Cheers
    L

    If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
    So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.

  • #2
    Lower the platform 1-2". You are fighting the elevation right now. You can bring the platform up when you get into your grove.

    -Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
      Lower the platform 1-2". You are fighting the elevation right now. You can bring the platform up when you get into your grove.

      -Rusty
      I'll do that. Thanks buddy.

      It's a good job I mounted it in such a way that I could bring it down
      If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
      So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.

      Comment


      • #4
        Lee, just a few suggestions.

        Stand closer to the bag.

        Your punching is coming from your shoulders. Keep your arms parallel to the floor, and try to strike the bag in smallish circles using your elbow as the point of rotation. Little, to no, movement from the shoulder.

        This will help you with "linking" as well. When attempting to do linking, your fist must extend completely though the bag so that after the second rebound (the rebound when the bag is closest to your face) your fist is in position to strike the bag from the rear before the bag reaches the vertical position. If you watch your video closely, you can see that when you attempt to strike the bag from the back, you're really hitting it from below and and somewhat behind. Ideally, as you strike the bag from the front, your fist should travel "through" the bag as the bag is making its first rebound. Your arm should be parallel to the floor and fully extended after that first strike. Your fist will be close to the far side of the platform, and it position to strike the bag after the second rebound.

        All this can be found in the SBB book you have. Alan has great photos and explanations that you can follow very easily without the DVD.

        Just take your time and practice, and be patient. Everything will fall in place.

        Check out some of the videos from this forum. And look on Alan's site:

        http://speedbagcentral.com

        He has many helpful videos posted there.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Biff View Post
          Lee, just a few suggestions.

          Stand closer to the bag.

          Your punching is coming from your shoulders. Keep your arms parallel to the floor, and try to strike the bag in smallish circles using your elbow as the point of rotation. Little, to no, movement from the shoulder.

          This will help you with "linking" as well. When attempting to do linking, your fist must extend completely though the bag so that after the second rebound (the rebound when the bag is closest to your face) your fist is in position to strike the bag from the rear before the bag reaches the vertical position. If you watch your video closely, you can see that when you attempt to strike the bag from the back, you're really hitting it from below and and somewhat behind. Ideally, as you strike the bag from the front, your fist should travel "through" the bag as the bag is making its first rebound. Your arm should be parallel to the floor and fully extended after that first strike. Your fist will be close to the far side of the platform, and it position to strike the bag after the second rebound.

          All this can be found in the SBB book you have. Alan has great photos and explanations that you can follow very easily without the DVD.

          Just take your time and practice, and be patient. Everything will fall in place.

          Check out some of the videos from this forum. And look on Alan's site:

          http://speedbagcentral.com

          He has many helpful videos posted there.
          Thanks Biff

          I had from watching my video worked out that I was too far away. I accidentally found a couple of Dee Deville's early videos yesterday, and it was a lot more obvious that she was keeping her hands up. Alan obviously does the same, but his slow is about a million miles per hour, so your trying to see everything at once and missing it all if you know what I mean. I have done about 30 minutes so far, still nice and slow, but focusing on my hand position. Will give it another week then post another vid. My bible DVD has just arrived, so I'll have a look at that next week.

          Thanks
          L
          If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
          So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.

          Comment


          • #6
            im impressed

            hello,lee.i am of course a beginner too.i just watched your video.after two weeks,i dont think you are struggling,i think you are doing pretty good.farther than me.is that a 10 by 7 bag?i did not realize my 10-7 was warped till the other day.need to order a bladder for it.ive got a 6-9 a little faster but I just need to take it easy

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kelly View Post
              hello,lee.i am of course a beginner too.i just watched your video.after two weeks,i dont think you are struggling,i think you are doing pretty good.farther than me.is that a 10 by 7 bag?i did not realize my 10-7 was warped till the other day.need to order a bladder for it.ive got a 6-9 a little faster but I just need to take it easy
              Hi you might try watching some of my videos they may help my bagging is slow so you could see what I am doing. hope it helps you bag on. and thank you for posting.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kelly View Post
                hello,lee.i am of course a beginner too.i just watched your video.after two weeks,i dont think you are struggling,i think you are doing pretty good.farther than me.is that a 10 by 7 bag?i did not realize my 10-7 was warped till the other day.need to order a bladder for it.ive got a 6-9 a little faster but I just need to take it easy
                Hi Kelly

                Thanks for taking the time to reply. Perhaps I am just over thinking it and think I should be better than I am. That ego is getting in the way of progress again. After Biff's advice I moved closer to the bag and I have been working on keeping my hands up and initially I was miss hitting it, as I had changed the impact point of my hand on the bag. I am still trying to keep the bag as slow as possible. I the bag is a 10x7 picked it up cheap on eBay.

                Over the last few days the flow has been getting better.

                Cheers
                L
                If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
                So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rehamco1 View Post
                  Hi you might try watching some of my videos they may help my bagging is slow so you could see what I am doing. hope it helps you bag on. and thank you for posting.
                  Is there any easy way we can see your videos?

                  Cheers
                  L
                  If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
                  So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lee Chapman View Post
                    Hi

                    Heres a video I took today. Looks like a am definitely not keeping my hands up, or my arms up for that matter. To be honest, I am struggling as much as enjoying training on the bag. I have the bible book, but am not really getting on with it,. I am still waiting for the DVD to arrive.

                    Any direction would be helpful.

                    Cheers
                    L


                    Just spent the last couple of days looking at the bible dvd. I have been looking at the arm motion mainly. Last night I filmed myself and it was obvious that I was pawing at the bag. Just done another 30 minutes really concentrating on my arm position, and my reverse single, double and r roll are definitely better.

                    THE only downside is that I'm off tomorrow on vacation for a week, and won't be able to practice.

                    Cheers
                    L
                    If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
                    So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Lee,

                      I am not one to give advice on the speed bag as I am still finding my way as much as you are. However, I think it to be ok to pass along a tip or two that I have learned from watching many YouTube SB videos. There is a guy on YouTube that names himself the "Punch Professor". He has a boxing gym down in Florida somewhere . Anyway, in one of his videos he was describing the motion the hands should follow while hitting the bag. He said the hands should follow a path much like the chain on a bicycle follows. Made sense to me
                      Last edited by REB; 02-23-2017, 05:20 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by REB View Post
                        Lee,

                        I am not one to give advice on the speed bag as I am still finding my way as much as you are. However, I think it to be ok to pass along a tip or two that I have learned from watching many YouTube SB videos. There is a guy on YouTube that names himself the "Punch Professor". He has a boxing gym down in Florida somewhere . Anyway, in one of his videos he was describing the motion the hands should follow while hitting the bag. He said the hands should follow a path much like the chain on a bicycle follows. Made sense to me
                        The Punch Professor is a good friend and crazy good advocate of all bags training. Here is the video with the bicycle chain reference at 5:00min

                        I also like his reference of "one punch, two hands" for the Front Double Punch (11:00 min)



                        I have always loved his "Dingle Ball" video's




                        Speed Bag

                        Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

                        THE 10th Year Reunion!

                        sigpic

                        The Art of the Bag

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That is some good stuff right there. He is a unique, knowledgeable and entertaining feller
                          Last edited by REB; 02-23-2017, 07:49 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Biff View Post
                            Lee, just a few suggestions.

                            Stand closer to the bag.

                            Your punching is coming from your shoulders. Keep your arms parallel to the floor, and try to strike the bag in smallish circles using your elbow as the point of rotation. Little, to no, movement from the shoulder.

                            This will help you with "linking" as well. When attempting to do linking, your fist must extend completely though the bag so that after the second rebound (the rebound when the bag is closest to your face) your fist is in position to strike the bag from the rear before the bag reaches the vertical position. If you watch your video closely, you can see that when you attempt to strike the bag from the back, you're really hitting it from below and and somewhat behind. Ideally, as you strike the bag from the front, your fist should travel "through" the bag as the bag is making its first rebound. Your arm should be parallel to the floor and fully extended after that first strike. Your fist will be close to the far side of the platform, and it position to strike the bag after the second rebound.

                            All this can be found in the SBB book you have. Alan has great photos and explanations that you can follow very easily without the DVD.

                            Just take your time and practice, and be patient. Everything will fall in place.

                            Check out some of the videos from this forum. And look on Alan's site:

                            http://speedbagcentral.com

                            First video

                            and

                            He has many helpful videos posted there.


                            Originally posted by Lee Chapman View Post
                            Just spent the last couple of days looking at the bible dvd. I have been looking at the arm motion mainly. Last night I filmed myself and it was obvious that I was pawing at the bag. Just done another 30 minutes really concentrating on my arm position, and my reverse single, double and r roll are definitely better.


                            THE only downside is that I'm off tomorrow on vacation for a week, and won't be able to practice.

                            Cheers
                            L
                            +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                            Lee,

                            I would agree whole heartedly with what Biff states. Because of your position so far away from the bag, you are making contact (good contact in front) at almost full extension of your arm. This would be more like a power punch to a heavy bag, hitting hard with full weight shift at the point of full extension. This is also a secret to power punch training with a speed bag, usually a the big bags...... stand back away from the bag to increase power. It is very similar to golf, in that your use the longer club with a larger swing arc to hit the ball harder and further. Your punching from the front like a full long driver. Move in closer to decrease the distance of your swing arc, swinging from the elbow, reducing the distance that fists move (repetitively) and thereby hitting with less for but more speed. Moving in closer will also solve another problem with linking, or passing the fist(s) thru the bag.

                            First, with your longer full extension swing, Your fist contact on the Front Straight Punch (FSP) appears to be sideways, with the thumb up higher then the little finger. AT least with your Right fist. (See pic #1 below) This will making linking difficult for a couple of reasons. First, at full extension you don't really have much room to extend "thru" the bag and as you reach to make it, your hand will drift downward - under the bag. This will create problem number 2 swinging Upward on the Reverse Single Punch (RSP) which you can see in Pic #2. This will either hit too low under the belly of the bag, and drive the bag upward into the swivel, or you will miss-hit noticeably.
                            IMO, the single biggest cause of this is the angle of your palm, which is a key to linking. To pass one or both fists thru the bag it is much easier if you palm if facing downward to the floor. On you FSP contact, thumb upwards, your palm is facing your face, not the floor. When you move in closer, the contact point of the Front Circle Punch (FCP) will be on the little finger SIDE of the fist, with your palm facing down. IF you hit the belly of the bag, (not over it) and let your fist go straight after the contact, then the bag will actually be on the board during the rebound, effectively passing OVER YOUR HAND which is moving only an inch or two forward. When the bag comes off the board from that rebound.....your hand has already cleared the rebound arc and is now behind the bag. I have seen these hundreds of times in super slow motion video ... on high speed shutter of 1/1000 of a second, and did this on virtually every size bag...and it was always the same. When bag height is correct, and fist contact is correct, the bag is compressing on board during the rebound when the fist passes straight thru, so it is already behind the bag, just beyond the arc of the rebound, when the bag starts moving downward.

                            I explain that in this video at about 2:20 (this video is explain a more detailed double fist pass combination, but somehow I went back to explaining how it works.... it just happens)



                            I would suggest a way to fix your linking issue. The single biggest problem for "most" people in learning this is the contact of the Reverse Single Punch (RSP), [ and both fists in the Reverse Double Punch (RDP)]. On these techniques you can't really see the contact point and you're fishing for it hoping to find that sweet spot. To find that spot faster, Start doing a lot of Reverse Single Punching. Take you position closer to the bag and extend your arm out to almost full extension so you fist is behind the bag, then start punching from behind for repetitive Reverse Single Punching (RSP) x3 or 4 etc. This will help you find that sweet contact point on the back of the bag, then, after a given number (4 or 5 RSP) then pass the fist Palm down to the front for Front Circle Punch (FCP), and the pass it back to the reverse position. This is really doing your normal linking of "front to back" in reverse, "back to front" but IMO this helps learn it faster, for you already have good contact on the front of the bag, so Reverse this combination allows you to practice your weakest point more than your strongest. You do have good time on your front fist contacts, that is not a problem. This will help develop your contact and timing from behind the bag. Eventually you will need this control from 360 around the bag once your start side punching. (*hint: side punching is no more than re-positioned reverse punching )

                            I've added a picture of this combination but for my explanation above, start with picture #4 of the sequence. Do 4-5-6, 4-5-6....several times then pass to #1.

                            In reviewing your Front Fist Rolling (F-Roll), Your video shows what happens when you stand so far away from the bag to make fist rolling kind of difficult. For efficient F-Roll you want to be up close and lean in, reducing the rebound distance of the bag. Create a "V" with your fists by having your fists under your chin so your elbows are our a bit beyond your fists. This will create a safer surface for a continuous clean contact and rebound. I also suggest you hit a few Front Circle Punches (3-5) to establish bag movement and contact, then start your rolling. It is a bit harder to start F-Rolling from a dead still hanging bag, because there is no speed established and after that first punch you should "lean in" to reduce the distance the bag rebounds. Hint: this will automatically make the Roll faster by reducing bag movement distance. I made a few screen shots of your F-Roll in Pic #3 below. Notice your contact is above the bag belly, actually "pawing" downward a bit. You will fix that pretty quick.


                            Sorry this was a bit long, but hopefully it will help advance your bag skills.
                            I look forward to your next videos!! keep punching.
                            Attached Files
                            Speed Bag

                            Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

                            THE 10th Year Reunion!

                            sigpic

                            The Art of the Bag

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hi all, I am a re-newbie....started hitting the bag in 1957 and lost access to one and just recently rekindled my interest. I got bit big time, this time. bought some bags and built a platform and have put in about an hour a day getting back what little I had back in 57. I have been watching you tube seeing some great speed bagging. After one month into it I came across this forum so decided to register. I am not real computer savvy so it took me about an hour to find out how to execute a post. I hope this qualifies as a first post.I would hate to think I will be washed out because I can't figure out how to enter a post. I purchased a dvd of the sbb but it won't play on either of my players so I returned it and ordered a hard copy of it from amazon. Wish I had come here first. Anyway I am progressing rapidly and am devouring all things speed bag. Did some speed bag art on a sweatshirt I have and have an idea for a swivel that I imagined. I wanted to say hello and thank you to Alan,Tim,Mathew and Dee for all the videos that I have watched since I re-started the first of Feb 2017. Adios for now..Ric

                              Comment

                              Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...
                              X