• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Bag O'clock

It wasn't Bag O'clock until well after dark but after four days away from home, how could I refuse?

• Alex Skylakos
    • Oct 2014

Damn bro! Showing much progress as always!

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2015

My nonagon is way better than the concrete filled plywood box I have been hitting under.
      It is so solid. I guess it does weigh over a ton. The poles go about 4feet into the ground, set in concrete and with the solid wood drum the result is a waay faster rebound. Now I know what I have been missing out on! And I actually thought my ply box was all good. Little did I know.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
        My nonagon is way better than the concrete filled plywood box I have been hitting under.
        It is so solid. I guess it does weigh over a ton. The poles go about 4feet into the ground, set in concrete and with the solid wood drum the result is a waay faster rebound. Now I know what I have been missing out on! And I actually thought my ply box was all good. Little did I know.
        The solidity of the board makes all the difference in world. Rarely do we ever find a board that will NOT vibrate - but when you do you will immediately recognize the difference. I think a lot of speed bags get blamed for being "slow" when in fact it is the set up that is the problem.

That hat rig makes you look like a Coal Miner, so I can imagine that imagine is what Loretta Lynn was singing about.

Artist: Loretta Lynn / Song: Coal Miner's DaughterLoretta Lynn performs "Coal Miner's Daughter" at a concert in 1978. LYRICSWell, I was borned a coal miner's...

Easy Song for punch drumming in mid speed "straight time punching".
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          The solidity of the board makes all the difference in world. Rarely do we ever find a board that will NOT vibrate - but when you do you will immediately recognize the difference. I think a lot of speed bags get blamed for being "slow" when in fact it is the set up that is the problem.

That hat rig makes you look like a Coal Miner, so I can imagine that imagine is what Loretta Lynn was singing about.

Artist: Loretta Lynn / Song: Coal Miner's DaughterLoretta Lynn performs "Coal Miner's Daughter" at a concert in 1978. LYRICSWell, I was borned a coal miner's...

Easy Song for punch drumming in mid speed "straight time punching".
          Hopefully I am the coal miner and not his daughter! I have a fire, lots of kids but am not ready to die quite yet

Comment

• stefoz
            • Apr 2015

Amazing progress ,you look very dedicated !!!!That is a big plus

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2015

Tick Tock bag O'clock

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Tick Tock bag O'clock

I'd say you don't have to think about where your hands are or the number of rebounds required anymore. You're walking those fists and elbows around the bag from every side to every other side with NO problem.

Now, wasn't that easier than you thought
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  I'd say you don't have to think about where your hands are or the number of rebounds required anymore. You're walking those fists and elbows around the bag from every side to every other side with NO problem.

Now, wasn't that easier than you thought

Yes It was easier than I thought. And I believe what made it possible for me to achieve was by working my way through The Speed Bag Bible. Then learning to hit to music tuned my ear in to the sounds I was generating. And I have you to thank for that too!

Now learning a new combo is as easy as writing it, then hitting it.

Here is a fun one-
                  R-L(FDP)'R(SSP)'L(RSP)''L-R(FDP)'L(SSP)'R(RSP) repeat..
                  So it is a four punch fist roll alternating between left and right hand lead fist.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Yes It was easier than I thought. And I believe what made it possible for me to achieve was by working my way through The Speed Bag Bible. Then learning to hit to music tuned my ear in to the sounds I was generating. And I have you to thank for that too!

Now learning a new combo is as easy as writing it, then hitting it.

Yes that is pretty much true. OR....doing a new combo by mistake and now you can write it down and analyze it. It is amazing how much one can teach, and learn when you can read and write the music. Unfortunately, very few have the disciple or take the time to learn that way, ...preferring to see a quick video demo or mimic someones moves. I realize it is a way that works for them, and the world has plenty of drummers who can play great but can't say or play the rudiments, or write a note of what they did. Every instrument has them and many play at very high levels, as do speed baggers who never learn exactly what the differences are between a Downward Triple Elbow, the Outward Triple Elbow or Side Triple Elbow. But for the ones like YOU who have taken the time, time to read the many long practice exercises and examples I wrote for you.. It has made a huge difference. It is the only way I can seriously teach from several thousand miles away. You are the perfect coupling of insight, desire, practice and more practice. And suddenly, it's there. You can do it, you know how to do it and really see how it all works. Funny how it is really not so hard once you arrive at where you are in skill and understanding. You will also be an excellent teacher and that makes me the happiest ....for now the cycle can continue. I hope some day to share the same space under your board.

Here is a fun one-

R-L(FDP)'R(SSP)'L(RSP)''L-R(FDP)'L(SSP)'R(RSP) repeat..

So it is a four punch fist roll alternating between left and right hand lead fist.

Actually, I call that combo "a four punch walk around"... (I've done it for years ) AND it works fine with music if you understand how to do it.

The combo will start with the lead fist of the (FDP) landing on the beat (rather then the second fist), and you will emphasize the RSP, which lands in between beat 1 and 2 (1-and..), after the pass back to the front of the bag, the lead fist of the second FDP will also land "on" the next beat (beat 2), then walk the SSP to the other side and emphasize that last RSP which lands at "4 and " ...to pass back to the front (after two rebounds).

The secret is knowing you have to speed up your fists a bit to pull it off, so if you are just straight time punching in triplet rhythm with a single fist, let that single fist contact be the "lead fist" of that first FDP. The let it fly and put a little emphasize on the RSP contact, for that is the punch that will keep it all in sync. (In your video I already hear that RSP a bit louder than the others.)
                    At least that is how it works for me. Start out with slow music at first for this combo has to fly to pull it off.

hope that helps.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2015

[QUOTE=Speedbag;50199]Yes that is pretty much true. OR....doing a new combo by mistake and now you can write it down and analyze it. It is amazing how much one can teach, and learn when you can read and write the music. Unfortunately, very few have the disciple or take the time to learn that way, ...preferring to see a quick video demo or mimic someones moves. I realize it is a way that works for them, and the world has plenty of drummers who can play great but can't say or play the rudiments, or write a note of what they did. Every instrument has them and many play at very high levels, as do speed baggers who never learn exactly what the differences are between a Downward Triple Elbow, the Outward Triple Elbow or Side Triple Elbow. But for the ones like YOU who have taken the time, time to read the many long practice exercises and examples I wrote for you.. It has made a huge difference. It is the only way I can seriously teach from several thousand miles away. You are the perfect coupling of insight, desire, practice and more practice. And suddenly, it's there. You can do it, you know how to do it and really see how it all works. Funny how it is really not so hard once you arrive at where you are in skill and understanding. You will also be an excellent teacher and that makes me the happiest ....for now the cycle can continue. I hope some day to share the same space under your board.

It will be a dream come true for me and I will be truly honored to hit the bag with The King.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2015

Any time he wants to play on the swing it is bag o'clock.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2015

Just some random bag hitting.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2015

Hit the bag.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2015

Every Day.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...