X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Skylakos
    • Oct 2014

My first vid.

I've only just started to learn all the tricks about 4 months ago when I bought my first platform, so I'm still kind off new at this but plan on getting better. It may be a new hobby but it's the funnest hobby I've ever had. I'm posting this vid but it's not a great one. I don't quite have the moves down good enough yet to do them as fast as I would like. Please leave me any constructive criticism you can. Thanks
    Last edited by Alex Skylakos; 10-04-2014, 06:56 PM.
  • Alex Skylakos
    • Oct 2014

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

My vid

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

That's more than just good, it really sounds good.

Comment

• Alex Skylakos
        • Oct 2014

Thank you . Means a lot. I still need to learn how to smooth out the rough edges, and be able to transition better from combo to combo but I supose that all comes with practice.

Comment

• Eric
          • May 2014

nice video

That was pretty smooth ! You've got lots af punches !
          Nice bagging !

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

4 months? ...That's awesome! You're a natural. Keep at it and post more videos as you go.
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Alex Skylakos
              • Oct 2014

Thanks guys. I learned how to hit a speed bag when I was 19. I took boxing for a while and learned the basics. Boxers always keep the platform high as to train fighters to keep their hands up. I knew how to hit a bag for a while, but had no idea you can do any of the tricks and cool mix ups you can do until I bought myself this platform some months back. Now I'm hooked. lol. I find it to be very addictive for some reason. Can sit out there and hit it for hours sometimes and then have no clue where the time went.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Alex Skylakos View Post
                Thanks guys. I learned how to hit a speed bag when I was 19. I took boxing for a while and learned the basics. Boxers always keep the platform high as to train fighters to keep their hands up. I knew how to hit a bag for a while, but had no idea you can do any of the tricks and cool mix ups you can do until I bought myself this platform some months back. Now I'm hooked. lol.
                I find it to be very addictive for some reason. Can sit out there and hit it for hours sometimes and then have no clue where the time went.

Ahhhhh, another bagaholic! Welcome to the addiction, Alex. I would spend hours out in the garage my first year. Didn't make my partner very happy, but he can only blame himself. He's the one who got me hooked.

Looking very good for only 4 months. You picked up some great moves on the bag, and I noticed the scissorshand spin.

(BTW, nice bikes, too.)
                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Alex Skylakos
                  • Oct 2014

Thanks. I appreciate it. Made a few mistakes and figured I try to save it with a Speed Bag Scissorhand spin, but I don't quite have that one down yet. lol.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I've only just started to learn all the tricks about 4 months ago when I bought my first platform, so I'm still kind off new at this but plan on getting better. It may be a new hobby but it's the funnest hobby I've ever had. I'm posting this vid but it's not a great one. I don't quite have the moves down good enough yet to do them as fast as I would like. Please leave me any constructive criticism you can. Thanks
                    Alex, that is Pretty awesome if you ask me. Very solid contact. Perhaps I can offer a few pointers?

I would suggest you practice a bit on the three reverse techniques a bit more, Reverse Single Punch (RSP), Reverse Double Punch (RDP) and Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll). You are doing them but with less assurity and control as the front counterparts. Note :29 - :30 and the six RSP with the Right fist. Your elbow is noticeable dropped down and you're punching slightly upwards. When you reset that right arm in the front at :30 you bring it back up. Try doing the RSP with the elbows "up" in that position, for when you move to a smaller bag and go faster you will regret dropping that elbow. I also hear your reverse punches hitting a bit weaker. For fun, Examine every single and double fist technique you do from the front of the bag and do it from reverse. Every fist punching combination from the front can be "echoed" or duplicated from the bag, and when the bag masters do them and you close your eyes you cannot tell which sides of the bag their fists are contacting. You certainly have the control to do that if you clean up your reverse contacts a bit.

2:

Note 1:15 - 1:21 sequence Front Double Punch (FDP) ' ' Reverse Double Punch (RDP) ' ' Side Double Punch (SDP) ' ' Side Double Punch (SDP). I write that like this:

FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP. You do the FDP ' ' RDP fine but I notice you are dropping both your fists through in a slightly downward arc, coming a bit upward on the RDP. again my reason for point #1.

Your are a bit weaker on the SDP ' ' SDP and I think it's because you are trying to wave your fists a bit sideways from the shoulders, not the elbows. I know you can do it ok, because at :20 you complete the Side-Triple Elbow Strike ' ' S-TES (S-TES) ' ' (S-TES) combination and the fists make solid contact. That side triple elbow combo is much harder than the Side Double because you have to make the elbows contact.

Best suggestion I would have is practice starting that FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP combination from every punch, not just the front.

FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP (normal)

RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP...

SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP

SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP

Now mix it up a bit and throw in a triplet rebound every so often. Keep the elbows up (careful... )

FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' FDP.

FDP ' ' ' SDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP

To make it more challenging, Make each FDP and Outward Triple Elbow Strike (O-TES) [just a FDP with an elbow in the front]

and every SDP a S-TES, [just a SDP with an elbow in front.]

I'm betting you can handle this pretty quickly.

Last edited by Speedbag; 10-06-2014, 07:53 PM.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Alex Skylakos
                      • Oct 2014

Thanks for the advice. It means a lot. I learned quite a bit from watching some of your videos on youtube. Your definitely right in everthing you said. I need to work harder on those side double punches. When I saw you do it in your video it looked effortless. I need to work on not using my shoulders as much and swing it from the elbows instead. I also need to work more from the back of the bag so I'm not weaker in the back then in the front. I'm still learning the lingo so it will take me a little while to fully disect your message but I'm going to take all of your advice and brake it down.

I was actually thinking about ordering a new bag offline. The one I have now is great. I have the TitleBlack Pro. But when I ordered it I anticipated it would be a little bit smaller. Anything you can suggest for a good, fast, smaller size bag?

Comment

• Biff
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Very nice job; pretty damn good for a few months of bible baggin.

Comment

• Alex Skylakos
                          • Oct 2014

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm honestly not sure of the bag size. I just know that it's the second smallest TitleBlack Pro bag they have. I would like to get a smaller size bag but don't want to get a smaller version of the one I already have. Not that it's a bad bag. It's great. But it's starting to split open right at the TB lettering for Title Black. Still pretty new so I've never replaced a bladder yet. I was reading that the plastic bladders are also pretty good because they have a lot of bounce. Not sure how that applies when doing tricks though.

If any of you guys can recommend a nice, speedy, smaller sized bag I'd appreciate it. Looking for something nice and snappy..lol

Thanks Guys-Alex

Comment

• Del-Striking
                            • Aug 2014

I just received my first Leone small bag. I think it's a perfect size and man is this thing fast. Not sure about the durability we'll have to see.

Comment

• Speedbag
                              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm honestly not sure of the bag size. I just know that it's the second smallest TitleBlack Pro bag they have. I would like to get a smaller size bag but don't want to get a smaller version of the one I already have. Not that it's a bad bag. It's great. But it's starting to split open right at the TB lettering for Title Black.

If any of you guys can recommend a nice, speedy, smaller sized bag I'd appreciate it. Looking for something nice and snappy..lol

Thanks Guys-Alex
                              The small 8x5 title classic is smaller in size than the 8x5 title black pro, but it's also lighter and feels different off the fist. It takes a little time to adapt to it
                              bag link: http://store.titleboxing.com/title-c...peed-bags.html

here is the 8x5 classic in use, Oh Yeah!

one note: You say you are a beginner? If so, you need to realize going to a smaller, faster bag also requires the skill to control it. If you can't do that, the extra speed it may yield is meaningless.

Still pretty new so I've never replaced a bladder yet. I was reading that the plastic bladders are also pretty good because they have a lot of bounce. Not sure how that applies when doing tricks though.
                              IMHO, the bladder material doesn't apply at all to doing "tricks". The ability to do tricks (ie.....advanced combinations from all sides of the bag with fists and elbows) is directly related to the skill and control of the bagger, not the material of the bladder. A bagger that has the skill and ability to control the bag movements should be able to quickly adapt to any difference created by the bladder or bag materials.
                              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...