• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoobydoo
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2014

New here: pics of my home made setup

Hey there, I'm new here but been watching for a while. I'm 32 and was first introduced to speedbag at the local gym when they installed a cheap one last year.

I had some metal left in the garage so I welded me a fixed stand, and laminated a 2inch drum. Voila:

I also made a simple setup for my kids!

I wanted to try a big bag so I went all out with the Title XL it's huge!!! It's so big that it's really hard to make it work, at least with that type of swivel.
    compared to my other XS bags:

• fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Hey, that's a great setup. The platform looks really sturdy. No vibration out of that one. The finish job on the wood looks great too.

fedora

Comment

• swfl
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2013

Thank you for posting. It looks very nice.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Unreal thickness in that board. Love the bag comparisons. Big Blue is pretty huge by todays standards.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• scoobydoo
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2014

Thanks for the nice comments!

Update on Title XL blue bag: I'm beginning to like that bag since it's a more demanding workout. You need to hit real hard every time in order to get it going. Combos are more difficult for that reason, but I enjoy it.

I'm now looking for medium and large size Title classics.
          Last edited by scoobydoo; 01-22-2014, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
            • Apr 2012

looks nice, i would like to try that.
            Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by scoobydoo View Post
              Thanks for the nice comments!

Update on Title XL blue bag: I'm beginning to like that bag since it's a more demanding workout. You need to hit real hard every time in order to get it going. Combos are more difficult for that reason, but I enjoy it.

I'm now looking for medium and large size Title classics.
              Back off the power and you can really have time to let combinations develop and feel the flow of the fist motions. You'll almost feel like you are "waiting on the rebound" but it's a great speed to work complicated combinations like walking the fists around the bag, "front,side,back"

(FDP) ' SSP ' (RDP)

or

(F-Roll) ' SSP ' (R-Roll)

or the now famous "3-punch monty" combo

(FDP) ' SSP ' ' (SDP) ' (RSP)

notice 3 punches (bag contacts). First one starts off the Front Double Punch (FDP) and it repeats again (3 punches) starting from the Side Double Punch (SDP).

(FDP) ' SSP ' ' (SDP) ' (RSP) ok .... for the record, you can also start from behind: (RDP) ' SSP ' ' (SDP) ' (RSP)

You can really feel these movements hitting easy on the big blue Title.

(* tip: be sure to contact this bag very low on the belly and hit straight into the bag. On this ex-large bag, If you hit in a downward angle with fist contact on the top of the belly you will find you hands looping way down to go under it. That is not necessary but this bag is so fat that the belly doesn't go "up over your hand as it passes through" unless you make contact low on the bag)
              Last edited by Speedbag; 02-05-2014, 08:25 PM.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2010

Awesome! This looks to be a very solid platform (drum). Very Nice.

There's nothing better than a nice solid wood drum to speed bag on. And nothing worse than a shaky drum attached to a flimsy frame.

A few of times, when i've been to the local sporting goods store they have those stands that have a heavy bag and speed bag combo. The board moves so much when the bag hits it, the movement of the board kills the bag's rebound. It's such a horrible experience for me to bag on one of these type of stands. Normally i can't come anywhere near a speed bag and platform without at least hitting for a minute or so. But whenever i see these heavy bag, speed bag combo racks i cringe.

Maybe there are a few solid combo racks out there, but i have only had a bad time with them.
                Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...