• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swfl
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2013

Advice wanted

Good evening,
    The forum has been kinda quiet lately so here is a little something... This skill has been very difficult for me to learn. Months now...Take a look and give your two cents please. Maybe all it is....More time under the board. The camera angle isnt optimal, but its a video. Thank you.

Last edited by swfl; 11-26-2013, 11:16 PM.
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

It took me about 5 weeks of working on this move everyday before I could do it at will on any bag I own. I'm not as experienced as others here in breaking down the technique, but I would say that I found it helpful to just practice doing one arm at a time starting with some front to back linking with one arm and then come across with the opposite arm with the straight punch followed by the outward double elbow. Repeat on the other side. Hope I explained that right.
    You may be going past the bag farther than you should on the inward elbow. It makes it harder to catch the bag coming right back again with the outward elbow

fedora
    Last edited by fedora; 11-27-2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• florian 380
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by ventanakaz
      Ahh, your having trouble with the four-way, if you want I could make a vid and post it, and I'll do it slowly if that will help, but that will have to wait till next week when I get back home. So let me know...ralph
      would be cool . i have problems too with the 4 way
      thank u

Comment

• rehamco1
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2013

good advice

looks like you have gotten a lot of good advice and maybe you just need more time under the board. keep bagging.....I want to see that teaching video too

Comment

• Jollygood49
          • Jan 2013

I'm not the greatest at the 4 way either but have been getting better at them. Here's a video of my version of the 4 way, some strikes are a little sloppy but maybe something can be learned from them. Best of luck and just keep practicing.

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Is anybody doing 4-ways that go forward and not side-to-side?
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Jollygood49 View Post
              I'm not the greatest at the 4 way…
              You look pretty good to me, JG!

Hey swfl, I'm not very good at analyzing, but I think fedora might have a point. Maybe you're going too far past the bag when you strike it with the last elbow, and the pause before coming back is too long, throwing off the timing.

Maybe try taking another video with the camera propped up higher and from directly behind you, so you can watch it to check your stance/form. See if both elbows are hitting the bag with equal pressure and from the same angle as you go back and forth. Using a larger, heavier bag to practice on might help, too. It's just a matter of practice, practice, practice. Looks like you almost got it, though!
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• deano
                Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

SWFI suggestions

I'll offer a suggestion that may help when doing the 4 way(double roll in oz) SWFI.some great advice above also.but for me when doing this I try to increase the angle of attack of the elbow wether in or out this will minimise your upper body movement and allow you make more of a positive point of contact .I find it much better to make contact with the knuckles and back of hand as opposed with the thumb and little finger area.it might be good to break the combo down and practice individual movements and then add bit by bit.on a clip I put up some time ago Biff was good enough to do a slow mo of it maybe check it out regarding the angles hope this helps deano
                Last edited by deano; 11-28-2013, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• swfl
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2013

Thank you all. Great words of advice. Hopefully my next video will include this move.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                    Is anybody doing 4-ways that go forward and not side-to-side?
                    Originally posted by swfl View Post
                    Thank you all. Great words of advice. Hopefully my next video will include this move.
                    Actually the angle of attack will really determine the number of rebounds.

The secret to this combo (and I can tell you I don't do it well with two rebounds side-to-side yet) is the last strike of the first 4way (inward elbow) and the first strike of the second 4way (outward elbow of same arm).

If you do this in a more side to side motion, your inward elbow at the end will strike the front of the bag but more towards the side panel, sending the bag to a slightly more sideways angle. the bag will hit the board, come off at a side moving angle, make the second rebound on the other side of the board, allowing the return outward elbow to strike after two rebounds. (opposite side = 2 rebounds).

If you hit more on the "frontwards" with the inward elbow the resulting rebound angle will better struck after three rebounds, (normal) or 1 rebound if you can feel and control the double bump action to do this. after the first inward elbow connects you cannot follow through with the elbow. You hit, pause and let the bag the bag come back into the elbow. But there is a secret to this, you must move that elbow just a smidge sideways to let that single rebound clear the inward point of the elbow so you can connect it with the outward (tricep side) of the elbow coming back, and it is not a hard connection, just a soft double bump. The fist of the outward elbow (remember, at this point it is an outward Double Elbow movement) will add any extra power needed, but you won't need much if you are doing these in multiples.

The best way to feel this is to break it down to the "Inward Double Elbow" (fist-elbow), to outward double elbow (elbow-fist). Do these two techniques in combination time after time with one arm, then the other, and see how the connection and angles of movement affect the number of rebounds needed. The other part of the fourway, (the leading arm) will be a lot easier when you get this more difficult connection down.

Jollygood's video is an excellent video showing the angles of contact setting up this combination on TWO rebounds inbetween.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    Last edited by Speedbag; 11-29-2013, 01:03 PM.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...