• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Vintage Venice Beach 1989

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by Dutchman; 09-07-2013, 07:14 AM.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

MsDeville, is that you? Have you been harboring a secret ?

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

That's great! I'm going to try to get in touch with them, might be able to squeak a bit into the film....good find.
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Yeah, she has some of those Showtime Johnny Pal moves going on.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Awesome. Just imagine what she could do if the bag wasn't clear over her head. She also looks strangely familiar, but the name is wrong ....
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag Man
            • Jan 2011

I do believe that's a chain link swivel. Personally, I find them the fastest. Guess what goes around comes around.
            "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• PunchDrummer
              • Jan 2012

Wow! Inspirational!
              Venice Beach is always a good show - with a healthy dose of "weird" tossed-in for free.

There is a short "Norm's Restaurant" commercial airing here in So. Cal featuring a Venice Beach bagger, but I can't find it online.

Good example of the downside of "Interlaced" video format for high-speed motion (vs. "Progressive").

Go Nadine!
              Last edited by PunchDrummer; 09-07-2013, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Nadine.

I've lost track of how many times I've watched this video of Nadine. She's amazing — so impressive. I mean, she's doing elbows! And spins! And she's nailing them! Who was doing these moves in the 80s, other than Showtime Johnny Pal and Alan Kahn? She said an old Mexican taught her how to speed bag. (Read the comments made on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGGJmCfggxk)
                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• CeSalt
                  • Nov 2013

Pssst…. Too late for the film, but Nadine is Nadine Rollerskater on Facebook.

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
                    • Apr 2012

So awesome!!
                    Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

• Dutchman
                      Speed Bag Historian
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by CeSalt View Post
                      Pssst…. Too late for the film, but Nadine is Nadine Rollerskater on Facebook.
                      Who apparently now lives in France

Comment

• paranday
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                        Who apparently now lives in France
                        No worries mate, they've got some nice beaches in France.

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

But none that I'm aware of that you can bag at........

Comment

• CeSalt
                            • Nov 2013

I came across her on Vimeo, but looking at this vid on YouTube I see that her last comment gives us some hope: "i will do it again just to use my left side as much as my right." Question is, will she take us along? I sure hope so!

Comment

• iBag
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post

I've lost track of how many times I've watched this video of Nadine. She's amazing — so impressive. I mean, she's doing elbows! And spins! And she's nailing them! Who was doing these moves in the 80s, other than Showtime Johnny Pal and Alan Kahn? She said an old Mexican taught her how to speed bag. (Read the comments made on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGGJmCfggxk)
                              I grew up in Venice and the San Fernando Valley(Yea that caused some problems =)) and remember a good number of speed bag enthusiasts who were performing these highly impressive elbows and spins as well as other amazing techniques.

I never met Nadine or remember seeing her hit the bag, but at the time of that video I was also enjoying surfing and skateboarding.

The guys who I remember hitting the bag in that manner were training with Joe Ponce, Blinky Rodriguez/Benny and Lilly/Jet Center/Jet's Gym as well as the Goosens... And people that I had no clue of who they were affiliated with.

I remember a lot of trash talking during those times in regard to the use of elbows and spins, and I personally adopted the old school mentality of not using those techniques.
                              After taking a long break from hitting the bag(s) I have found that I'm still stuck in my old ways but have much appreciation and respect for people who include those skills in their flow/technique.

Anyway, There's still a great bunch of speed bag enthusiasts at Venice, including two particular females who remind me of the heart and dedication that is displayed by Nadine, and this thread has motivated me to plan on shooting some footage of them and then post it here ASAP.

Also, I missed that Norms commercial and am eager to see it, to hopefully identify the 'bagologist'.

Thanks for posting that amazing video and I'm looking forward to becoming a positive and productive member of this online community.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...