X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • looster
    • Jul 2012

Restoring my Narragansett platform

I got this platform earlier in year. Unfortunately, the adjustment wheel was broken in shipping ( BTW- thanks for the help and comments from SBF on my previous posts ). It is pretty old, the finish was very uneven and since I had to get a replacement wheel ( not the exact same type, but close ) , I wanted to see about refinishing the unit. Little did I know about Japanning , the finish that the factory put on these ( very interesting history , Japanning was used by Henry Ford, Singer Sewing machines, etc.) However , it is very very messy, requires that the parts are heated to 400 degrees before applying the very volatile finish and takes sometime months before cured. Well, that was out.
    I used Zip Strip on the old finish, it bubbled up into an unholy mess. OK, it was obvious- sandblast this nice old cast iron. I found a great shop in Denver and just picked up the parts,they look great. Cant wait to prep and paint the cast iron and finish the piece. Pics attached. ( BTW- nothing will be done to the wooden round platform section, it has a great patina and after all of this time, is in great shape.
    Attached Files
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

High quality looking castings ! Agree with leaving the wooden drum alone.

Comment

• looster
      • Jul 2012

I can tell you this- I looked for one for about 4 years. when the opportunity presented itself, I jumped on it.

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Looking good! I powder coated mine, that gets all the nooks & crannies...and it's a tough finish. Can't wait to see this done. Nice job!
        Last edited by Zaza; 06-14-2013, 10:11 PM.
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• looster
          • Jul 2012

gracias, Zaza. I have seen yours before, beautiful job with yours.

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

If you don't care to do a museum finish, powder coating is the way to go.

Comment

• looster
              • Jul 2012

Almost finished with my NMC platform. All paint is complete, all new hardware added, the adjustment wheel is securely attached.
              The only thing left to do is to attach the HUGE 36” Diam, 1 1/12” thick drum. ( it weighs 110 pound all by itself. )
              I know it sure does not look like it, but it is a lot of work to get here, including un-sticking the frozen gears and stuck screw shaft and securing the adjustment wheel.

All done now, almost completed. Works nice and smooth now, just like it is supposed to.

Here is the photobucket link with all of the pics.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

Looks great.

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

REALLY nice...well done!

Comment

• looster
                    • Jul 2012

thanks guys.
                    I will be putting it up for sale, but it wont be cheap.
                    Anyone seriously interested is invited to contact me. Equipment is in Denver, Colorado.
                    Local pickup or I can ship - valuable and very heavy, so unit would be palletized and sent via LTL truck ( Frieghtquote , etc.)

Comment

• Cem326
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by looster View Post
                      thanks guys.
                      Anyone seriously interested is invited to contact me. Equipment is in Denver, Colorado.
                      Local pickup or I can ship - valuable and very heavy, so unit would be palletized and sent via LTL truck ( Frieghtquote , etc.)
                      Looks like you are missing the original fasteners. Have any pics of the drum?

Comment

• looster
                        • Jul 2012

I did replace the original fasteners, they were rusted and fragile and junk. I do have pics of the drum, I will post those also. thanks.

Comment

• Zaza
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by looster View Post
                          thanks guys.
                          Really? You don't bag yourself?

Comment

• paranday
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                            Really? You don't bag yourself?
                            Must be part of that new reality show, Flip This Narragansett...

Comment

• looster
                              • Jul 2012

sure i do. I have a couple of platforms, I use a freestanding older everlast unit.
                              ( I rent, so I cannot mount this heavy platform on my basement. )

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...