• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swfl
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2013

first video

Good evening. Well here it is. My first upload. All comments appreciated. This is after about a month with real equipment. The camera made me slightly distracted. Many thanks to all that have helped me get this far.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi Swfl.

I can offer a bit of insight, probably not a lot due to camera width and angle. It's a bit difficult to notice if the bag height arms position from a low rear view, but I do notice a couple of things. first my ears tell me that your bag may be a bit overinflated. Just sounds pretty hard tap off the board, which on my board is how it sounds when I overinflate a bag (I do it on purpose occassionally to push the speed but it makes control a lot more difficult, and hurts the hands after a while). Maybe it's just that everlast bag, which I'm unfamiliar with, but it sounds a bit hard.

Second, it occasionally looks as if your bending your wrist ( i notice it on left occasionally) to point the front of your fist to hit the bag when the swinging motion would probably bring the side of the fist (pinkie finger) into it, not the front. This is a fairly common issue for beginners, noticing that the front of the fist hits the bag in the basic rhythm (Front Straight Punch FSP) but that is because of the body movement motion, not purposely done from a circle punching swing position.

Think about throwing a Straight Punch to a heavy bag. notice the front of the fist hits the bag naturally. If you are standing facing the bag in a speed bag position, making a circle punch motion, the front of your fist will NOT hit the heavy bag. The front of the fist connects the heavy bag due to upper body angle and movement, NOT manipulating the fist position. the same thing works on the speed bag. You should not be doctoring or manipulating the fists to force the side of front of the fist to contact the bag. It should happen naturally.

You contact points sound fine, didn't hear many mis-hits, a few due to speed changing faster a slower at times, but I think you were doing that on purpose. Timing of all seems pretty solid and not overswinging that I see. Fists are coming pretty close to board at times...

Front Double Punching appears OK, but not sure about fist positions at contact. again. looks like you may be bending the wrist a bit to make the contact happen.

Stepping to side on Reverse Punching. OK, perhaps a bit too far than might be needed, but that is OK for now. As you get more control of Reverse punching that should correct itself and not have you stepping over so far to the side.

Fist Rolling sound good. A little tense, but everything right now comes off a little tense because you are concentrating on everything trying to make it all work. That will relax over time and begin to feel a bit more relaxed and smooth over time.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 04-30-2013, 02:01 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

Alan, I always admire and appreciate your analytical breakdowns of people's performance.

fedora

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Great job for a month! Love the platform, it looks good & solid. Alan is a godsend and I think it's safe to say, has helped everyone here advance quickly...thanks again Alan.

Keep on baggin' SWFL and don't worry, the camera always makes you crazy until you get used to it. I can hit flawless for an hour straight, turn on the camera...and it all goes to hell!
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• swfl
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2013

One thing for certain. Video will show things that you can not see. It was apparent my wrists were in poor position and Alan was kind enough to give his thoughts. In just a couple of days while concentrating on my wrist position my skills have grown. Again, thank you all for your help.
          Mike

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
            Keep on baggin' SWFL and don't worry, the camera always makes you crazy until you get used to it. I can hit flawless for an hour straight, turn on the camera...and it all goes to hell!
            Don't forget to bring a Hand Basket...

Originally posted by swfl View Post
            One thing for certain. Video will show things that you can not see. It was apparent my wrists were in poor position and Alan was kind enough to give his thoughts. In just a couple of days while concentrating on my wrist position my skills have grown. Again, thank you all for your help.
            Mike
            That is often the case. It is difficult to see your own positional problems, slight swing faults or other problems you may have. A teacher or coach working with you probably would, If they knew what to look for. Unfortunately many boxing trainers or related fitness trainers might not know enough about "fancy bag" or Bible Style punching. Their use of the bag and methods, set up, swing motions, movements etc. are not necessarily the same for how they use the speed bag.

Originally posted by fedora View Post
            Alan, I always admire and appreciate your analytical breakdowns of people's performance.

fedora
            Thanks. I've always believed that was the purpose and intent of the forum, particularly when posting video's asking for review and help. Tim's original intent was to was to offer the unique premise of "online tutorial" where other more experience speed baggers would review peoples video and offer helpful suggestions, being honest but courteous in reviewing, particularly beginners. The internet has as many Darth Vaders as Luke Skywalkers, always someone with an axe to grind or hateful putdown, and the premise of the forum, since I've been a member, was bad behavior would not be tolerated, allowing us to have a more genuine learning and sharing platform. I try to review members video in the same light I would if I was standing there next to them, and tell them what I see and hear, and try to find a way to either improve what might need improvement, or offer something new with what they have and might not know about yet. It often appears wordy and perhaps a little overdone sometimes, but what you might tell people in person, or quickly show them on the bag, always comes off a lot longer in written words, particularly when I drop into the technique and abbreviation names. But, that is the only language of the speed bag I know, and created a good portion of it to try and teach what I knew at the time. Amazingly, that system now allows me to write down what I see others do and I can't, which is growing almost monthly, and I can write those down and take them to my bag when I practice. Guys like Skunk, ebo, G-town, juxt, Tommy T, Baggist, Tim and a few others have all shown me things I either didn't know or actually thought not possible or relevant, until they rip it out like it's nothing. And have you guys seen Deano? Geez, are his skills insane or what? I write a lot of what I see them do down and try to figure out how that works on the bag..

But if someone wants a genuine review and has the courage to post a video and ask for help, I will help them. I know others here would do the same, but might not be a given so much to the written word or have the time. However, at the gatherings you will find many a speed bag master from this forum side by side with beginners under the board helping and teaching. I've seen it time and time again. We talk about it here, and we do it at the gathering. And you never know who might be reading what we write. I think a lot of what we write helps people far beyond it's original intent.

I like talking bag with baggers also! my wife quit listening long ago, my cats have all disappeared and my dog died a few years back. this is just about all I got left who might listen.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 04-30-2013, 09:51 AM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• G-Town
              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Work it!

Swfi - Keep that baggin' working for you. Alan it's always a pleasure, when the "KING" is watching, with his "Yoda" like presents. See you SB4 my friend.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by G-Town View Post
                Swfi - Keep that baggin' working for you. Alan it's always a pleasure, when the "KING" is watching, with his "Yoda" like presents. See you SB4 my friend.
                Now that I look forward too!
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...