X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jollygood49
    • Jan 2013

A couple weeks more of practice

I've added a few new combinations to the arsenal. There are some mishits in there that I probably wouldn't have if I'd slow down some so I've got to work on that. I think it's almost time to work on some punch drumming. I've never really focused on it too much, any tips or advice? Thanks

• Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Looks and sounds like you have made a lot of improvement, doing some nice phantom punch elbow combinations. Good work.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jollygood49
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      Looks and sounds like you have made a lot of improvement, doing some nice phantom punch elbow combinations. Good work.

Thanks Alan!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Wow! Looking great, J-G! So, just how long have you been punching??? I know you joined the forum in January, but were you punching prior to that? You've got some great combos.

I'm not sure how other punch drummers decide on what music to punch to, but a lot of it for me is my mood. This past week I have been hitting on my small Leone bag. It's fast, so I've been punching to some music by Maroon 5. There's some rap in one of the songs ("Payphone"), and it's kinda fun to match the punching of the bag with the cadence of the rap. It forces me to have total control over the bag. Lots of fun for me.

If you enjoy music, just plug in your earbuds and put on some good music with a good beat. (This works best for me because I want to hear the music so I can match the beat of the bag with the beat of the song.)

My suggestion would be to stick with some basic combos at first, no fancy stuff. Otherwise, you'll get all wrapped up in executing them and you might not be in time with the music. I think this is a common problem with newbie punch-drummers. It's not so much about the fancy elbow punch as it is with simply keeping time with the music. It takes lots of practice. Believe me!

Start with basic single and double punches in the beginning of the music... Maybe some linking, or downward elbow strikes as you progress into the song, along with inward and outward elbows, etc.

I'm sure Alan can give you better pointers than I can. I am still a rookie at it myself!

BAG ON!!! Your skills are fantastic!
        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Jollygood49
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
          Wow! Looking great, J-G! So, just how long have you been punching??? I know you joined the forum in January, but were you punching prior to that? You've got some great combos.

I'm not sure how other punch drummers decide on what music to punch to, but a lot of it for me is my mood. This past week I have been hitting on my small Leone bag. It's fast, so I've been punching to some music by Maroon 5. There's some rap in one of the songs ("Payphone"), and it's kinda fun to match the punching of the bag with the cadence of the rap. It forces me to have total control over the bag. Lots of fun for me.

If you enjoy music, just plug in your earbuds and put on some good music with a good beat. (This works best for me because I want to hear the music so I can match the beat of the bag with the beat of the song.)

My suggestion would be to stick with some basic combos at first, no fancy stuff. Otherwise, you'll get all wrapped up in executing them and you might not be in time with the music. I think this is a common problem with newbie punch-drummers. It's not so much about the fancy elbow punch as it is with simply keeping time with the music. It takes lots of practice. Believe me!

Start with basic single and double punches in the beginning of the music... Maybe some linking, or downward elbow strikes as you progress into the song, along with inward and outward elbows, etc.

I'm sure Alan can give you better pointers than I can. I am still a rookie at it myself!

BAG ON!!! Your skills are fantastic!
          Thanks for the advice and kind words Ms. Dee! I joined the forum shortly after I got the cheapo Everlast platform for my birthday in the middle of January. Prior to that, no I had never hit a speed bag so I've been bagging for almost 2 1/2 months. Besides being incredibly addicted (and likely an undiagnosed case of A.D.D. ), this forum is the only reason I'm able to perform the combinations I can.

I definitely believe the fact it takes a lot of practice to punch drum. I haven't exactly focused on it, nor ever played a song twice in a row to try. The most I've done up to now is half heartedly trying to match my rhythm with a song on the radio without much luck. I'm really looking forward to working on this aspect of bagging now!

Thanks again for the pointers!

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Punchdrumming is easy ().... just do like Ataraxis does:

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
              Punchdrumming is easy ().... just do like Ataraxis does:

That's beautiful, amazing, incredible and beyond.

Comment

• newbagger
                • May 2010

Mesmerizing.

Comment

• PunchDrummer
                  • Jan 2012

Fast learner!
                  I like the elbow work.
                  Good video!

Originally posted by Jollygood49 View Post
                  I've added a few new combinations to the arsenal.....

Comment

• speedbagbrad
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jan 2013

incredible!
                    I really enjoy watching your style

Comment

• Marlon
                      • Apr 2013

Two and a half MONTHS ?!? WOW. I WAS gonna go to sleep, but apparently I need to go practice some more.

Good luck with the punch drumming. I'm pretty sure he was kidding about the easy part.....

Comment

• Jollygood49
                        • Jan 2013

Thanks guys! I think I'm overdue for a new video but there wouldn't be a whole lot of new stuff in it. I've been incredibly busy now that summer is here and when I get some spare time to bag I work on smoothing out my linking and I play around with a little punch drumming. Hopefully I get a little better at punching drumming so I can post a new clip sometime soon.

Comment

• Homer
                          • May 2013

I'm glad you guys post videos. It makes me realize how much I have to learn, and how much practice is ahead. Very good, Jollygood! Nice combos too!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...