• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed Bag on Titanic - exact replica

I was watching ABC "World News Tonight" the other day and saw a promo about an Australian Billionaire, Clive Palmer, who is building an exact replica of the Titanic. In the promo they showed a ceiling mount speed bag, so I got my video camera and shot video of the news segment off the TV. Below are a few pictures from the newscast, as well as a videoclip showing the same thing.

We know there was one on it's sister ship, the Olympia, but with the research being done on this recreation, it's pretty safe to say there was also one on the Titanic.

I'd love to be on this voyage, Punch Drumming to the song.......... "Cold as Ice" by Foreigner.

See :44 seconds in this video

Attached Files
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

I think Clive needs a swivel and bag consultant. Alan?

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

I think the man needs his head examined. Why build a "new" Titanic, the original was a hoodoo, jinxed from the moment the keel was laid.

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

...just go stay on the dry-docked Queen Mary....it's fun and the sister ship of the Titanic. (take the ghost tour into the bowls of the ship... pretty cool after a few drinks!)

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          I think the man needs his head examined. Why build a "new" Titanic, the original was a hoodoo, jinxed from the moment the keel was laid.
          There are a lot of reports and video's about this. He is a "Billionaire" (my math teacher wife tells me "that's a LOT of money") and wants to spend part of it on recreating history. Many of his Rich and Famous friends will buy tickets to be a part of it. I imagine it will sell out within days. As he says, there is a lot less Ice in the north atlantic now, and satellites, GPS can find any icebergs big enough to be a problem. And this new ship is being constructed with "welding, not rivets". I'd just love to take a few minutes under that ceiling board.

The biggest problem may be dodging any drifting carnival cruise ships.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            And this new ship is being constructed with "welding, not rivets".
            So much for exact replicas.... just watched a show the other night (NatGeo) about the rivets on the Titanic. Very interesting, seems some were made of iron...and the good ones made of steel. Since the beginning of time, people have been trying to save a buck I guess.

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
              So much for exact replicas.... just watched a show the other night (NatGeo) about the rivets on the Titanic. Very interesting, seems some were made of iron...and the good ones made of steel. Since the beginning of time, people have been trying to save a buck I guess.

Yes, I saw I very interesting nat geo show about that also. The best steel of the day was brittle compared to modern steel, and the rivets were substandard.

Bottom line is, if they had been going slower, heeded the ice warnings and NOT hit an Iceberg, it probably would not have sunk. So, you could say human Pride and Arrogance were as much to blame as ice or bad steel-rivets.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...