• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • speedbagbrad
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2013

Progress :)

This is my first video.
    I haven't been bagging for very long so i think my form may not be that good but i'm getting there

p.s. don't mind the elbows at the end... they are pretty sloppy lol.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by speedbagbrad View Post
    This is my first video.
    I haven't been bagging for very long so i think my form may not be that good but i'm getting there

p.s. don't mind the elbows at the end... they are pretty sloppy lol.
    Hey speedbagbrad.

Wow, you got one awesome set of shoulder boulders there, anchoring some might big guns. Nice work.

I watched your video a bunch of times to get a feel for your skill, not easy to do with a short :25 second clip, but cellphone technology may limit that time.

Your timing sounds very solid with good, consistent bag contact at the belly. A bit of a downward arc to your double fist passing, but I think that might because your kind of "shoulder reaching" rocking out and back like your pushing your arms forward from the shoulders to do repetitive front to back (Front Double Punch ' ' Reverse Double Punch combo's: FDP ' ' RDP x4 pass @ :14sec,... then to side double punch SDP.)

All of that, even your side double motion appears to dominated by using the the shoulders are the pivot point, pushing the arms from there, rather than from the elbows. Your timing and control of those movements works OK but I think you will find your speed, control and ease of movement will improve if you circle more from the elbows than shoulders.

You also seem (Just my opinion...) to be trying to hit hard, swing from the shoulders and look just a bit stiff and tight, kind of flexed as you punch, which is typical for beginners concentrating on moves and then trying to go faster with them. You don't really speed up for your bag beat is consistent and that is why I think your timing is really good for you keep a constant speed but you just appear to be a bit stiff in performing the movements, especially the double fist linking front to back. Your single Front Circle Punching (FCP) at the beginning looks really solid.

I would suggest your relax a bit in your posture and swing, circling a bit more from the elbows than the shoulders. might even want to slow down just a bit to allow that to happen and feel the motions from the elbows.

Hope this makes sense and helps. Keep it going!

Last edited by Speedbag; 02-01-2013, 12:36 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

First off, welcome to the forum from metaldad. Second, Alan gave all the advice you need. Third , your video does look very good for not being at it very long. Follow the advice of relaxing those howitzers you call arms and you're gonna be flyin in no time! It's all about control brotha! You workin some pretty advanced moves for a beginner; side punches, spinning elbows. Somebody's been studying Scissorhands! You're about as big as him too! Get your control and technique down and those anacondas will REALLY look intimidating!! Good baggin'! Keep at it andkeep 'em coming!
      sigpic

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Welcome to the forum!
        ....and just listen to Alan, he is the King after all. I can see you'll be addicted in no time.

Cheers,
        -Zaza

PS - I thought everything spins in a different direction 'down-under'?

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• speedbagbrad
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Hey speedbagbrad.

Wow, you got one awesome set of shoulder boulders there, anchoring some might big guns. Nice work.

I watched your video a bunch of times to get a feel for your skill, not easy to do with a short :25 second clip, but cellphone technology may limit that time.

Your timing sounds very solid with good, consistent bag contact at the belly. A bit of a downward arc to your double fist passing, but I think that might because your kind of "shoulder reaching" rocking out and back like your pushing your arms forward from the shoulders to do repetitive front to back (Front Double Punch ' ' Reverse Double Punch combo's: FDP ' ' RDP x4 pass @ :14sec,... then to side double punch SDP.)

All of that, even your side double motion appears to dominated by using the the shoulders are the pivot point, pushing the arms from there, rather than from the elbows. Your timing and control of those movements works OK but I think you will find your speed, control and ease of movement will improve if you circle more from the elbows than shoulders.

You also seem (Just my opinion...) to be trying to hit hard, swing from the shoulders and look just a bit stiff and tight, kind of flexed as you punch, which is typical for beginners concentrating on moves and then trying to go faster with them. You don't really speed up for your bag beat is consistent and that is why I think your timing is really good for you keep a constant speed but you just appear to be a bit stiff in performing the movements, especially the double fist linking front to back. Your single Front Circle Punching (FCP) at the beginning looks really solid.

I would suggest your relax a bit in your posture and swing, circling a bit more from the elbows than the shoulders. might even want to slow down just a bit to allow that to happen and feel the motions from the elbows.

Hope this makes sense and helps. Keep it going!

Thanks so much for the advices speedbag, I really appreciate it. Yes, I can see exactly what you're talking about with the shoulder rocking and looking stiff. I do have to concentrate pretty hard on performing my movements which does make sense with looking flexed but I also find I'm having to hit the ball pretty hard to get a good bounce. I'm pretty confident it's partly due to the swivel, so i've ordered a deville.
          Thanks again, going to get out there now and put it into practice.

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
          First off, welcome to the forum from metaldad. Second, Alan gave all the advice you need. Third , your video does look very good for not being at it very long. Follow the advice of relaxing those howitzers you call arms and you're gonna be flyin in no time! It's all about control brotha! You workin some pretty advanced moves for a beginner; side punches, spinning elbows. Somebody's been studying Scissorhands! You're about as big as him too! Get your control and technique down and those anacondas will REALLY look intimidating!! Good baggin'! Keep at it andkeep 'em coming!
          Haha thanks so much mate. Definitely taking it all on board. Yeah one day scissorhands video popped up on my youtube randomly and that's what triggered me to get into speedbagging. I was inspired and then to find a whole community of speedbagging was just phenomenal. It's pretty cool.

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
          Welcome to the forum!
          ....and just listen to Alan, he is the King after all. I can see you'll be addicted in no time.

Cheers,
          -Zaza

PS - I thought everything spins in a different direction 'down-under'?
          haha yeah it all is supposed to spin different but i guess that all changes when you're learning from americans.
          I think im already addicted zaza. I absolutely love it and can't wait to get real good!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...