X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quantumhands
    • Aug 2012

Recent videos

a recent video. slowly getting better and having a blast the whole time!
  • ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

Now that's a Cool Vid.

Nice elbow work in there.

All around killer baggin'.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by quantumhands View Post
      a recent video. slowly getting better and having a blast the whole time!
      Hey Quantumhands:

I've watched your clip several times. Very Impressive! Here is what I observe:

Single fist pass thru (FCP ' ' RSP)
      Front Fist Roll (F-Roll) to Single Fist Pass thru (.03 - 5 sec)
      Front Fist Roll to split fist combo (.06)
      Double split fists (hands changed position (.08sec)
      Side Triple Elbow Strike (.018)
      Side Double Punch R-L ( 0.20)
      Side Double Punch L-R (0.21)
      Side Triple ES R-R\L (0.24)
      Downward Triple Elbow Strike (.030sec)
      Downward Triple ES to Advanced FDP or Fist Rolling (.034sec)
      Advanced Front Fist Rolling, Fist over Fist, various (0.41sec)
      Front Fist Roll to Single Fist Pass thru (.046-47sec)
      * Front Fist Rolling with (R) Downward Double Elbow Strike ( 1.00 & 1.07sec)
      (* could be Downward Single Elbow, depending on how you view the fist contact, ie as part of Elbow Strike or part of Fist Roll)
      (F-Roll ' D-DES F-Roll or F-Roll ' D-SES ' F-Roll: Both are correct)

End first Set, Rest 1:11

Second Punching Set:

Continuous alternating Side Double Punching x18 ( SDP ' ' SDP) 1:37 - 1:45
      Front Double Punch (FDP) to Reverse Double Punch (RDP) FDP ' ' RDP 1:45sec
      Reverse Double Punch (RDP) to Front Fist Rolling (F-Roll) RDP ' ' F-Roll 1:50 sec

Great to see you using so many varied techniques and combinations. You do all techniques and linking thru the bag with very good control, I don’t hear the bag speed changing at all, very few miss hits or “near misses”, and excellent arm position. I don’t see and half moon fist movements or dipping under the bag. You fists look to be passing “straight thru” which is correct. Returning your elbows UP after the Downward Elbow is a key position point to mix downwards with Fist Rolling or linking thru the bag. Nicely done, indicating great control of movements during difficult direction changes.

Your arms appear to be “waving” sideways just a bit on the continuous Side Double Punching (1:37 - 1:45) and I would suggest that as long as you are doing the “fist only" movements (no elbows), you lock your upper arms in place and just try to move your fists from the elbows. This will reduce the tendency to sway sideways. When you anticipate using an outward elbow from this combination, then you can simply rotate your waist a bit or move the upper arm to get the proper elbow alignment. I find most people who sway back on forth from the shoulders during Side Double combinations tend to sway larger and larger, increasing their wasted motion. Just my opinion of course. Also a bit hard to see fully with the narrow video crop. (By the way, from a Side Double Punch you can also go to a Dowward Elbow Strike. Just let the lead fist of the Side Double Punch raise up a bit to position the elbow for a downward. Very easy on two rebounds. SDP ' ' D-TES. )

You are ready to take this a bit to the next level, and add more complex combinations from behind the bag.
      The secret is, you already have the fist striking skills and techniques to do these combinations, you’re just not mixing them together yet. They may sound complex, but trust me, you CAN do them. (* maybe you can do them, just didn't in this video. If so, sorry.... )

You did Front Double Punch, second fist pass to Reverse Single Punch, repeat. Abbreviated that is

FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP. You did this a lot. Fist order: L-R ' ' R ' ' R-L ' ' L ' '...repeat

You can easily reverse this and do it from the other side of the bag. Using Reverse Double Punch (RDP) to Front Circle Punch (FCP). The Abbreviations are: RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP or
      Fist order: L-R ' ' R ' ' R-L ' ' L ' '...repeat

You did NOT do that combo, but you are already passing both fists off the Reverse Double Punch,. You’re doing the Reverse Double Punch, to Front Double Punch (RDP ' ' FDP), now just change that a bit to let one fistpass to the front instead of both. It is easier to pass the Second Fist, So start from the Reverse Double Punch Position, Do a RDP and pass the second fist to front and return back behind the bag. Viola! That fist is now the lead fist for the next RDP, And then do it again, passing the second fist. It looks like this:

RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP ' ' …. repeat.
      Fist order of: L-R ' ' R ' ' R-L ' ' L ' '...repeat

It is important to understand than ANY Single Fist, Double fist or Fist Rolling combination you do from the front of the bag, you can also do from the back, or reverse position.

1. So, you are already doing FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ….. repeat L-R ' ' R ' ' R-L ' ' L

2. Now learn to do RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP ' ' …. repeat. L-R ' ' R ' ' R-L ' ' L

3. Now join them together, no stopping. It looks pretty slick and sounds amazing, and is very easy to do at this point. Just do this from one side for 2 or 4 times, then on the Double Punch (Front or Reverse) pass BOTH fists thru and start from the combo from the other side.

FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP

Note the Bold, RED FDP ' ' RDP and RDP ' ' FDP Indicating both fists passed to the other side to start the combo over. The underlined combinations echo, or mimic each other in beat pattern.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You can also do this combination that is not on this clip.

You two Double Fist pass thru combinations very well Front Double Punch to Reverse Double Punch
      And Side Double Punch to Side Double Punch. You can mix these together also.

Simple learn to go from the Reverse Double Punch to the Side Double Punch. This is actually quite easy. Front the Reverse Double Punch have the lead fist hit the bag and pass thru, veering out to the side panel of the bag just a bit, and bring the second fist straight through to the chin. Now you are set up for the Side Double Punch,

Also, after a Side Double Punch (SDP) you should be able to do a Front Double Punch (FDP) by keeping both fists in front of the bag.

So you can do this:

FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' '…repeat.

The key to this the underlined RDP ' ' SDP

I hope these suggestions help you gain a little more control and open up some new combinations for you. There are no new movements in the combinations above. You are already doing the techniques easily, this will just mix them together a bit more.

Last edited by Speedbag; 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• quantumhands
        • Aug 2012

Thank you for the complements and advice it really helps cause i was truely not sure what moves i needed to learn next. Went out and tried it tonight and its hard (rdp-single fist pass thru).

Its so difficult to not sway a lil at the shoulders when doing side double punch and it feels like when i do front double punch to side double punch 8 hit sorta combo thingy lol. My shoulders feel like they sway less then on side double punches alone.

Also been working on behind the bag fist rolls, 4-way elbows, drumming with one hand 3-5 hits at a time to learn speed and alternations, side elbow transitions into side punching from front punching combos, reverse rolling fist rolls? i think? or something like that. l-r, r-l, l-r, r-l, behind the bag with no linking, and just side elbows all together. My downward elbows are the easiest for me but going from front to back punching to side elbows is difficult still works in progress. Almost all of my elbow combos have the opposite fist hit the bag first under the elbow and last then link. It would go L-R elbow-R hand-L-L pass thru-R-L elbow-L hand-R-R pass thru, repeat.

Maybe i will post some cude raw lots of fumbles footage so you can really help me tame the wild beast in every bag lol.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Hey Quantumhands:

I've watched your clip several times. Very Impressive! Here is what I observe:

Single fist pass thru (FCP ' ' RSP)
        Front Fist Roll (F-Roll) to Single Fist Pass thru (.03 - 5 sec)
        Front Fist Roll to split fist combo (.06)
        Double split fists (hands changed position (.08sec)
        Side Triple Elbow Strike (.018)
        Side Double Punch R-L ( 0.20)
        Side Double Punch L-R (0.21)
        Side Triple ES R-R\L (0.24)
        Downward Triple Elbow Strike (.030sec)
        Downward Triple ES to Advanced FDP or Fist Rolling (.034sec)
        Advanced Front Fist Rolling, Fist over Fist, various (0.41sec)
        Front Fist Roll to Single Fist Pass thru (.046-47sec)
        * Front Fist Rolling with (R) Downward Double Elbow Strike ( 1.00 & 1.07sec)
        (* could be Downward Single Elbow, depending on how you view the fist contact, ie as part of Elbow Strike or part of Fist Roll)
        (F-Roll ' D-DES F-Roll or F-Roll ' D-SES ' F-Roll: Both are correct)

End first Set, Rest 1:11

Second Punching Set:

Continuous alternating Side Double Punching x18 ( SDP ' ' SDP) 1:37 - 1:45
        Front Double Punch (FDP) to Reverse Double Punch (RDP) FDP ' ' RDP 1:45sec
        Reverse Double Punch (RDP) to Front Fist Rolling (F-Roll) RDP ' ' F-Roll 1:50 sec

Great to see you using so many varied techniques and combinations. You do all techniques and linking thru the bag with very good control, I don’t hear the bag speed changing at all, very few miss hits or “near misses”, and excellent arm position. I don’t see and half moon fist movements or dipping under the bag. You fists look to be passing “straight thru” which is correct. Returning your elbows UP after the Downward Elbow is a key position point to mix downwards with Fist Rolling or linking thru the bag. Nicely done, indicating great control of movements during difficult direction changes.

Your arms appear to be “waving” sideways just a bit on the continuous Side Double Punching (1:37 - 1:45) and I would suggest that as long as you are doing the “fist only" movements (no elbows), you lock your upper arms in place and just try to move your fists from the elbows. This will reduce the tendency to sway sideways. When you anticipate using an outward elbow from this combination, then you can simply rotate your waist a bit or move the upper arm to get the proper elbow alignment. I find most people who sway back on forth from the shoulders during Side Double combinations tend to sway larger and larger, increasing their wasted motion. Just my opinion of course. Also a bit hard to see fully with the narrow video crop. (By the way, from a Side Double Punch you can also go to a Dowward Elbow Strike. Just let the lead fist of the Side Double Punch raise up a bit to position the elbow for a downward. Very easy on two rebounds. SDP ' ' D-TES. )

You are ready to take this a bit to the next level, and add more complex combinations from behind the bag.
        The secret is, you already have the fist striking skills and techniques to do these combinations, you’re just not mixing them together yet. They may sound complex, but trust me, you CAN do them. (* maybe you can do them, just didn't in this video. If so, sorry.... )

You did Front Double Punch, second fist pass to Reverse Single Punch, repeat. Abbreviated that is

FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP. You did this a lot. Fist order: L-R ' ' R ' ' R-L ' ' L ' '...repeat

You can easily reverse this and do it from the other side of the bag. Using Reverse Double Punch (RDP) to Front Circle Punch (FCP). The Abbreviations are: RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP or
        Fist order: L-R ' ' R ' ' R-L ' ' L ' '...repeat

You did NOT do that combo, but you are already passing both fists off the Reverse Double Punch,. You’re doing the Reverse Double Punch, to Front Double Punch (RDP ' ' FDP), now just change that a bit to let one fistpass to the front instead of both. It is easier to pass the Second Fist, So start from the Reverse Double Punch Position, Do a RDP and pass the second fist to front and return back behind the bag. Viola! That fist is now the lead fist for the next RDP, And then do it again, passing the second fist. It looks like this:

RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP ' ' …. repeat.
        Fist order of: L-R ' ' R ' ' R-L ' ' L ' '...repeat

It is important to understand than ANY Single Fist, Double fist or Fist Rolling combination you do from the front of the bag, you can also do from the back, or reverse position.

1. So, you are already doing FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ….. repeat L-R ' ' R ' ' R-L ' ' L

2. Now learn to do RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP ' ' …. repeat. L-R ' ' R ' ' R-L ' ' L

3. Now join them together, no stopping. It looks pretty slick and sounds amazing, and is very easy to do at this point. Just do this from one side for 2 or 4 times, then on the Double Punch (Front or Reverse) pass BOTH fists thru and start from the combo from the other side.

FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' FCP ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP

Note the Bold, RED FDP ' ' RDP and RDP ' ' FDP Indicating both fists passed to the other side to start the combo over. The underlined combinations echo, or mimic each other in beat pattern.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You can also do this combination that is not on this clip.

You two Double Fist pass thru combinations very well Front Double Punch to Reverse Double Punch
        And Side Double Punch to Side Double Punch. You can mix these together also.

Simple learn to go from the Reverse Double Punch to the Side Double Punch. This is actually quite easy. Front the Reverse Double Punch have the lead fist hit the bag and pass thru, veering out to the side panel of the bag just a bit, and bring the second fist straight through to the chin. Now you are set up for the Side Double Punch,

Also, after a Side Double Punch (SDP) you should be able to do a Front Double Punch (FDP) by keeping both fists in front of the bag.

So you can do this:

FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' '…repeat.

The key to this the underlined RDP ' ' SDP

I hope these suggestions help you gain a little more control and open up some new combinations for you. There are no new movements in the combinations above. You are already doing the techniques easily, this will just mix them together a bit more.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thank you for the complements and advice it really helps cause i was truely not sure what moves i needed to learn next.

Went out and tried it tonight and its hard (rdp-single fist pass thru).
          Yes, and in a few weeks you will be amazed at how easy it is.

Practice these:

RDP ' ' lead fist thru
          RDP ' ' 2nd Fist thru
          RDP ' ' Both

do this individually, then flow from one to the other. Just like FDP.

FDP ' ' lead fist
          FDP ' ' 2nd fist
          FDP ' ' Both

in a few weeks, your hands will be at home anywhere, in any position front or behind and you can interchange at will.

Its so difficult to not sway a lil at the shoulders when doing side double punch and it feels like when i do front double punch to side double punch 8 hit sorta combo thingy lol. My shoulders feel like they sway less then on side double punches alone.
          Most people will tend to rock forward and back on the Front Double ' ' Reverse Double combo (FDP ' ' RDP) and that body rock will follow them into the Side Double motion. Try doing some Side combinations on their own, maybe two Side Double Punches, then two Side-Triple Elbow Strikes, back to Side Double Punches to feel the positional difference: written like this:

(SDP) ' ' (SDP) ' ' (S-TES) ' ' (S-TES) ' ' (SDP) ' ' (SDP).. it's pretty fast in the double bounce rhythm. Key is keeping elbow up, turn torso a bit to position elbow strike.

Also been working on behind the bag fist rolls, 4-way elbows, drumming with one hand 3-5 hits at a time to learn speed and alternations, side elbow transitions into side punching from front punching combos, reverse rolling fist rolls? i think? or something like that. l-r, r-l, l-r, r-l, behind the bag with no linking, and just side elbows all together.
          " behind the bag fist rolls" = Reverse First Rolling (R-Roll). Good. it is probably the hardest combination to do for most people. Fists do not actually roll "over" each other as much as next to each other.

"...drumming with one hand 3-5 hits at a time to learn speed and alternations" Probably double and triple bumping off one punch. Double bump is easy, but triple or more is tough.

" side elbow transitions into side punching from front punching combos"
          Let's reverse the word order. You doing a front punch than a side elbow.
          OK, after a left Front Circle Punch or Left Front Straight Punch, the left arm can lead a Side-Triple Elbow Strike after three rebounds. You will notice you will normally go to the side elbow (actually, this is an "outward" elbow strike angled a bit sideways) with the same arm that hit the bag. ie... Left FSP ' ' ' Left lead Side Triple. or Side Double Punch for that matter. here is a practice drill.

FCP ' ' ' SDP (L ' ' ' L-R)
          FCP ' ' ' S-TES (L ' ' ' L-L \ R) or FSP ' ' ' S-TES (L ' ' ' L-L \ R)
          (replace FCP with Front Straight Punch FSP. Same as above.

FDP ' ' ' SDP ( R-L ' ' ' L-R)
          FDP ' ' ' S-TES ( R-L ' ' ' L-L \ R)
          (* these are easier if the second fist of the FDP (L) connects in FSP position, hitting the front of the knuckles.

Now work on Side to Reverse Punching

SDP ' ' ' RSP (L-R ' ' ' L)
          SDP ' ' ' RDP (L-R ' ' ' L-R.... brings hands to front of bag in R-L position.. can do this:
          FDP ' ' ' SDP ' ' ' RDP..... (R-L ' ' ' L-R ' ' ' L-R ' ' ...to front, repeat).
          FDP ' ' ' S-TES ' ' ' RDP..... (R-L ' ' ' L-L \ R ' ' ' L-R ' '.... to front).

it is important to notice a fist order change when doing SDP to RDP. In most Double Punch techniques, you will normally lead back with the last fist to hit the bag, but it is a bit easier to use the lead fist of the SDP to lead the RDP, for that lead fist will position itself behind the bag first, before the second fist clear. Therefore, it is really in the lead position. So, when you go from FDP to RDP you would normally do
          L-R ' ' R-L, leading back with the second fist (R). But when doing SDP to RDP it is easier to use the lead (first fist) L-R ' ' ' L-R, so the fist order is the same.
          (* yes, you can also lead with the second fist if you want.... but using the first fist opens the door to some more advanced combinations.... )

My downward elbows are the easiest for me but going from front to back punching to side elbows is difficult still works in progress. Almost all of my elbow combos have the opposite fist hit the bag first under the elbow and last then link. It would go L-R elbow-R hand-L-L pass thru-R-L elbow-L hand-R-R pass thru, repeat. maybe i will post some cude raw lots of fumbles footage so you can really help me tame the wild beast in every bag lol.
          Actually as written

Left Shadow FSP ' Right-O-DES ' Left FSP (pass thru to left RSP) ' ' Right Shadow FSP ' Left-O-DES ' Right FSP (pass thru to right RSP) ' ' .. is correct. You can also pass both fists thru. (note: the Left-O-DES ' Right FSP is also an Outward Triple Elbow Strike. You just wrote it with the Right fist as a separate punch, but the same combo.)

As this combination is written, if you pass both fists through and do a RDP it will bring the fists back to repeat in the same order, but if you do RDP ' ' ' RDP... then this will bring the shadow punch lead to the other arm and rotate the combo to the other arm. (* of course you could also rotate the fist order of the RDP and do it on one.. .)

hmm, went on a bit of bag rant there, sorry . but I think you have the skills to handle all of the above. Go ahead and post some footage fumbles and we'll figure it out. If you can, please raise the camera or phone up about a foot or so higher.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 11-28-2012, 05:07 PM.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• quantumhands
            • Aug 2012

fumble footage

dont go crazy cause there is alot of different thing i do. Just some pointers and where you think i need to go next, or improve on would be fine. I enjoy reading all of your advice tho and even want a copy of your book and i would rather tell you i want one over amazon. Nothing special tho i just want the book well maybe an autographed one lol. I love the bag and dont see my life without it since i found it. We have only had it for at the most a year. I have 2 bags a ringside smallest they make and a title gyro balanced one that i think is 6x9. 3 swivels plastic on plastic ball hook thats in my current videos, an u-bolt that i learned on, and a metal on metal "ball hook" thats more like a 4th of a big ball that is a horrible swivel i only used for an hour at the most and have not touched since. want a deville need to get on it and support up and coming great business's!! Thanks for watching my videos and giving me all the first hand advice it really means alot to me!

Last edited by quantumhands; 11-30-2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

dont go crazy cause there is alot of different thing i do. Just some pointers and where you think i need to go next, or improve on would be fine. I enjoy reading all of your advice tho and even want a copy of your book and i would rather tell you i want one over amazon. Nothing special tho i just want the book well maybe an autographed one lol. I love the bag and dont see my life without it since i found it. We have only had it for at the most a year. I have 2 bags a ringside smallest they make and a title gyro balanced one that i think is 6x9. 3 swivels plastic on plastic ball hook thats in my current videos, an u-bolt that i learned on, and a metal on metal "ball hook" thats more like a 4th of a big ball that is a horrible swivel i only used for an hour at the most and have not touched since. want a deville need to get on it and support up and coming great business's!! Thanks for watching my videos and giving me all the first hand advice it really means alot to me!

I could not see the video, so I answered in quotes and you had the "V=" in you youtube link. [YouTube - V=fOjExzdW9ug[/YT] you don't need the v=. No biggee. You might want to edit your post and take the V= out of your it

I'll watched it and will comment later.

Thanks for raising the camera up by the way. I find it easier to see what someone is doing when the camera is about level with the shoulders.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 11-30-2012, 04:10 AM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• quantumhands
                • Aug 2012

Fixed the video link. I want a new bag but do not know what one i should get. I am willing to spend around 50 for one. Currently i have a ringside 5x8 and title gyro balanced 9x6. i like the title way more than the ringside. The bigger bag is more enjoyable to me cause i have to HIT it to make it move when on the tiny ringside i just bump it to make it fly. so any suggestions on brand and what size i should go to next would be awesome thanks.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

dont go crazy cause there is alot of different thing i do. Just some pointers and where you think i need to go next, or improve on would be fine. I enjoy reading all of your advice tho and even want a copy of your book and i would rather tell you i want one over amazon. Nothing special tho i just want the book well maybe an autographed one lol.

Thanks for raising up the camera. It is much easier for me to see what your doing with a camera angle level with your shoulders.

OK, I've spent some time watching this and I'm thinking you mentioned somewhere that you were having trouble doing the combo

FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP

or you thought it felt weird. Well that is because you are doing it wrong, or at least with a more difficult fist order than necessary. Let me explain

1:40 - to 2:15 You did the double fist pass through como

FDP (R-L) ' ' RDP (L-R) ' ' SDP (L-R) ' ' SDP (R-L)

You do this several times.

Should be FDP (R-L) ' ' RDP (L-R) ' ' SDP (R-L) ' ' SDP (L-R)

After A Reverse Double Punch the LEAD (first fist should go to the side position for the side punch. The second fist of the RDP passes to the front by your chin and leads the Side Double Punch. Somehow you are having the lead fist of you RDP stay in front to lead and putting your second fist out to the side. Not the correct way, but you are making it work.

The fist order of your combo FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP should be

R-L ' ' L-R ' ' R-L ' ' L-R.....

you are doing this: R-L ' ' L-R ' ' L-R ' ' R-L.....

you are also changing the hands in front, because after you do the R-L SDP the next FDP should be in the L-R fist order but you again lead with your Right fist.

The above tells me you are favoring a fist, either your right or your left, I'm not sure which, but you apparently want to maintain this fist order for some reason. the way you are doing it is really rotating the fists of various double bunches, which is not "wrong" so much as it is advanced and more difficult to pull off.
                  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2:38 - 2:44

You are doing RDP ' ' pass the lead fistthru.

I notice you never leave one hand behind the bag. You will do a RDP, pass one fist to a front punch and then do another RDP, but you bring BOTH fists to the front, then let the non-punching fist drift under the bag and re-enter in the next reverse double punch. This is not "wrong" per se but you do want to learn how to leave a hand hanging out behind the bag, or to the side for that matter. It will eventually be a lot easier to leave it on the side you plan to re-use it, rather than always bring it under the bag to the front, then back under the bag to the other side.

3:20 your continuous alternating RDP combo's were very nice. that means you were doing several RDP in a row (continuous) and you were alternating your fist order R-L ' ' ' L-R, which is correct. You want to be able to lead any technique with either hand.

3:25 - 3:45 double bumping your downward elbow. Good. I find this easier to do if I do a Downward Triple Elbow Strike, allowing the lead fist (of the other hand) to establish the bag speed so I can just let it rebound off the elbow twice. I find it harder to do a double bump downward elbow by just starting with the elbow on a non-moving bag.

4:15

Out and In Four Way Elbow Strikes ( O-I 4way). Actually you are doing this very well. It is a hard technique for several reasons. You just have to work with it.

5:40 - 6:05 back to FDP ' ' RDP. Same issue, you keep bringing both hands to the front after the RDP to do a single fist front punch. These combinations are easier if you leave a hand behind the bag after a RDP.

Hope it helps.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• quantumhands
                    • Aug 2012

Thanks alan for all of your advice i have been working on alot of different things and feel like i am getting the RDP down very well. I have been working on alternate hands every 2 pass thrus so it goes r-l l-r r-l l-r then l-r r-l l-r r-l. so i can get use to either hand leading. Yes i am one fist dominate and that would be my right, i think cause thats my writing hand but the more i think about it i do use my left fist to tansition to side punches. I can only use my left hand to trasition to side punches. So do u have any advice or moves to learn for transitioning to side punches? and i want a new bag so and recommendations would be awesome. currently have gyro 6x9-9x6 something like that and ringside peanut, tiny bag, 5x7 i wanna say. it feels alot smaller than that tho. will make another video soon with the better quality camera and post for all to see. thanks again for the advice it really helps!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks alan for all of your advice i have been working on alot of different things and feel like i am getting the RDP down very well. I have been working on alternate hands every 2 pass thrus so it goes r-l l-r r-l l-r then l-r r-l l-r r-l. so i can get use to either hand leading.
                      That's good. As you have written it: R-L, L-R, R-L, L-R is correct, and
                      L-R, R-L, L-R, R-L is correct.

The first two punches are front-Reverse and the next two (underlined) are side to side double punches.

Yes i am one fist dominate and that would be my right, i think cause thats my writing hand but the more i think about it i do use my left fist to tansition to side punches. I can only use my left hand to trasition to side punches. So do u have any advice or moves to learn for transitioning to side punches?
                      I am not sure what you mean by "I can only use my left hand to transition to side punches.." - for if you are doing the punching combinations written earlier ( R-L, L-R, R-L, L-R is correct, and L-R, R-L, L-R, R-L is correct. ) Than you will be using the left fist in both the lead and second fist position for both the FDP - RDP combo and transitioning to the SDP - SDP combo. Those combinations put both fists into the "lead" and "second fist" position all around the bag.

As for advice on transition moves, think about his for a second. Yeah, this might be a bit deep but trust me, YOU can handle it and you are ready to move onto to this:

You can mix these three techniques in MANY variations from all around the bag, and you can go from any double punch to any other double punch, which includes repeating the same double punch. key note here the FDP and RDP will repeat each other on the SAME SIDE of the bag by chaninging the lead fist, ie..FDP_L-R ' ' ' FDP_L-R and RDP_L-R ' ' ' RDP_R-L. but as you saw above, the SDP repeats itself on the same side with the same fist order... tricky.

I suggest you practice these by mixing the "start" technique. by that I mean this is a four technique combo of double punches. But you can start this "four" punch combo from either the Front, the Side or the Reverse Double Punch. Here are a few samples. (There are MANY variations)

Start Side Double Punch ( * note rebounds)

SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' '...repeat
                      SDP ' ' SDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' ....repeat
                      SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' ' FDP ' ' '....repeat
                      SDP ' ' SDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' ' Repeat

and a few more....

SDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' ' .....repeat.
                      SDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' SDP... (* careful here....)
                      SDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' ' SDP...... can go to other SIDE or FDP or RDP.

Can also start from the RDP

RDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' ' '....repeat.
                      RDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' '....repeat
                      RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' ...repeat
                      RDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' ' SDP ' ' ' ...repeat

I didn't put the fist order's in these for you need to practice these with either fist leading until the movements and rebounds become second nature to you, but it will take time. Don't get in any hurry - this is not a race. Control takes time. Stop and study each variation and ask yourself if it feels comfortable or not. After a while they will become automatic. Air punch them while you sit here and read them. Air punching is great practice for the fist movements, and when you do it in public many people will wonder what you're doing. Some will think you're crazy but others will ask and you can tell them about the speed bag.

By the way, these are only a few sample, there are many more variations with just these three techniques.

Have fun and hope these help.....

and i want a new bag so and recommendations would be awesome. currently have gyro 6x9-9x6 something like that and ringside peanut, tiny bag, 5x7 i wanna say. it feels alot smaller than that tho. will make another video soon with the better quality camera and post for all to see. thanks again for the advice it really helps!!
                      Bag recommendations could be endless. Any of the Title bags are awesome, As well as the new LAZER by Balazboxing. It just depends on what size you want and price you can pay,

...as well as the bag shape and style you prefer. This takes a little experience to know the difference of how a shorter, fatter teardrop bag reacts versus a longer, thinner "bananna bag" style. Many great baggers have different choices.
                      Last edited by Speedbag; 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• quantumhands
                        • Aug 2012

it was a black screen for me when i uploaded it so this may not be working. no side punching just working on RDP and R in general

Comment

• PunchDrummer
                          • Jan 2012

Nice punching Q!

Alan caught some pretty good stuff - impressive! What a great education is available here!

Don't give up on the side-to-side punching (SDP). I remember procrastinating - 'cause it's a little more difficult and confusing to learn and do.

Stay on it and rotate the lead FDP and SDP fists so you don't habitually favor one side of entry over the other.
                          Consciously roating the wrists as I punch seems to help me with the SDPs.

Good vid.

it was a black screen for me when i uploaded it so this may not be working. no side punching just working on RDP and R in general

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...