X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quantumhands
    • Aug 2012

just joined

Hello my name is Dan Anderson (quantumhands) and i just join the forum and would like to take a min to say hello to everyone and say that i am very excited to start sharing all of my speed bag process with you all. i have only been speed baggin for a year now and it one of the funnest thing i have done in a long time. I'm 28 and from the pan handle of Florida. i did try and post a video but it said error. Will try again soon
  • PunchDrummer
    • Jan 2012

Hi Dan - and welcome to the forum.

Punching the bag consistently, with style, is among the funnest things you can do (so I hear lol), but the road there is also fun.
    Videos need to be uploaded to YouTube, and you can then embed the link to the video in a post. The link looks like this:

HTML Code:
    [YouTube]xxxxxxxx[/YouTube]
    where xxxxx... is the UID (unique identifier) that YouTube assigns each video. Everything in the address bar in your browser after the "v=" and up to the next "?" or "&" (parameter seperators - if there are any) when you watch yours.

For example:
    HTML Code:
    Hi Everyone, 
    Please enjoy my video post.

[YouTube]HPDHFASb6KY[/YouTube]
    results in this - Alan Kahn "in your living room":

The first "sticky" thread in the "Pictures and Videos" section outlines "How To Embed YouTube Videos Into A Post".

I think everyone is on the lookout for fresh videos, and they are appreciated.
    Looking forward to watching yours.
    Last edited by PunchDrummer; 08-27-2012, 07:54 PM. Reason: 'Cause I rarely get it right the first few times. "V=" instead of "X="

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Welcome Dan! Looking forward to your videos....bag on!
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hi QH, welcome to the forum. You'll find everything you want to know about bagging (and some things you don't!) on the forum.

Hope you don't get hit by Isaac. Good luck, and stay safe.

Comment

• quantumhands
          • Aug 2012

thanks

Wow. Thank you all for your kind words. If punch drummer is who i think it is Alan Khan than you are one of my biggest inspirations. I am more of a freestyle bagger. I tried to post a video on this post. just got a new 5X8 ringside bag and its 5X more difficult than my 6x9. I LOVE BAGGIN

Comment

• PunchDrummer
            • Jan 2012

It looks like you're well on your way!
            Nice punching!

Thank you for the assumption, but Alan is a humble and already-popular guy and might post someone elses video in an HTML example. Maybe not - his objective is primarily to edumacate. (Where have you heard that word before?)

I like to do my best to further promote him. (As if we all don't already know.)

Looking forward to the next video Dan.

Originally posted by quantumhands View Post
            Wow. Thank you all for your kind words. If punch drummer is who i think it is Alan Khan than you are one of my biggest inspirations. I am more of a freestyle bagger. I tried to post a video on this post. just got a new 5X8 ringside bag and its 5X more difficult than my 6x9. I LOVE BAGGIN

Last edited by PunchDrummer; 08-28-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hello my name is Dan Anderson (quantumhands) and i just join the forum and would like to take a min to say hello to everyone and say that i am very excited to start sharing all of my speed bag process with you all. i have only been speed baggin for a year now and it one of the funnest thing i have done in a long time. I'm 28 and from the pan handle of Florida. i did try and post a video but it said error. Will try again soon
              Hello quantumhands, welcome to the forum.

I think I may have commented about a different, more recent video you made on youtube
              +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nice Punching! a few suggestions: 1:48 side single punching: Good angle of contact but too much arm swaying (hitting from shoulder movements). Punch movement is really from elbow, not shoulder.

2:09-2:40 Double Fist pass throughs. Looks like you are leading with the same fist
              (R-L ' ' R-L ' ' R-L.) I would suggest doing this a bit easier the LEFT fist also lead on both sides and also do R-L ' ' L-R ' ' R-L. extend fists straight out through bag, then straight back without changing positions.
              ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had to edit the above on youtube due to word limits, but I meant to say that Rotating the fists of a double punch after a double fist pass through is really an advanced variation that requires a bit more advanced timing with a lot of rolling fist movements. I've seen beginners do it a quite a bit because they prefer either their lead or second fist in that position of the technique. Most of the time they will use their dominant hand to lead technique, and it feels really unnatural in the other position. But this is a bad habit to get into. Eventually you want to feel comfortable doing combinations with either hand leading or following.

Sorry you mistook Punch Drummer for me, but in real life I'm not nearly that handsome....
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• quantumhands
                • Aug 2012

I'm lovin this place already!

Alan thanks for all you're advice it really means a lot to me coming from you! You have been like a motivation tool for me. I watch one of you're videos and instantly want to go hit the bag!
                With all the videos you and skunk have I feel I can tame the bag!!
                Matter of fact I was out baggin to night and watching my arm as I was working on side fist's making sure I was only moving at the elbow. But the double fist past throughs I need to work on more. Once you get use to something its hard to change. Now i just need to find the right swivel. I have a plastic ball Neverlast swivel that i hate (plastic is SO slow) and my other "what i call" fix direction. I need a smooth, FAST, any direction while spinning swivel. That's slightly easy to change bags. If anyone can refer me to something like that you would be my savior! Thank you all for you're warm welcomes and i cannot wait to start sharing my progression with you all! (I fell like you're a big happy bagging family) It makes me happy to know good people are still out there! BAG ON

Comment

• RenoRattler
                  • Sep 2009

I don't know that I would call plastic swivels slow. Slower maybe, but they can still be quite useful and can be used for speed. The majority of my bagging has been on a plastic base combined with a metal ball.

Shoot MsDeville a PM. I hear she's making some quality plastic swivel designs. Look up Deville swivels on youtube. There are a few reviews around.

Comment

• quantumhands
                    • Aug 2012

Please help

I have a plastic on plastic everlast and it seem so slow compared to my u-bolt one. I know u-bolt is "cheating" so I bought the everlast a while back and have hated it (cause of the speed). It took me a day or two to get use to but when I did I noticed it seemed slower. When I switched over to my u-bolt. (my u-bolt does have sealed bearings in the top and the bolt) I tap it and it hauls ass compared to plastic. It makes me move a lot faster (I like that). Then I switch back (Plastic on plastic) and have to hit the bag with all my might and it barely goes as fast as the u-bolt. When I hit the u-bolt with all my might it's faster than I can move my hand love it! Got a metal on metal ball hook swivel on the way just ordered it off line due to NO speed bag stores around. Help maybe. Is there a sealed ball swivel out there OH and the ball bounces A LOT (mostly fist rolls) suggestions?????????????????????? BAG ON BROTHERS

Comment

• RenoRattler
                      • Sep 2009

Have you checked the inflation of your bag? That can affect the speed as well.

And just to show, this is a plastic on plastic Everlast swivel.....

Comment

• quantumhands
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
                        Have you checked the inflation of your bag? That can affect the speed as well.

And just to show, this is a plastic on plastic Everlast swivel.....

Yeah i guess its just me and that video proves it.

I keep 5-8psi in my bags. They feel like rocks and I like it that way. I always check the pressure before I start cause it make's a big difference to me.

Comment

• RenoRattler
                          • Sep 2009

Yeah i guess its just me and that video proves it.

I keep 5-8psi in my bags. They feel like rocks and I like it that way. I always check the pressure before I start cause it make's a big difference to me.
                          It could just be the transition from U-bolt to ballhook that you are struggling with. I started with a chain link, and it took me a long while to get used to a ballhook. It felt like I had to hit the bag much harder for the same result with the ballhook.

With a chain link or a U-bolt, it seems to be more the timing of the strike and the swivel itself that keeps the bag moving. With the ballhook most of the power comes from you. Your body learned the amount of force needed to move the bag on your U-bolt to your desired result. Now you just have to train your body again with the new swivel.

When I switched I hated the ballhook, and often went back to the chain link until I realized that the strikes I made on the chain link were more placement holders to keep the bag moving than actual strikes with force. After I switched completely it did not take too long to re-adjust, and I think it makes you a stronger bagger with a ballhook. Nothing wrong with a U-bolt though, bagging is bagging!

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I have a plastic on plastic everlast and it seem so slow compared to my u-bolt one. I know u-bolt is "cheating" so I bought the everlast a while back and have hated it (cause of the speed). It took me a day or two to get use to but when I did I noticed it seemed slower. When I switched over to my u-bolt. (my u-bolt does have sealed bearings in the top and the bolt) I tap it and it hauls ass compared to plastic. It makes me move a lot faster (I like that). Then I switch back (Plastic on plastic) and have to hit the bag with all my might and it barely goes as fast as the u-bolt. When I hit the u-bolt with all my might it's faster than I can move my hand love it! Got a metal on metal ball hook swivel on the way just ordered it off line due to NO speed bag stores around. Help maybe. Is there a sealed ball swivel out there OH and the ball bounces A LOT (mostly fist rolls) suggestions?????????????????????? BAG ON BROTHERS
                            ventanakaz and RenoRattler have given excellent analysis of swivel mechanics and differences. I can only offer a few different insights. In the final analysis, Swivels and bags are solely dependent on the hands of the beholder. Every swivel and bag has it's own pecularity and feel. No two swivels are created equal, meaning that every brand of swivels, (u-bolt, chain or balls) has a certain feel, strength and weakness. Get a new U-bolt from todays Everlast and compare it to an original (first edition) of Ringside U-bolt 9 years ago and they hit, feel and respond totally different, but both are U-bolts. Same for every other type. Same for bags...ie there can be slight differences in each that YOUR hands may feel, or not. There are lousy u-bolts out there, and lousy ball hooks.

there is no denying that some swivels are faster than others, but that is also more of a personal preference than proven fact. the new "speed demon" counter is an excellent device to really test "punch per minute" speed on every bag and swivel set up. I'm sure some speed bag rippers can run some tests of top speeds on different swivels, holding each for 30 seconds or more. But that is also a personal skill measurement, not just the equipment.

But the best answer for you is to determine what is most important about the speed bag to YOU. Is Pure flat out speed your biggest "kick" or requirement? If so, then I suggest you use the swivel that gives that to YOU, meaning your preference for going fast, however you define that. I imagine for you right now, that is a U-bolt. No problem, they are great swivels for flat out straight punching speed.

But if you are also desiring maximum control for 360 degrees around the bag (mostly a lot more side punching techniques and combo's) then you will probably find the U-Bolt and chain links a bit problematic, for although they are very fast, their design and construction tends to create certain unwanted or errant rebounds when constantly changing directions with "your next punch" coming from a different direction than the last. Most baggers that love to rip from all around the bag seem to favor the ballhook because that simple swivel design does not create errant rebounds. Some may "float" or drift for various reasons, but the direction of the rebound is usually directly where your fist contact sent it. And I think you'll agree that when you see sir matthew (speedbagataraxis in video clip) and speedbagskunk cut loose on a plastic ballhook the swivel does NOT appear to be slow. Can they go faster on a U-Bolt? perhaps, but they will crash and burn much more when "the next punch" of their 360 combos are constantly coming from different directions. The U-bolt cannot handle fast and constant changing of directions.

I liken this to cars. If you want sheer straight line speed with very few turns along the way, you choose the best car for that, say a nitro funny car. If you want to travel a road with sharp turns that requires the ultimate in control and abililty to corner accurately, you choose another. This second car for sharp curves might not have the top end speed of the first, But if you attempt the sharp curves in the nitro car you might veer off course and crash. I guess It just comes down to where your going and car that gets you there better.

For me, it has always been more important to have the utmost control (least swivel influence on the rebound) when hitting for I'm a lot more interested in hitting from 360 around the bag (all directions) than just blasting away fast in one direction. but you have to make that decision for yourself.

hope this helps. Good luck with whatever swivels you use.
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...