X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpeedBagAtaraxis
    • Nov 2010

Speed Bag III Thoughts and Video Courtesty of Alan Kahn

I remember last years convention, Speed Bag II, being one of the most enjoyable days of my life. I made friends (hopefully life long) with a lot of really, really good hearted people whom collectively brought an insanely welcoming and positive energy...and they ALL had a jaw dropping amount of Speed Bag talent, it was really overwhelming at times.. I had the incredible opportunity of meeting the Speed Bag King Alan Kahn, whos videos I had and continue to watch thousands of times trying to learn and absorb everything I could and still can. I'm not in to pop culture but if there were ever a "celeb"to me, it would definitely be him. All this being said, my point is, Speed Bag III was even better. I had the best time and its 100% due to the people who attended and the generous and perfect hospitality of Donnie and his family. It was awesome to reunite for a weekend with everyone and still have the same feelings of positive energy and see even more overwhelming talent and meet more fellow baggers. I'm gonna try to be a little more present on the Forum site to stay in touch with everyone this year. On the way to Speed bag IV!

Here's a video of me from Speed Bag III, Courtesy of my bag brother and friend, Alan Kahn!...Who's also a celebrity if you didn't know... ( its not the only reason I'm friends with him I swear) Bag on!

• Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Someday the rest of the world will understand how amazing that footage is.

Most will never know the incredible two hours or so I spent with matthew watching him rip the cover off bags Punch Drumming to some ungodly fast music and just nailing it from start to stop. I can honestly say it was that "one moment in time" when I was in total awe of another bagger. The art and skill of Punch Drumming (tm), or hitting the bag to music where the bag beat is actually a purposeful drum part to and with the music, is the single most amazing part of speed bagging to me. Yes I've marveled at others punching speed and their never seen combinations, vertical bagging with knees and head, even G-Towns amazing multi-accented fist rolling, - but my biggest fascination, and challenge to teach is to sync those beats up to music and to spend some private time watching and hitting with Matt was simply amazing. His skill and ability to improvise bag rhythms and stay "on beat", at any speed, is simply unreal.

In case you don't know, that is totally improvised, as you see when the bag flies off the hook. You put it back on and just start again. No rehearsals, simply your ability to manipulate the bag beat with the music from anywhere with fists and elbows. for the record, I crashed and burned on that song several times.

In the Movie Pumping Iron, Arnold was watching Ed Corney on state (2:12 - 2:45 and said "...now that, That is what I call posing". And when I watch this video clip, and the others I shot that night with Matthew, I can also say "...now that is what I call Punch Drumming".
    Last edited by Speedbag; 08-03-2012, 05:07 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

I was there... he speaks the truth! Video is one thing, but to stand there and see it live...WOW! Just amazing.

SPEED B.A.G. IV ... it's worth the trip from anywhere!
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

That is some stupifyingly badass punch drumming! Wow!!!!!!
        Alan is right! that is not easy .... Hats off!! There's a new kid in town!!
        haha....
        I am blown away!!!
        BAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
          That is some stupifyingly badass punch drumming! Wow!!!!!!
          Alan is right! that is not easy .... Hats off!! There's a new kid in town!!
          haha....
          I am blown away!!!
          BAG ON!

HEY, the truth is, he was just warming up! He punched at that rate to song after song, over and over. Tore up Mortal Combat, Mission Impossible and Turn the beat around. TORE THEM UP!

check him out TBA 1:17-2:09, then 4:29 - 4:59 (awesome) and 6:14-7:58 and 8:28-8:49

and this was the first time he had ever hit to that song.

His rhythmic punching grooves are a lot like yours, he starts combinations at different points of a measure and likes to carry combinations over into two or three measures, coming out of them on different beats than 1 and 4.

Like you, I think he hears poly rhythms in his head and gets in and out of them differently than I do, cause I punch it different than him, but he's kiling it. You're not gonna believe some of his beat mixes on Mortal Combat. I need to edit those up and post them...

You better hope he stays off a drumset......
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            HEY, the truth is, he was just warming up! He punched at that rate to song after song, over and over. Tore up Mortal Combat, Mission Impossible and Turn the beat around. TORE THEM UP!
            The punch drumming was amazing this year. Last year (SB II) it was vert punching that hit the big time, seems like this year was punch drumming. I can't imagine what SB IV is going to be like...

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              The punch drumming was amazing this year. Last year (SB II) it was vert punching that hit the big time, seems like this year was punch drumming. I can't imagine what SB IV is going to be like...
              I'm betting that Vert Punch Drumming makes an appearance.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MasterDux
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jul 2012

Impressive

I used to think it was all about how fast I could get my hands to move (always trying to emulate Bruce Lee) but watching these punch drumming baggers, I see now it may be all about how fast the bag is moving

Very cool to see where I can take it.

Thank you,
                Dux

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by SpeedBagAtaraxis View Post
                  Ataraxis I just LOVE watching this video! I've been watching this repeatedly hoping I'll pick up some of those skills through osmosis lol!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Biff
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Matthew - outstanding control and mastery of the bag. What a great job. You, sir, are a natural. I can only dream.....

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                      Matthew - outstanding control and mastery of the bag. What a great job. You, sir, are a natural. I can only dream.....
                      Yes, Biff, it's amazing what healthy shoulders with cartilage can do...
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• deano
                        Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

Ive seen the King, Skunk, Dee,Tim Tichy and others punch drum live ,which was something new to me and avery very impressive ,looks like i missed something special, that was crisp ,clean,fast and Matt did it easy and it seems like you could go alot faster.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...