• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterDux
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2012

Thank you

Thank you Alan. I still can't figure out how to get down to 2 rebounds vs. 4 (or was it 1?) or whatever you had mentioned earlier in this thread. I must study it as I don't yet quickly understand the acronyms, etc. I think just watching some of your and Skunks videos will help. Have to learn to keep my hands up and moving together, as well as stop being so right-handed heavy.

Also, what do you guys use on your hands if anything? Wraps feel awful and my weight lifting gloves don't stop my bag now a white one, from getting red from the same scab all the time. Medical tape?

Best,
    Dux

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

[QUOTE=MasterDux;36848]Thank you Alan. I still can't figure out how to get down to 2 rebounds vs. 4 (or was it 1?) or whatever you had mentioned earlier in this thread. I must study it as I don't yet quickly understand the acronyms, etc. I think just watching some of your and Skunks videos will help. Have to learn to keep my hands up and moving together, as well as stop being so right-handed heavy.

?? I'm not sure "mentioned earlier in this thread" you're talking about. I said a lot of things early, probably from too much coffee at the time, but as for the number of rebounds required, it is pretty easy to figure some of that out. If a combination happens easily on 4 rebounds (even number) than you can do it on a lesser or more value of "even numbers", so you can go from 4 to 2 by rebounds by doing the combo faster (...with control, of course).

Same thing for a combo you can do on 3 rebounds. You can do it slower on 5 rebounds or faster on 1 rebound, with ONE rebound being the fastest, or more advanced way.

The Side Single Punch (SSP) actually allows us to change the "normal" rules of punching and create some combinations on even (2,4) or odd (1,3) rebounds.

for instance you can do the Front Double Punch (FDP) to Side Single Punch (SS) combination using either odd or even number of rebounds

all of these are correct and possible:

FDP ' SSP (R-L ' R)

FDP ' ' SSP (R-L ' ' R)

FDP ' ' ' SSP (R-L ' ' ' R)

you just have to know the momentary timing change to do any of them.

the first method allows you to roll your hands around the bag with only one rebound in between. just add one or two fists on this with reverse punching.

* FDP ' SSP ' RSP (R-L ' R ' L....) (* this will repeat itself on the other side)

FDP ' SSP ' RDP (R-L ' R ' L-R....)

just work with the rules of rhythm. You can do these combinations.

Originally posted by MasterDux View Post
      Also, what do you guys use on your hands if anything? Wraps feel awful and my weight lifting gloves don't stop my bag now a white one, from getting red from the same scab all the time. Medical tape?

Best,
      Dux
      You are right, wraps can feel aweful. I had a few pairs that I "cut down" way shorter, making a few wraps around the hand and tying off. I had 8 or 9 wraps around the wrist and palm, which is necessary for heavy bag maybe but not speed bag. Unfortunately there is no better way to give more support to the hand bones than pulling wraps snug. No gloves that I've seen will allow hand bone support. Sure the cover and protect the skin, but that's it.

"Back in the Day" when I hit for hours and hours at close to full power, I had a nasty cut-scab on the knuckles over my little fingers. It could really get sore and glow nasty red, and could be fairly painful when punching. Eventually the scabs healed (bit of rest, coverage and antibiotic ointments) and became scars. The haven't bothered me now in years, however I don't hit for hours and hours every day anymore.

seems like there ought to be a great Rock and Roll song somewhere in the sense of punching a "white bag red". Maybe our current Rock and Roll member, Brian Tichy (spinsmashpop) could write a song...

"Blood on the Bag"

(protect your hands. You can always by another bag. Hands are harder to come by and VERY expensive)
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...