• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterDux
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2012

My speedbag technique

Just a quick video I shot at the gym today. Nothing fancy here, I'm a newb who used to hit in college a few hours a month at the gym in the early 90s, and finally my gym put one in where I live now. Oh happy days.

I will post a better video in the days ahead.

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Looking good. Welcome to the wonderful world of Speedbagforum, MasterDux! Looking forward to seeing more videos!
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• MasterDux
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2012

Thank you

Guess it's like riding a bike. Now to try and pick up some of the new combos I keep reading about. Not much luck trying them out yesterday.

I see people posting vids with bag size, etc. Mine only says Everlast Leather Speedbag Level III, Medium. Those Kahn moves look easier on a smaller bag, but maybe it's just my inexperience talking.

See you on the boards.

Dux (as in put up your dooks)

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Looks and sounds very solid to me. Good crisp basic rhythm. That's where it all starts! everything else comes off that.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MasterDux
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jul 2012

Thank you

Today is day 3 of trying some of Mr. Kahn's techniques...still haven't gotten down what they're called, but going to be hitting the bag from the back instead of just the front (hitting towards me). I still haven't figured it out, but am starting to make a bit of progress. Long chain and weak board doesn't help, but may make it that much easier when I get a good aperatus at home someday.

Going to check out the posts from SBIII and keep watching and learning. At least now I'm dreaming less about hitting the bag and actually doing it.

See you online,
          Dux

Comment

• MasterDux
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jul 2012

I think I was trucking

OK, I really don't know yet what "trucking" means, if a term (have to go back and look to be sure), but the way I was hitting the bag today with a front to back and back to front, and side to side/back kind of motion...I heard something, something beautiful. It didn't sound like a freight train, but I heard a different rythm this time that made me think, "I think I'm trucking!" LOL

Bada bada...bop/bop...baaahda baaahda...bop/bop or something like that. I know now if I had a smaller bag and a more sturdy platform, I would have been rocking it.

I could see the swivel rotating around in a circle as I hit the bag this time too. Not just front to back. Will shoot a video when I get a chance to let you critique and help me out.

Kinda psyched.

Dux

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MasterDux View Post
              Today is day 3 of trying some of Mr. Kahn's techniques...still haven't gotten down what they're called, but going to be hitting the bag from the back instead of just the front (hitting towards me). Dux
              Hitting the back of the back is termed "Reverse Punching". There are three reverse techniques (1) Reverse Single Punch - ie...one fist (2) Reverse Double Punch - ie... both fists with one rebound inbetween and (3) Reverse Fist Rolling - ie...repetitive single punches with one rebound in between. The repeating fists can roll "over" or "next" to each other.

You can also do these same three techniques on a vertical speed bag, but I think they would more properly be called "upward punches" due to the direction of the movement. Either way, the techniques are the same.

OK, I really don't know yet what "trucking" means, if a term (have to go back and look to be sure), but the way I was hitting the bag today with a front to back and back to front, and side to side/back kind of motion...I heard something, something beautiful. It didn't sound like a freight train, but I heard a different rythm this time that made me think, "I think I'm trucking!" LOL

Bada bada...bop/bop...baaahda baaahda...bop/bop or something like that. I know now if I had a smaller bag and a more sturdy platform, I would have been rocking it.

I could see the swivel rotating around in a circle as I hit the bag this time too. Not just front to back. Will shoot a video when I get a chance to let you critique and help me out.Kinda psyched.

Dux
              OK, if you're going to shoot a video for review and perhaps some instruction I suggest you NOT have the camera directly underneath the bag. That's a cool view for effect, but for teaching purposes with beginners it is very limiting. We would prefer the camera be directly to the side, set about the height of the bag. camera angles that are lower or angling upwards make it harder to determine position, swinging motion and bag contact point. All those are helpful to see AND HEAR. Unless you are actually punch drumming to a song, then a background musical sound track is detrimental for teaching. Maybe I'm being picky, but I really need to hear the bag contact and swivel sounds clearly to make any judgements on what may or may not be happening.

The above remarks are just my opinion, and others may vary, but wierd artsy camera angles make it hard to do critical teaching review. And with dubbed in music, particular hard hip hop shouting phrases at 1000 words a minute - well, I mute the clip and just imagine the bag sounds.

just some tips, Dux. Looking forward to your video's.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MasterDux
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jul 2012

Practicing new style

As mentioned, below is a new video I shot at the gym to get some help on hitting more like what I see in the Alan Khan videos vs. just how I picked it up years ago.

Would you kindly review and critique this technique and suggest ways to incorporate both hands for hitting back to front, etc.? I think I am mosty just using my right hand to hit the bag to the right side a bit to more easily catch it with the left with a side blow vs. always hitting straight ahead? I think I am making the swivel go in a full circle. I slowed down to show what I'm doing. What are ways to improve on this? And can you suggest a video to watch?

Thank you,
                Dux

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

From MasterDux:

As mentioned, below is a new video I shot at the gym to get some help on hitting more like what I see in the Alan Kahn videos vs. just how I picked it up years ago.

Would you kindly review and critique this technique and suggest ways to incorporate both hands for hitting back to front, etc.?
                  the use of the term "Both Hands" implies a couple of things. (1) Both hands, but each one moving individually through the bag (you are already doing that from various angles on two rebounds with your left hand), or (2) Both hands together, in a Front Double Punch (FDP to Reverse Double Punch (RDP) combination, written like this: FDP ' ' RDP, and fists L-R ' ' R-L. I did not see that combination in this video.

The best way to get an individual fist to pass front to back is often to extend your fist and start from the back (Reverse Single Punch (RSP) behind the bag, because that is the punch most people have problems with. then bring it to the front, do a Front Circle Punch (FCP) which hits the pinkie side of the hand, and the return to the back with two rebounds inbetween. Than do it, say 5 times then change arms and do it with the other arm. This would be a RSP ' ' FCP ' ' ...repeat. You are pretty much doing that already with your left hand.

Than angle the single fist more to the side area of the bag, (not directly behind the bag) and do the same thing, hitting more Side - to - Front. This would be using a Side Single Punch (SSP) with the Front Circle Punch (FCP). In this video you are already doing it a lot with your left. In fact, from :06 - :13 in this clip you doing something very similar on four rebounds (SSP ' ' FCP ' ' ' ' .......) x9 times. Now just do it the same with two rebounds, SLOWLY. Then do the same with your right fist.

For the most part, do a simple pass through combination like this, (back to front or Side to Front and back), x8 or 10 times with EACH fist. and I suggest you keep your fists up higher when not punching, for you seem to be dropping the arm down after it stops punching. However, your bag is set pretty low in this clip, with the board almost at your eyes. Look at the picture below and see (1) the level of the board (2) your lips & mouth are level with the swivel (3) the bag belly is at your upper chest. This is a classic set up with a low board that is difficult to raise up for a taller person. I would suggest you stoop down a bit or open your stance (spread your legs) to lower your head and thus raise the bag level. The way it is set here will be fine for fist punching, but may prove a bit more problematic when you move to elbow strikes, particular the downward elbow movement. A Downward elbow will smack that board if you don't lower your body or raise the board.
                  (* this board level and set up could never be determined from an underneath view, looking UP at the bottom of the bag. That is one reason why a straight side view from pretty much shoulder level is the best camera angle for a reliable teaching perspective.)

For the other "Both Fists" combination RDP ' ' FDP, you will need to learn how to do the Reverse Double Punch, which is the same basic philosophy as the Front Double Punch, but done from behind the bag. You will need to have both fists extended behind the bag, one fist in front of the other, and pull them back to you "through the bag".

I think I am mostly just using my right hand to hit the bag to the right side a bit to more easily catch it with the left with a side blow vs. always hitting straight ahead?
                  Yes, that is correct. Your right hand is hitting the board from the front of the bag and angling sideways to set up a slightly sideways rebound angle. However, this is not needed. A Side Single Punch (SSP) with your left hand can easily follow a Front Circle Punch (FCP) on an odd number of rebounds. Dux, you are doing a Front Circle Punch (angled sideways) followed by your Left Side Single Punch. You are doing this with Three rebounds: it looks like this (FCP) ' ' ' (SSP).

Guess what, you can do it on "3" rebounds, you can also do it on "1" rebound for the rebound angle is the same, it just happens faster. SOooo, do the FCP with your right fist and follow with the Left Side Single Punch (SSP) on one rebound. And then you will have done the Side Double Punch (SDP). That is how the Side Double Punch is created. You ARE already doing this on 3 rebounds, now do it on one. nothing else changes except the side punch (second fist) will need to move pretty much at the same time as the lead (front) fist.

I also suggest ALWAYS doing a practice combination leading with both arms, meaning do it with leading with the left arm, then also do it leading with the right arm. I notice in your video you are always doing the same combinations with with the same arm. this may lead you to become what we call "a one arm bag puncher", in that you can only the a particular combination one way.

I think I am making the swivel go in a full circle. I slowed down to show what I'm doing. What are ways to improve on this? And can you suggest a video to watch?

Thank you,
                  Dux

I hate to say it but that U-bolt swivel will cause you a few problems with combinations from various sides of the bag. It is obvious to me in this video, and it is a feature of that swivel, particularly if the bag is not taped down to the middle. Even with that, you will be better served by a ballhook for what you want to do. Of course, many can hit from all around with a U-bolt, but it is just not the optimum swivel for "bible style" punching all around, particular at higher speeds.

As far as a video, try this one. Side Double Punch combinations

Hope this helps.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Speedbag; 08-06-2012, 09:16 PM.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jumpcannon
                    Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

lol....listen to ALAN....he knows a thing or two!
                    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• MasterDux
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jul 2012

Thank you, must digest

Alan,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I will try to digest it and watch the video in tandem to make sense and then apply at the gym next time. I wish there was a slow mow on youtube. But that video is pretty good and should help a lot.

I always thought of using the speedbag to improve my hand speed, but that didn't prepare me for bag speed and I can see my hands are not in position to get to the bag in one rebound. Will work on that and looking forward to showing some more progress in the near future.

Your guidance is not going unappreciated. Practice time...

Best,
                      Dux

Comment

• MasterDux
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jul 2012

Thank you Alan

Thank you so very much for the time to disect my technique and help me figure out how to get to the next level. I will take your advice to the gym and see if I can make sense of it in practice.

Do YOU think it's easier to do those combinations you describe with 1 rebound with a smaller bag than what I'm using? I think it would allow me to get my hands out of the way more easily and not have to strike the bag so hard to keep its speed up on the lousy board I have to use. I have another bag (same, medium) that I want to return and get a smaller bag to see if I have better luck.

When I pull both hands back, are we talking at the same angle, arm straight to bent (I to 7) if the I is my straight right arm and the 7 represents my elbow at top right)? Or does one hand strike it at and angle? Maybe the video you shared will show, I'll check it out.

Thanks again. Looking forward to trying the one rebound.

Dux

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thank you so very much for the time to disect my technique and help me figure out how to get to the next level. I will take your advice to the gym and see if I can make sense of it in practice.

Do YOU think it's easier to do those combinations you describe with 1 rebound with a smaller bag than what I'm using? I think it would allow me to get my hands out of the way more easily and not have to strike the bag so hard to keep its speed up on the lousy board I have to use. I have another bag (same, medium) that I want to return and get a smaller bag to see if I have better luck. Dux
                          Actually no, it should be easier with a larger bag, but the only difference is "Timing" of the movements. The movements themselves are exactly the same, the only thing that changes with bag size is the timing.

Same thing with a lousy, shaky board, it slows the bag down, making a small, faster bag, go slower. In that case, a small 8x5 bag may bounce as slow as a 9x6 or larger bag, and the only change is timing of the movements.

of course, a more sturdy board is just more fun and efficient to use.
                          Last edited by Speedbag; 12-22-2012, 11:04 PM.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MasterDux
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jul 2012

Latest speedbag jam

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Looking very fast and efficient. Nice punching.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...