• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dale
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2012

My Homemade speedbag platform.

Ive been on this forum almost a month I think and mentioned I was going to build my own speed bag platform. I found some old wood laying around. It is actually two big pieces and two little pieces on the outside glued together. I sanded it down and stained it and put some poly on it.
    I installed it on my homemade pull up bar which I was worried about the platform being to heavy but it isn't to bad. If worse comes to worse I can put some sandbags on the other side of it. I actually widened one of the legs on it so my center support wouldn't be so narrow. Then I widened the top with some boards so my counter leavers would be flush. I used two 1/2 inch bolts to mount it to my leg and regular lags for my counters. I had a buddy help me install it, this thing was defintly a two person job.
    I put my bag at a height I thought would be comfortable.(I think my mouth and it could probally go higher but its good on my shoulders for now I guess. Maybe Ill get some video oneday on here.

So far it seems pretty solid.
    Attached Files
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Looking good.... nice job!
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Dale
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2012

Thanks zaza

Comment

• Maple Leaf
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Feb 2012

Nice Job Dale, that looks great.

Comment

• myles
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Feb 2012

Good stuff there.
          wouldn't mind seeing the vid though!

Comment

• dogtoke
            • Jun 2008

Very nice

Comment

• Dale
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Feb 2012

Thanks for the nice comments
              As far as a video goes, I will need to put some time on the bag first I would imagine. unless you just wanna see a vid regardless of skill.

Comment

• Brother Cavefish
                • Jan 2011

sweet, i should get back into pull ups
                Choose You this day , Whom You shall Serve

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Well, I have never seen on designed and built quite like that one. Gotta say you'ver got a very original setup! Good work. Look forward to seeing and hearing it in action.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Heppsan
                    • Jan 2011

Really cool!!
                    An extra thumbs up for the homemade pull up bar aswell! Nice work!!

Comment

• Dale
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Feb 2012

Thanks again! I will put a video up this week hopefully.

Brother Cavefish, I got the pull up assist from Lifeline so I could slowly work back into pullups. I think its lifeline, but it works well if you haven't done them in a while and would like to do more reps.

Speedbag, it surely is original. LOL

Thanks for the thumbs up on the bar heppsan!!!

Comment

• OldDog
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Apr 2012

Hi- Old Dog here, looks like a good inexpensive multi use solution. How did you overcome the vibration issue on the unit? Overall mass with the heavy wood construction, base weight? Anything you would do differently?

Comment

• Dale
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Feb 2012

Thanks Old Dog. At first it was just a pull up bar until I wanted to add speed baggin. When I built the platform I thought it might be to much weight at first and lift up the bottom on the other end after installing it. Well it doesn't and I even tugged on it a few times after installing it. Now if I really try I can but its not a problem. If it would have been a problem I was gonna put my heavy bag on the pull up bar for stability but I don't feel I need to.
                          As far as vibration and movement on the whole setup there is very little. The platform is heavy-duty. I think because the bar is longer it helps as a shorter bar would have presented problems. I could probally put some sandbags on the legs but I don't feel the need to.
                          I haven't put much thought into any different approaches but I use lag bolts for the pull up bar and would have probally used bolts if I could change anything and maybe put some wood blocks under where my bar attaches to for safety in case the lags miraculously tear out. Now that you got me thinking I think I will put bolts on eventually cause I imagine the weight of the platform is doing some pulling( so thanks )
                          Sorry for long response just trying to be clear. Thanks for the interest.

Comment

• myles
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Feb 2012

Last week I received a package in the mail from a member on this Forum.(Ralph ponce).
                            When I first joined this forum in February one of the first post I read was from one of Ralph,s customers,"Saying How satisfied he was with the service and speed bag he received.
                            I got on to Ralph as soon as I could after that to get my own Cleto Reyes bag 9x6 and a Ring side 8x5 + the area 51 swivel which I read so many great reviews on.
                            6 days after placing my order with Ralph they were delivered so prompt," I could believe how fast it took to get here> (Melbourne, Australia) from Ca in the States.
                            I would like to thank Ralph for his service and equipment and Ms d for the swivel which I'm over pleased with.

Now Im in the middle of setting up a rebound board in the garage.Hope to have it all set up over the next 3 weeks and will post a video on this forum soon too.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag
                              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by myles View Post
                              Last week I received a package in the mail from a member on this Forum.(Ralph ponce).
                              When I first joined this forum in February one of the first post I read was from one of Ralph,s customers,"Saying How satisfied he was with the service and speed bag he received.
                              I got on to Ralph as soon as I could after that to get my own Cleto Reyes bag 9x6 and a Ring side 8x5 + the area 51 swivel which I read so many great reviews on.
                              6 days after placing my order with Ralph they were delivered so prompt," I could believe how fast it took to get here> (Melbourne, Australia) from Ca in the States.
                              I would like to thank Ralph for his service and equipment and Ms d for the swivel which I'm over pleased with.
                              Now Im in the middle of setting up a rebound board in the garage.Hope to have it all set up over the next 3 weeks and will post a video on this forum soon too.
                              Hey Myles, is this a great place or what?

super folks helping each other whenever possible.
                              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...