• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markus
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2011

Just Some Random Practicing on the Speed Bag

Unfortunately, I have only had about 30 minutes of practice in the past two weeks so the rust is showing. That said I thought I would post a video of the slight progress I have made since I started 2 months ago. A few good sections in this video and an interesting ending. Enjoy.

• Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hey Markus,

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. You setup, movements, bag contact, timing, etc. All look for good to me. Sure it feels stiff and a bit tight to you because most of the movements are still new and your learning more than training, but you're doing fine for a beginner. Good hand transitions, you hitting right in the sweet spot of the rebound most of the time... I did not hear any late hits or see your hands hanging out by your belt buckle.

Good stuff. Keep practicing and it will start to feel a bit more relaxed. I might suggest to start working on fist rolling and perhaps the outward-elbow strikes.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

You're making good contact with the bag.

Whenever I'm in doubt i slow every thing down, In fact, EVERY TIME i warm up i'm moving slowly with control and concentrating on timing, and solid contact with the bag. Even after i'm warmed up i'm still a medium speed bagger, but i'm fine with that, because i know i'm making a good controlled contact with the bag.

So when i warm up it's Straight punches, Front circle punches, Front, and reverse doubles, the more basic the punches the better to warm up with. Always thinking about the timing of when is the prime time to make contact with the bag, and making sure i'm striking the bag in the fat of the belly, and this goes on, and on.

Then when you feel in a good place with your timing, and contact. Then a person could start with a little practicing of a move of combo you find cool and want to add to your bag of tricks. Of course alot of these moves and combos will feel awkward for a while, that's normal, but practicing them with control will change that in time.

anyways i didn't mean to ramble on.

Throw on some music that grooves you, and moves you, and Keep on baggin'

Comment

• Markus
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Oct 2011

Thanks all for the positive feedback, it really is appreciated and encouraging.

Ralph, I am really looking forward to that "wow" moment you speak of. I've had it in other things but not speed bagging... yet. I am sure it will come and I will be able to start linking different combos together.

Alan, thanks for the words of encouragement. I am working on going through The Speed Bag Bible but unfortunately my available time lately hasn't been enough for me to really get through it. I am sure that will change in the near future and I'll get some quality time on the bag.

Ebozyn, thanks for taking me through your warm-up. I definitely find myself rushing into practice. I need to slow it down and warm up with some very basic punching, getting myself into a nice basic rhythm before I try to do much more. I typically hit to music but when I am recording my mic is horrible so I turn it off.

I'll keep hitting and getting better. Need to step it up so I can contribute to the Punch Drumming section!

All the best,
        Markus

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...