X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MaccZero8
    • Mar 2011

2 Weeks in... need some critiques

Okay so I know I have a ton of improving to do, but am hoping to get some good feedback to work off I've only been going off other videos on here so far... no Bible or DVD just yet. I am aware my hands need to be higher at all times but what else?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Mrs Mitts
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Feb 2010

Well, I think it looks pretty impressive for two weeks - you can keep a good rhythm and you look smooth and relaxed too. You got the hang of putting in elbows already too!

The one observation that I'd make and you kinda say it yourself is about your hands dropping quite low sometimes. Why not have a go at linking where you hit through the bag from the front and come straight back through again from the back. Just doing this will prevent you from dropping your hands low and get you used to hitting the bag from behind.

Here's a link to one of Speedbag skunks videos on linking,

These really helped me when I started out.

Good luck and thanks for posting!

Comment

• fingers
      Speed Bag Guru
      • May 2008

Nice work!! elbows after 2 weeks!! impressive.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
        Well, I think it looks pretty impressive for two weeks - you can keep a good rhythm and you look smooth and relaxed too. You got the hang of putting in elbows already too!
        x2 on what Mrs Mitts says. Very good for two weeks in. You certainly have the rhythm of the bag down. Front Circle Punch, Front Double Punch, and even some outward double elbow, very nice!

Endurance in keeping the arms up comes with time, just keep practicing. I didn't see any major deficiencies in form, again, very good for 2 weeks!

Comment

• MaccZero8
          • Mar 2011

Wow a lot better feedback than anticipated! I thought for sure there was going to be more I had to work on. Thanks guys So after watching the video Mrs. Mitts suggested, I basically have the Linking down but didn't want to practice the Split Fist as it's getting late and I don't want to disrupt the neighbors. But yeah, I think I'm catching on fairly quick and just want it to be tomorrow already so I can get at it again!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Welcome to the Forum!!

Welcome to the forum MaccZero8! Boy, you've been bit by the Speed Bag Bug, that's for sure. You're looking fabulous on the bag and making great strides in a very short time. Starting out at a young age makes a difference. It took me till just recently to punch an outward elbow!! And I didn't "move up" to a ball hook till I was several months into this addiction.

Like Tim said, I didn't see any major deficiencies in form either, other than keeping the elbows up. But, you'll have them up in no time, I'm sure. Great rhythm...

I'm curious, what sparked your interest in the speed bag? Do they have one at your gym?

Nice first effort! I'm no expert, but in my opinion, you deserve a Five bag rating!

(I hope you don't mind that I embedded your video here for convenience.)

Last edited by MsDeville; 04-14-2011, 11:55 PM.
            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• ExEODCDR
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by MaccZero8 View Post
              Wow a lot better feedback than anticipated! I thought for sure there was going to be more I had to work on. Thanks guys So after watching the video Mrs. Mitts suggested, I basically have the Linking down but didn't want to practice the Split Fist as it's getting late and I don't want to disrupt the neighbors. But yeah, I think I'm catching on fairly quick and just want it to be tomorrow already so I can get at it again!
              I hope I'm that good in two weeks!! I just built my board and had my first real session last night. I can't wait to get off work to bag again! Strong work!
              -
              Owner/Operator
              www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

Wow... that's great! Just 2 weeks & looking good. Your platform looks really solid, I just wonder have you tried hitting when the cat is up on top?

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MaccZero8 View Post
                  Okay so I know I have a ton of improving to do, but am hoping to get some good feedback to work off I've only been going off other videos on here so far... no Bible or DVD just yet. I am aware my hands need to be higher at all times but what else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0oRJQT0qx8
                  Hi MaccZero8.

Your movements appear smooth and even for the bag sounds are pretty constant and the speed doesn't vary, which indicates good timing. You have good control of arm motions and bag contact and power,- for if you did NOT then the bag speed would constantly be altered and you would have a lot of mis-hits, which you do not. Yes, your hands sometimes look a bit low but really not bad for I see your left one resting at your chin as your right hits. I see a lot of R-L Front Double Punches (FDP), but only a few L-R Front Double Punches. You can start doing these in combinations, meaning a L-R_(FDP) ' ' ' R-L_(FDP) ' ' ' ...repeat.

(' ' ' = 3 rebounds)

The above combo will teach you some fist and movement control because the secret is maintaining a constant distance between the fists. Notice the last fist to hit the bag in the FDP will lead the next FDP. (I put it in RED for you to see better) It creates a very smooth flowing motion.

I also see you are doing very nice Outward Double Elbow Strikes (O-DES). Notice this a "double beat" technique, just like the FDP. You can also learn to mix these together in a smooth combination. Here is the combo:

L-R_(FDP) ' ' ' R_(O-DES) ' ' ' R-L_(FDP) ' ' ' L_(O-DES) ' ' ' ...repeat.

Again, notice how the last fist in either technique circles back to lead the next technique. This almost always happens with most speed bag combinations.

You will learn how to vary the second fist contact of the FDP for either the Side of the fist or front of the fist hits the bag. In the above combo you will find it easier for the second fist to use a Front Straight Punch (FSP) contact over the front of the knuckles which will allow that fist to keep moving across to the opposite ear and get the elbow in front of the nose. You can also do that using a Front Circle Punch (FCP) contact on the side of the fist, but that creates a more up-down motion with the arm that is a bit harder at higher speed. Do the movements slowly here, as you read. You can voice out the bag rebound sound if you like. I air punch and mumble the rebounds all the time. It creates muscle memory and makes other people think your nuts and leave you alone to practice.

But the side fist contact point is better to use when you want to link that fist through the bag to go behind. That fist angle allows the arm to simply extend from the elbow and put the hand behind the bag. If you make the correct contact at the belly then you should not have to "duck your hand under the bag" for the bag will be on the board above your hand when it extends underneath.

Anyway, good job for a beginner and I hope this helps. Some of the short hand may be confusing at first but you will get used to it with time.
                  Last edited by Speedbag; 04-18-2011, 10:35 PM.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• hammer6384
                    • Dec 2010

Looked smooth to me. Build on what your doing already. Nice job.
                    SpeedBag Hammer

Comment

• MaccZero8
                      • Mar 2011

Awesome! Thanks for all the feedback. Since I took this video I feel like I've improved a lot, so I'll be posting a 4 week update sometime next week

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...