X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tryme
    • Mar 2010

{REQ} double punch tutorial

i was wondering if i could request a tutorial on double punching the bag. im talking about when your left hand goes through the bag simultaneously from the right hand or the other way round (in other words there is only one beat then another hit)
  • TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

The "Best" tutorial or info you can get is in Alans Book and Video(s). You can also check out the numerous video clips here on the forum and Utube and watch all the great baggers and how they do it. But in "Alan Kahns-The Speed Bag Bible", he will explain and demonstrate (illustrate) the correct and easiest way to do all the techniques that you see being done. Just hang loose and I'm sure you'll get more instructions about the "double punch" from other posts. Practice make perfect!
    T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hello Tryme. Welcome to the forum.

The Front Double Punch or (FDP) is a "double" part technique because two parts (the fists) hit the bag with one rebound inbetween. It's called a "punch" because only the fists hit the bag (no elbows). (if they did, it would be called an "elbow strike". Fist only techniques are called punches. There are a number of "Double Punches" and the name will also refer to the parts of the bag that are hit by the fists. I think what you are referring to is the "FRONT DOUBLE PUNCH", so named because both fists hit the front area of the bag with only one rebound inbetween. Here is a quick demo video of continuous FDP ,which can also be found here, under speed bag combinations #12.

Basically the "lead" (front fist) is aligned a bit in front of the "second" fist, and you move both fists together as one into the bag. That is easiest for a beginner to learn, rather than try to feel two separate motions. Move the fists together and the bag will hit the lead fist, rebound once and hit the other (second) fist. You don't have to try to hit the bag with the second fist, the bag should rebound automatically into it. You will find that with all multipart techniques that hit the same side of the bag. When the parts are aligned correctly, and you swing evenly and smoothly, the first parts sets the bag in motion and it automatically rebounds off all the others (up to four: 2 fists, 2 elbows).

There are a couple of secrets to this: First, the distance between the fists, (too close and your second fist will duck under the bag, missing it - too far away an it will contact the bag late, underneath the belly driving it up into the swivel. You will hear this as a "chanky" sounding miss hit). Second, the force of eveness (flow) of your movement. Every time a fist hits the bag, the bag will react directly in response to the force of your movement. If your lead fist hits the bag hard the resulting rebound will be faster and the distance between your fists will need to be a bit smaller so the second fist will be in the correct spot for the bag to rebound into it. When I am double punching hard, on a smaller fast bag, the distance between my fists is naturally smaller then if I'm hitting a much larger bag with half power. You will soon learn to adjust all of this ( force, movement and distance between hands etc) without thinking. As you learn the technique and how to use it with other techniques (creating combinations) you will find your hands automatically adjusting so the distances, movement and punch force will be automatically adjusted for any bag you hit. I think that is our rhythmic computer in our brain, for it happens in a few punches. In time you will also learn to feel the individual parts of the multipart techniques. Many of us can vary the speed and force of either the lead or second fist to adjust bag speed or add accents to the bag sound, mostly when punch drumming or cadence punching, but even if you don't do that you will soon begin to feel the individualness of the parts as they move within a technique, but initially most people seem to learn them easier as ONE MOVEMENT.

OK, try to Air Punch this as your read... ) (set up your hands and do the movements. in time you will also hear the bag rebounds.)

You can start this by setting your hand in the double punch position, with the back (second) fist by your chin or mouth and the lead (front) fist about an inch or two in front of it. Then start single punching with the lead fist. Hit the bag easy, directly on the belly (fatest part) with three rebounds inbetween each strike ( we call that the triplet rhyhtm) and hit it five times, to establish an even movement with equal force on each punch. Each punch should sound equal to the last in force and rebound speed. (This is a key to all speed bag punching, keeping everything equal)
      Then on punch six, move both fists (lead and second) out into the bag, which should hit the first fist, rebound once and hit the second fist.
      Now notice, your hands have automatically changed position, and your second fist is now in front as your lead fist ( the first fist hit and dropped down and back as the second made contact...). Dont stop, but hold your hands (now rotated) in the correct position. Without stopping, let that new lead fist continue hitting the bag in the triplet rhythm. Again, do it 5 times then move both again for the FDP.

As an example, using Left First = L and Right Fist = R

L ' ' ' L ' ' ' L ' ' ' L ' ' ' L ' ' ' L-R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R-L ' ' ' ...repeat.

with time you can change from five repeating punches to 3,

L ' ' ' L ' ' ' L ' ' ' L-R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R-L ' ' ' ...repeat.

then to one

L ' ' ' L-R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R-L ' ' ' ...repeat.

then to continuous FDP, as shown in that video.

L-R ' ' ' R-L ' ' ' L-R ' ' ' R-L ...repeat.

some people can quickly move to the continuous FDP movements. It is really not that hard and the timing is usually learned pretty quickly. Good luck and hope this helps.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Hello Tryme. Welcome to the forum.

The Front Double Punch or (FDP) is a "double" part technique because two parts (the fists) hit the bag with one rebound inbetween. It's called a "punch" because only the fists hit the bag (no elbows). (if they did, it would be called an "elbow strike". Fist only techniques are called punches. There are a number of "Double Punches" and the name will also refer to the parts of the bag that are hit by the fists. I think what you are referring to is the "FRONT DOUBLE PUNCH", so named because both fists hit the front area of the bag with only one rebound inbetween. Here is a quick demo video of continuous FDP ,which can also be found here, under speed bag combinations #12.

Basically the "lead" (front fist) is aligned a bit in front of the "second" fist, and you move both fists together as one into the bag. That is easiest for a beginner to learn, rather than try to feel two separate motions. Move the fists together and the bag will hit the lead fist, rebound once and hit the other (second) fist. You don't have to try to hit the bag with the second fist, the bag should rebound automatically into it. You will find that with all multipart techniques that hit the same side of the bag. When the parts are aligned correctly, and you swing evenly and smoothly, the first parts sets the bag in motion and it automatically rebounds off all the others (up to four: 2 fists, 2 elbows).

There are a couple of secrets to this: First, the distance between the fists, (too close and your second fist will duck under the bag, missing it - too far away an it will contact the bag late, underneath the belly driving it up into the swivel. You will hear this as a "chanky" sounding miss hit). Second, the force of eveness (flow) of your movement. Every time a fist hits the bag, the bag will react directly in response to the force of your movement. If your lead fist hits the bag hard the resulting rebound will be faster and the distance between your fists will need to be a bit smaller so the second fist will be in the correct spot for the bag to rebound into it. When I am double punching hard, on a smaller fast bag, the distance between my fists is naturally smaller then if I'm hitting a much larger bag with half power. You will soon learn to adjust all of this ( force, movement and distance between hands etc) without thinking. As you learn the technique and how to use it with other techniques (creating combinations) you will find your hands automatically adjusting so the distances, movement and punch force will be automatically adjusted for any bag you hit. I think that is our rhythmic computer in our brain, for it happens in a few punches. In time you will also learn to feel the individual parts of the multipart techniques. Many of us can vary the speed and force of either the lead or second fist to adjust bag speed or add accents to the bag sound, mostly when punch drumming or cadence punching, but even if you don't do that you will soon begin to feel the individualness of the parts as they move within a technique, but initially most people seem to learn them easier as ONE MOVEMENT.

OK, try to Air Punch this as your read... ) (set up your hands and do the movements. in time you will also hear the bag rebounds.)

You can start this by setting your hand in the double punch position, with the back (second) fist by your chin or mouth and the lead (front) fist about an inch or two in front of it. Then start single punching with the lead fist. Hit the bag easy, directly on the belly (fatest part) with three rebounds inbetween each strike ( we call that the triplet rhyhtm) and hit it five times, to establish an even movement with equal force on each punch. Each punch should sound equal to the last in force and rebound speed. (This is a key to all speed bag punching, keeping everything equal)
        Then on punch six, move both fists (lead and second) out into the bag, which should hit the first fist, rebound once and hit the second fist.
        Now notice, your hands have automatically changed position, and your second fist is now in front as your lead fist ( the first fist hit and dropped down and back as the second made contact...). Dont stop, but hold your hands (now rotated) in the correct position. Without stopping, let that new lead fist continue hitting the bag in the triplet rhythm. Again, do it 5 times then move both again for the FDP.

As an example, using Left First = L and Right Fist = R

L ' ' ' L ' ' ' L ' ' ' L ' ' ' L ' ' ' L-R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R-L ' ' ' ...repeat.

with time you can change from five repeating punches to 3,

L ' ' ' L ' ' ' L ' ' ' L-R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R-L ' ' ' ...repeat.

then to one

L ' ' ' L-R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R-L ' ' ' ...repeat.

then to continuous FDP, as shown in that video.

L-R ' ' ' R-L ' ' ' L-R ' ' ' R-L ...repeat.

some people can quickly move to the continuous FDP movements. It is really not that hard and the timing is usually learned pretty quickly. Good luck and hope this helps.
        And you will never get a better answer than that... that stright form the man who wrote the bible....
        Now you know why you need to order the bible from Alan to get the rest of the scoop and let him take a break from rewriting the book here!
        haha..
        BAG ON!

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Feb 2010

Good luck with that tryme, the link to the clip of Alan doing a demo of the front double punch should help a lot. To see Speedbagskunk do a demo of the same punch here is link to one of his videos. Start at 2:30.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

The $20 the SB Bible will cost you will pay for itself immediately in time saved trying to figure stuff out. Learning to hit the bag is very hard at first, so having the SB Bible atleast gives you the assurance that you are taking the right steps. Then it's just a matter of muscle memory. I think most of us would be lost if we never picked up the SB Bible. Alan is the Good Shepherd among this community.

Comment

• tryme
              • Mar 2010

with the fdp should your hands be at the same level or should the lead hand be higher or lower or visa versa?

I find my lead hand hits and my rear hand misses the bag as if its to slow but i dont think thats the case i think thats just what my brain is telling me.

where can i buy the bible i am in the uk.
              Last edited by tryme; 10-24-2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by tryme View Post
                with the fdp should your hands be at the same level or should the lead hand be higher or lower or visa versa?
                I tend to start the lead hand higher, but I think it would also work starting with both hands level.

I find my lead hand hits and my rear hand misses the bag as if its to slow but i dont think thats the case i think thats just what my brain is telling me.
                The key is to move both hands in one motion, i.e. as soon as you start moving the lead, make sure the following hand starts moving.

where can i buy the bible i am in the uk.
                Send a PM to speedbag , I think he ships to UK.

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  I tend to start the lead hand higher, but I think it would also work starting with both hands level.

The key is to move both hands in one motion, i.e. as soon as you start moving the lead, make sure the following hand starts moving.

Send a PM to speedbag , I think he ships to UK.
                  Yes, "HE" does ship to UK.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by tryme View Post
                    i was wondering if i could request a tutorial on double punching the bag. im talking about when your left hand goes through the bag simultaneously from the right hand or the other way round (in other words there is only one beat then another hit)
                    Just "put one foot in front of the other and soon you"ll be walking out the door" Sorry, it reminded me of a little song from a Christmass movie, I think where Santa was teaching Rudolph how to walk. Hope someone will correct me on this. The double punch is not much harder, just one fist before the other with a single rebound between. If you can "dribbel" the bag like a basket ball with each hand sepratly first you will have the rythem down. If you front fist punch with your dominant hand, wait one rebound then circle punch with the other fist then keep repeating you will have it. With this combination the bag will travel back and forth in line with the dominant fist and in line with the circle created by the other fist. When you get it down the two fist will travel together with the proper timing inbetween for the bag to be in the right spot to be hit. For me the front punch fist feals like it hits above the circle punc fist. You will love the sound of this technique and it is easy to mix in with the basic rythem.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...