Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crapshoot
    • Apr 2010

Part 3 was the best so far! I loved the way SSP coordinated the solos. I think we are seeing the beginnings of the speed bag concerto.

Alan, what was that about slowing down?!

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
      I'm sick about missing this jam session too...

... and I was there! Stupid me. I left to check in to my hotel. Man, talk about poor timing.

Great video recording of this historical event, Tim.

Alan, you were in the groove with the other musicians. Soooooooo coooooooooooooool !!!
      That's why I named it "Punch Drumming". Your bag beat is supposed to be "in the groove" with the song your punching to. Of course, it is MUCH MORE FUN LIVE, being backed by the likes of Brian and JD.

Sorry that we (me and thee) did not get more time together to work on this, 'cause I know you wanted to. Next Year we'll make time....
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
        Part 3 was the best so far! I loved the way SSP coordinated the solos. I think we are seeing the beginnings of the speed bag concerto.

Alan, what was that about slowing down?!
        Trust me on this one..... I've been baggin' a while and punch drumming a long time - too MUCH faster music.

I never went over half speed on any of this. that's the brakes.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Man that was BAD ASSSSSSSSSSSSS! It sucks that I wasn't there!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, if sparrky makes the St Louis event happen, I'll have to get to it! Two more posts to 1000!!!!
          sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
            Man that was BAD ASSSSSSSSSSSSS! It sucks that I wasn't there!!!!!!!!!!
            Yes it does! Bad MetalDad, Bad on you!

(just kidding) but you would have loved it.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bruce
              • Dec 2009

Most impressive! Looked like a pretty successful day, all the way around. Kudos to both organizers and participants in their roles in pulling this event off. I've definitely been enjoying the pictures and associated videos...

Respect the bag!!

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Next year we will have a mike attached to the bagging platform. Anyone ever done that? Some R&D is in order...

Or maybe it would have been better with a metal swivel? That was a plastic ball hook if I remember correctly.
                Last edited by Tim; 06-26-2010, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Next year we will have a mike attached to the bagging platform. Anyone ever done that? Some R&D is in order...

Or maybe it would have been better with a metal swivel? That was a plastic ball hook if I remember correctly.
                  Yes, I've done that - or had it done. check out the picture on the original "BagDrum" created by Blue man Group, and note the microphones on the 3rd and 4th pictures down.

all you would really need is one mic under the board, hooked to a cheap Amp, enough to magnify the sound of the rebounds a bit. Kinda like one of the new home Karoake machines. (without the singing....)
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jimcaher
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    Yes, I've done that - or had it done. check out the picture on the original "BagDrum" created by Blue man Group, and note the microphones on the 3rd and 4th pictures down.

all you would really need is one mic under the board, hooked to a cheap Amp, enough to magnify the sound of the rebounds a bit. Kinda like one of the new home Karoake machines. (without the singing....)
                    I was able to achieve a clean bongo sound by setting my iTouch with a mic on a folded towel on top of the drum.

BTW, in '73 or '74 at Memphis State the Isaac Hayes crew taped us hitting, but I don't think anything ever came of it. I think that Alan was out of commission at that time with his first shoulder injury.

Jim

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

Yes, this is very simple.... one mic pointed under the board, behind it a bit, pointed at the swiv.... into a little Karaoke type boom box whatever... done deal....

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Just got back from Skunk's house. He's got footage from under the platform during some of this. The sound turned out A LOT better. You can hear the bag louder than the music. It will be uploaded soon.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jimcaher View Post
                          I was able to achieve a clean bongo sound by setting my iTouch with a mic on a folded towel on top of the drum.

BTW, in '73 or '74 at Memphis State the Isaac Hayes crew taped us hitting, but I don't think anything ever came of it. I think that Alan was out of commission at that time with his first shoulder injury.

Jim
                          Correct. I had a right shoulder Biceps tendon tear from working at Tucker Freight Lines while in Grad School at Memphis State. That took almost a year to heal.
                          Last edited by Speedbag; 07-18-2010, 10:03 PM.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by jimcaher View Post
                            Jim, Can you elaborate on this? Which app were you using?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...