Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hey Brother, is that a plastic ball/hook swivel you were workin' thar' in that vid?
    T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Huge fan of Metaldad...

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
      I was in a rush when I put these two together. The first clip was on the Everlast xs and the second was on the 6x9. I'm also trying some hip hop on clip one and testing for a good spot to place my boombox(again). The song is from the "Ghost Dog Way of The Samurai" Great film!! The Hagakure is also a highly recommended read! Clip 2...bring the metal or hardcore to be precise....Sworn Enemy is the band. THEY RULE!!!!!!!

Hey MD! Nice video clips. My favorite is the first one. I like the hip hop beat. Listening to the music, and you playin' that bag... very hypnotic and rhythmic. BTW... I have that movie "Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai" in my Netflix queue and moved it to the top of the list to watch next.

As for the second clip... I'll be frank. I love watching you baggin' away, doing those endless fist rolls, but I'm not a huge fan of heavy metal music... So I turned down the volume on the video and played a perfectly lovely song by Celine Dion

Just PM me and I'll give you the name of the song, in case you want to use it in your next video...
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
        Just PM me and I'll give you the name of the song, in case you want to use it in your next video...
        That would be pretty hilarious, MetalDad let's see that!

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
          Hey Brother, is that a plastic ball/hook swivel you were workin' thar' in that vid?
          It's a plastic housing with a metal ballhook. I love it!

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
          Hey MD! Nice video clips. My favorite is the first one. I like the hip hop beat. Listening to the music, and you playin' that bag... very hypnotic and rhythmic. BTW... I have that movie "Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai" in my Netflix queue and moved it to the top of the list to watch next.

As for the second clip... I'll be frank. I love watching you baggin' away, doing those endless fist rolls, but I'm not a huge fan of heavy metal music... So I turned down the volume on the video and played a perfectly lovely song by Celine Dion

I hope you like the movie!It inspired me to find the Hagakure and read it. I still refer to it again and again.Henry Silva is in the film and his scene always makes me laugh. ...............and my heart will go on forever!!!!! We'll see about Celine lol!

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          That would be pretty hilarious, MetalDad let's see that!
          You got it Tim! I'm working on making it there in June.
          Last edited by metaldad; 03-23-2010, 10:55 AM. Reason: added text
          sigpic

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Damn, MD, you were laying a beatin' on that bag!!! Ever have a bladder pop yet? Nice job, as usual.

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Biff View Post
              Damn, MD, you were laying a beatin' on that bag!!! Ever have a bladder pop yet? Nice job, as usual.
              Thanks Biff! No not yet............don't wanna jinx myself
              sigpic

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Waddaya Think?

Just throw caution to the wind...

...feel like taking a chance, MD?

... and hide the frying pan from your wife! I don't want anyone to get hurt over this...

One thing you gotta admit about Céline – she's got GREAT HAIR...
                Attached Files
                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by msdeville View Post
                  just throw caution to the wind...

...feel like taking a chance, md?

:d :d :d :d :d

... And hide the frying pan from your wife! I don't want anyone to get hurt over this...

one thing you gotta admit about céline – she's got great hair...
                  Lmao!!
                  sigpic

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hey MD, this will be the last question I bother you with about your swivel. Where did you get the metal ball from? Did it come from a different swivel? I've got 2 plastic ball/hook everlast swivels I'd like to modify.
                    T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• metaldad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
                      Hey MD, this will be the last question I bother you with about your swivel. Where did you get the metal ball from? Did it come from a different swivel? I've got 2 plastic ball/hook everlast swivels I'd like to modify.
                      It's no bother! I got the ball from another swivel, the Everlast metal ballhook swivel. To get the metal ball out of the housing, you need a 3mm allen wrench. I put the plastic ball inside the metal housing. It works great except for the plastic shavings that fly of the ball from the friction in the housing.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                        I usually try to plan out a routine ahead of time but it doesn't always gel. I'll have a song floating around in my head or hear something on the radio and start counting hits and rebounds to the beat. That's the easy part lol, putting it to the bag is a different story.
                        Trying to plan out a punch drum routine before hand and punch it "in time" without error for very long is the hard way to do this, because you never know where you're going to miss, or slip on the bag and then you have to improvise to catch up. You might not get the bag stopped (if you completely break down) immediately for three or four measures and who knows where you are in your "practiced" routine. Eventually you will have to be able to improvise your bag beat to get back into the song. You might have a "planned" bag beat for a 2-8 measure section of the song, but trying to have a specific bag routine for a whole song is almost impossible.

There are numerous "ride rhythms" on the bag to get back on-beat with the speed bag, as well as certain combinations that can be used to any song. The problem I see with some punch drum attempts is trying to "force" several techniques or cool combinations (probably someone's favorite technique or combo) that don't really match the song beat where they do it. The melody and rhythmic groove of the song should normally dictate and guide your bag beats, rather than forcing a specific combo somewhere because it's a cool combo.

It is kinda hard to tell where you are in these clips because the music isn't quite as melodious (too me, anyway) And the bag beat in both would be pretty slow on that size bag. I must admit I don't have an ear for Hip Hop or the extreme Heavy metal. Sure it's got beat and you can punch to it, but if you really want to rip to this stuff you may need a bigger bag or really increase your punch speed to constant double time. In all honesty (IMO) there are music genres to use that would be much easier for a novice punch drummer than these, but that is just my own personal preference. Punch to the beat that moves ya!

You are linking really nice and great control of Reverse Rolling.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          Trying to plan out a punch drum routine before hand and punch it "in time" without error for very long is the hard way to do this, because you never know where you're going to miss, or slip on the bag and then you have to improvise to catch up. You might not get the bag stopped (if you completely break down) immediately for three or four measures and who knows where you are in your "practiced" routine. Eventually you will have to be able to improvise your bag beat to get back into the song. You might have a "planned" bag beat for a 2-8 measure section of the song, but trying to have a specific bag routine for a whole song is almost impossible.

There are numerous "ride rhythms" on the bag to get back on-beat with the speed bag, as well as certain combinations that can be used to any song. The problem I see with some punch drum attempts is trying to "force" several techniques or cool combinations (probably someone's favorite technique or combo) that don't really match the song beat where they do it. The melody and rhythmic groove of the song should normally dictate and guide your bag beats, rather than forcing a specific combo somewhere because it's a cool combo.

It is kinda hard to tell where you are in these clips because the music isn't quite as melodious (too me, anyway) And the bag beat in both would be pretty slow on that size bag. I must admit I don't have an ear for Hip Hop or the extreme Heavy metal. Sure it's got beat and you can punch to it, but if you really want to rip to this stuff you may need a bigger bag or really increase your punch speed to constant double time. In all honesty (IMO) there are music genres to use that would be much easier for a novice punch drummer than these, but that is just my own personal preference. Punch to the beat that moves ya!

You are linking really nice and great control of Reverse Rolling.
                          Thanks Alan! My chosen genres of music can be pretty tricky. Especially Metal! Changing beats, tempos, odd time measures etc. Not to mention the volume but I know it can be done. You're right about wanting to add some cool combos to the routine. I want so bad for my vids to "look cool" that I will try something and it ends up throwing me off. My next video I'll keep it as basic as possible but when the groove hits ya...lol. I never tried Hip Hop before. Not a huge fan of it, but I do appreciate some of it. Like I was telling Jordan, I'll hear a song and picture myself punching to it in my imagination, that's the easy part, the visualization, execution puts me back into reality lol. I think I've found my go to technique...The F-roll and the R-roll! Now if I can just keep up with Skunk and mlouvi1. Talk about breaking the speed barrier!!
                          Last edited by metaldad; 03-24-2010, 10:22 AM. Reason: added text added a link and spelling
                          sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...