X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

MsDeville's Elbow Punching Practice Session

I've finally started working on hitting the bag using my elbows. It's funny how it all starts to come together. Like everybody says… you just have to practice, practice, practice. Feel free to let me know how I can improve on them…

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • SpeedBagScissorhands
    Spin Master

• Aug 2008

coming along nice Ms Deville!!!!!

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

I agree with SBSH, your coming along really good. I'll leave the technical stuff to someone like AK. I have been on 'inward double elbow strikes' for about 6 weeks, and still haven't mastered my left side.

Comment

• Roc Stone
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2007

Excellent work there Deville. Coming along real good.

'Feel free to let me know how I can improve on them…'

KEEP TRAINING... Practice, practice and more practice.
        With training and training comes conditioning. With good conditioning on the SB you can almost correct things, that get a little bit outa shape, mid flight.

Great split fist linking too, you sure got that happening.
        sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Your progress is fun to watch and inspirational. You may already know that I'm a big fan of yours. Bag onward!

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
            Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

Doing very well Dee

Keep up the great work. Only thing i see is you might want to try not move you body so much when you throw the last elbow. Dont get me wrong again your doing GREAT!!! But next time your practicing try and after you strike the bag with the second punch befor the elbow, try and punch and tuck your hand into your checst "like a chicken wing" lol and you will be able to catch the bag a little better. Hope this helps Dee. Keep up the great work!! doin awesome! If you need a video response just let me know

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by SpeedBagScissorhands View Post
              coming along nice Ms Deville!!!!!
              Thanks SBS... I'm working on the "Triple P's" – Practice, Practice, Practice.

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
              I agree with SBSH, your coming along really good. I'll leave the technical stuff to someone like AK. I have been on 'inward double elbow strikes' for about 6 weeks, and still haven't mastered my left side.
              Watching this video pretty much shows that I'm a Lefty. I need to practice leading more with my right.

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
              Excellent work there Deville. Coming along real good. ...KEEP TRAINING... Practice, practice and more practice. With training and training comes conditioning. With good conditioning on the SB you can almost correct things, that get a little bit outa shape, mid flight.

Great split fist linking too, you sure got that happening.
              These past few weeks my workouts have been spent focusing on CONTROL and smooth reps with the linking. I know what you're saying about correcting in mid-flight. I find myself doing that on occasion. And, yes, it's definitely all about practicing. It's the only way to make good progress, that's for sure!

Originally posted by paranday View Post
              Your progress is fun to watch and inspirational. You may already know that I'm a big fan of yours. Bag onward!
              Why, thank you, Jim. I'll try not to disappoint my fan.

Originally posted by SpeedBagSkunk View Post
              Keep up the great work. Only thing i see is you might want to try not move you body so much when you throw the last elbow. Dont get me wrong again your doing GREAT!!! But next time your practicing try and after you strike the bag with the second punch befor the elbow, try and punch and tuck your hand into your chest "like a chicken wing" lol and you will be able to catch the bag a little better. Hope this helps Dee. Keep up the great work!! doin awesome! If you need a video response just let me know
              Yup. I seem to exaggerate my elbow punch. And, because I'm weaker with my right side (I'm a Southpaw) I tend to "rush" my right, and then the timing gets messed up and I hit the bag wrong. I think I know what you mean about tucking the hand... I'll work on that. Thanks for the input, Skunk. Your video demonstrations are great.
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Geez you remind me of me years ago, working one particular combination over and over, repetitively with left and right leads to drill those combinations and timing. I really like that kind of "practice drilling". Your appear to be doing very well on it. Your movements and timing are good with solid contacts, but you do appear to "rush" to the end of the combination. There is no need to rush through a Triple Elbow motion or Four way technique. Let all the parts have their moment with the same power and flow. That should have you exit the combination with the same bag speed bag and timing as you entered it.

I've often thought that inward elbows are the bane of speed baggery, since the finishing position normally leaves you so rotated and the fist(s) cannot pass through afterwards. I never had the proficiency to come back to and "outward elbow" on one rebound like several here do. Skunk and Scissorshands have awesome control of those Inward Elbow ' Outward Elbow Transitions.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Geez you remind me of me years ago, working one particular combination over and over, repetitively with left and right leads to drill those combinations and timing. I really like that kind of "practice drilling". You appear to be doing very well on it. Your movements and timing are good with solid contacts, but you do appear to "rush" to the end of the combination. There is no need to rush through a Triple Elbow motion or Four way technique. Let all the parts have their moment with the same power and flow. That should have you exit the combination with the same bag speed bag and timing as you entered it.
                  Yes, I find myself always rushing on this... I gotta work on that. (I've let out some air in the bag to slow it down.) I also find that I have to pay attention to where I am standing in relationship to the bag. Too close – I hit it wrong. Too far back – and my elbow ends up glancing off the bag.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  I've often thought that inward elbows are the bane of speed baggery, since the finishing position normally leaves you so rotated and the fist(s) cannot pass through afterwards. I never had the proficiency to come back to and "outward elbow" on one rebound like several here do. Skunk and Scissorshands have awesome control of those Inward Elbow ' Outward Elbow Transitions.
                  Thanks Alan, for your keen observations and suggestions. Now, it's back to the bag for more practice!

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

MsDeville it's awesome the way your skills are developing! I've been working on those inward elbows myelf and they ain't easy. You're definitely doing it the right way by drilling the movement over and over, something I should do more often. Keep up he great work! Bag On!!
                    sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Great job! You are obviously putting the time in! It is paying off.
                      The video and audio quality of your clips is also great! What are you filming with? It's looks hi-def-ish.
                      Also, there is a distinct sound of you hitting the bag and the bag hitting the first rebound on the board. It sounds like more is going on. Every time you do an Inward DES followed by the opposite hand, it sound like 4 strikes to my ear. And the doubles sound like triples....very interesting....
                      I wonder if it is how you are punching or if it the bag combined with the board, or just the blend that the camera is picking up in that particular room....
                      Hmm... anyhow, great job!
                      BAG ON!

Comment

• Biff
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Jeez, Dee, I'm away for a couple of weeks and come back to see you with the elbow combinations. Nice job. All that time spent practicing under the board really does pay dividends.

That's what's great about YouTube and this forum, you can really see the improvement made by baggers in a few short months. Keep on bagging, girl!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                          MsDeville it's awesome the way your skills are developing! I've been working on those inward elbows myelf and they ain't easy. You're definitely doing it the right way by drilling the movement over and over, something I should do more often. Keep up he great work! Bag On!!
                          Thanks, MD. I spend a lot of time watching everybody's videos and practicing, and doing a lot of drills… My form continues to suck, but, I'm not too worried about that part...yet.

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                          Great job! You are obviously putting the time in! It is paying off.
                          The video and audio quality of your clips is also great! What are you filming with? It's looks hi-def-ish.
                          I just bought a Hi-Def Flip® video camera… it has a built-in USB plug so it's super easy to upload my videos to my laptop. The more lighting I have, the higher the quality of my videos, too.

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                          Also, there is a distinct sound of you hitting the bag and the bag hitting the first rebound on the board. It sounds like more is going on. Every time you do an Inward DES followed by the opposite hand, it sound like 4 strikes to my ear. And the doubles sound like triples....very interesting....
                          I wonder if it is how you are punching or if it the bag combined with the board, or just the blend that the camera is picking up in that particular room....
                          Hmm... anyhow, great job!
                          BAG ON!
                          I think my bag rebound might sound different because my drum is a 1/2-inch-thick steel plate welded to a 6"x6" metal tube post. Pretty solid. I must say, I love my platform – EXCEPT for the part about being out by the woodshed and enclosed with plastic sheeting and a corrugated roof. I'm looking forward to "remodeling" this spring...

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                          Jeez, Dee, I'm away for a couple of weeks and come back to see you with the elbow combinations. Nice job. All that time spent practicing under the board really does pay dividends.

That's what's great about YouTube and this forum, you can really see the improvement made by baggers in a few short months. Keep on bagging, girl!
                          Hey Biff! Nope, I'm not about to stop bagging any time soon. And I won't let snow, deep-freezes, or high winds stop me!

Here's an update of my elbow combo practice – one week later. I still have a long way to go, but it becomes a little easier with each practice session:

Comment

• Roc Stone
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2007

Good stuff Deville!

After the inward elbow try curling/rotating back the fist on that same arm to get an additional (FCP) on the bag, single rebound style.

If you can get the hang of doing that on both sides, eventually you will be able to link them together using only one rebound. It becomes a rolling combination with a really swell 'accented rhythm'.
                            sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                              Good stuff Deville!

After the inward elbow try curling/rotating back the fist on that same arm to get an additional (FCP) on the bag, single rebound style.

If you can get the hang of doing that on both sides, eventually you will be able to link them together using only one rebound. It becomes a rolling combination with a really swell 'accented rhythm'.
                              Thanks for the suggestion, Roc. I'll work on that... but, how about showing me a little demonstration... so I can be sure to get it right.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...