• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2009

my swivel is it ok?

hi everyone , i have already posted a thread on this topic(my first speedbag) but couldn't upload a vid so i am now trying to embed a youtube vid of it hopefully i get right this time. im just wondering if this swivel is ok, i have no basis for comparison. it only rebounds well one way if the angle changes too quickly it doesn't bounce well untill it returns to the one direction it prefers to rebound on. there seems to be some play on it again i dont know if it is normal or not. ive only been practicing for a bout 3-4 hours.
    many thanks ryan.

• Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

There is a lot of slop in the main bearing. That is what is causing to hang up. As most people here will tell you this type of swivel has a limited range of action compared to the ball hook style to begin with. You may be able to snug it up by tightening the nut inside the upper case (you access it by unscrewing the swivel from the base). If that doesn't cure the slop, or if it only tightens it so that it doesn't rotate, you'll need a new swivel.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Looks like the nut has come loose. If this is the case, then apply some loctite/nutlock on the threads to prevent it coming loose again.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum.

I think Dutchman is correct about the main bearing. Personally I dislike this style swivel for many reasons. Those longer thick U-bolt style swivel are SLOW, Glunky and potentially problematic. A swivel like that can really retard the progress of a user. If that is what you have to use for a while, OK, but If you can possible get another style swivel I would recommend it.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Crapsterface
          • Nov 2009

that shouldnt be. Thats the same prob Ive had with all the new chaionlinks iv tried. my old ones still best lol. I took it all aprat and stuff. My overall observation is. It is cheaply made. the company probly mass prduced them as cheap and easy as possible. didnt try to keep it snug or anything. Mostly just didnt care. Ya I would send it back and get a different brand. was that a title swiv? My title was like that in about 3 days. and couldnt b fixed no matter what i did. All worn out. made in china. cheapass chrome. less then shopmetal. I hav a rival ubolt now. Its pretty good. made from steel. fairly heavy but still good action, fast back and forth. No play in the main bearing. I had to tighting the main bearing with plyers. so far it hasnt com loose. It came loose often when only fingertinght. Try tightning with plyers. if that dont fix it. I recomend a diff. brand.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...