Trying to get my elbows more involved...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    ....In watching the video your hand is really close to the bag at that point anyway, just hang it out there a bit more (after the elbow) and you'll have a D-DES.
    That is pretty much it. Double Elbow = TWO parts hitting with one rebound inbetween. The fist follows the elbow into the bag, and the bag rebounds into the fist, you don’t have to place or target the fist on the bag.

The D-DES is the same as the O-DES, which you ARE doing at 1:46 in the video (followed by a nice RSP). So I know that you can let the fist follow the elbow on the same plane.
    There are three small differences between the O-DES and D-DES. (1) the arm/elbow has to be "UP" in position for the movement. (2) the elbow comes to the bag in a downward arc and (3) the downward motion of the elbow should stop soon after (or on) contact to get it back OUT into home position. #3 is the hardest. But here is why it is important. I would say that 99% of the time you will follow the D-DES, which is an "inward" body motion like the FSP..., with the elbow or fist of THE SAME ARM, and that will be hard to do if you let the elbow, then fist, keep going down.[Yes, I know shadow punches or double bumps can break this rule, but beginners don't need to clutter their mind with those advanced manuevers....

IF your fist contacts the bag with the elbow pointing and moving downward you will have a very difficult move to link it behind to a RSP, and whatever else you do you will still have to re-raise the arm to do any other techniques needing that same fist or elbow. Here is a tip that may help.

Notice when your downward Elbow contacts the bag that your fist is pretty much at the level of your forehead. Now imagine making an open ended “C” movement with the fist, Starting at the forehead, down in front of your nose and out to the corner of your chin. The bag normally hits at the point of your lips. What this did was simply raise your elbow up an out as the fist moved. When the bag hits the fist the elbow should be up enough to allow an easy link to RSP, since the elbow should be up even with the fist at the point.

One of the easiest technique to follow a D-DES is an O-DES with the same arm. That makes a nice flowing double elbow strike combination.

The best part is, Once you can do D-DES, then stick a Front Circle Punch (FCP) in front and it makes it a Triple Elbow Strike. Many people think the D-TES is easier, since the leading fist is easier to target into the bag. Anyway, hope this helps.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• RenoRattler
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      That is pretty much it. Double Elbow = TWO parts hitting with one rebound inbetween. The fist follows the elbow into the bag, and the bag rebounds into the fist, you don’t have to place or target the fist on the bag.

The D-DES is the same as the O-DES, which you ARE doing at 1:46 in the video (followed by a nice RSP). So I know that you can let the fist follow the elbow on the same plane.
      There are three small differences between the O-DES and D-DES. (1) the arm/elbow has to be "UP" in position for the movement. (2) the elbow comes to the bag in a downward arc and (3) the downward motion of the elbow should stop soon after (or on) contact to get it back OUT into home position. #3 is the hardest. But here is why it is important. I would say that 99% of the time you will follow the D-DES, which is an "inward" body motion like the FSP..., with the elbow or fist of THE SAME ARM, and that will be hard to do if you let the elbow, then fist, keep going down.[Yes, I know shadow punches or double bumps can break this rule, but beginners don't need to clutter their mind with those advanced manuevers....

IF your fist contacts the bag with the elbow pointing and moving downward you will have a very difficult move to link it behind to a RSP, and whatever else you do you will still have to re-raise the arm to do any other techniques needing that same fist or elbow. Here is a tip that may help.

Notice when your downward Elbow contacts the bag that your fist is pretty much at the level of your forehead. Now imagine making an open ended “C” movement with the fist, Starting at the forehead, down in front of your nose and out to the corner of your chin. The bag normally hits at the point of your lips. What this did was simply raise your elbow up an out as the fist moved. When the bag hits the fist the elbow should be up enough to allow an easy link to RSP, since the elbow should be up even with the fist at the point.

One of the easiest technique to follow a D-DES is an O-DES with the same arm. That makes a nice flowing double elbow strike combination.

The best part is, Once you can do D-DES, then stick a Front Circle Punch (FCP) in front and it makes it a Triple Elbow Strike. Many people think the D-TES is easier, since the leading fist is easier to target into the bag. Anyway, hope this helps.
      Absolutely! Your advice is always wizard!

I love the knowledge that you guys bring to us beginners. And I am very grateful and thankful for it!

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hey Reno,
        Was just checkin' out you Sept. post "trying to get more elbows",
        Looking good! Like spin mentioned, looking smooth and steady with your combos.
        I've been working on my elbow strikes and side punches, trying to get the feel and some consistancy down.
        Really cool workout area, looks like it would be hard to concentrate on the bag with
        all the babe posters you got hangin'. SHAHWINGGGGGG!!!!!
        Keep up the good work!
        T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...