• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by goju View Post
    speaking of Everlast...i would love to know why they stopped makin the metal ball hook swivel.. any thoughts on that alan ?
    Like Roc Stone mentioned, there were issues of metal flaking ( I was told that by Titleboxing and Balazs boxing) and tiny pits of metal getting into the eyes of users. At first I didn't really believe that, until a couple of years ago and I got dinged by a tiny metal flake doing Reverse Single Punching (RSP). It may have actually happened to me earlier, years ago in the mid 1990's, when I had a similiar eye problem, and a small metal pit was found. But at the time I didn't equate it to the swivel. Twice in 30 years, with probably a few thousand hours of use. Not a bad ratio, but still a risk I suppose. I don't know if the plastic ball and housing changes anything, for I've seen more metal wear and thinning around the Metal hook-Eye bolt attachment rather than the metal ball and housing
    (see the connection of Yellow #1 and Blue #2 here for the exact part) The eye of the metal hook rubs on the eye of the metal rod that screws into the plastic ball (or goes up into the metal ball... Look further down that page for the plastic ballhook and see the metal shank and hook), and those two metal areas wear on each other. I have numerous metal ball hooks with the same wear patterns, where the eye-bolt is worn almost completely through.

Last edited by Speedbag; 10-15-2009, 06:57 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      ...I don't know if the plastic ball and housing changes anything, for I've seen more metal wear and thinning around the Metal hook-Eye bolt attachment rather than the metal ball and housing
      (see the connection of Yellow #1 and Blue #2 here for the exact part) The eye of the metal hook rubs on the eye of the metal rod that screws into the plastic ball (or goes up into the metal ball... Look further down that page for the plastic ballhook and see the metal shank and hook), and those two metal areas wear on each other. I have numerous metal ball hooks with the same wear patterns, where the eye-bolt is worn almost completely through.
      Shouldn't these parts be hardened steel?

For what it's worth, I'm hoping the prototype that Skunk has been evaluating for Everlast will give us the perfect swivel once and for all. Well, perfect is maybe not the right word, but a swivel that solves the known shortcomings of existing designs would certainly raise the bar.
      Last edited by paranday; 10-15-2009, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...