• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Hitting the Top Contender 4x7

I dug out the Top Contender 4x7 bag I bought two years ago. This so far as I know is the smallest bag made for actual use. I think Everlast and Title go down to 5x6 only. Am I correct in this assumption? Not a big bag collection, but all things in time. A little footage:

sigpic
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
    I dug out the Top Contender 4x7 bag I bought two years ago. This so far as I know is the smallest bag made for actual use. I think Everlast and Title go down to 5x6 only. Am I correct in this assumption? Not a big bag collection, but all things in time.
    Actually I think the Grant CampeĆ³n Speed Bag goes to 6x4. I had one for a while and sent it to Skunk a few years ago. You can tell in the video the bag isn't going nearly as fast as you'd expect from the force and speed of his movements. It just floats off on contact. His normal bag speed is much faster than this on his other bags. Skunk can set a land-speed record on speed bag, just not on this one...

I don't really like those tiny bags because they are too light. You would think they'd go faster because they are smaller but it's hard to go fast on a feather. That is kinda the problem I see on your video with the top contender 7x4. It's just too light and the fists tend to slide off. I Have that same bag, but I just don't enjoy hitting it cause it doesn't go anywere. It's got a great shape, but just needs a bit more resistance inside. Maybe heavier leather or something.... I'd much rather hit my 8x5's.

Now I did use Skunk's small everlast inside the the speed bag truck in detroit. BT has one in there. That is a pretty heavy bag for such a smaller one.

Hey M.D, you might check out this earlier thread on the forum.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 10-10-2009, 07:10 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

That is a small bag MD.

Your T-OES are looking good mate especially on that smaller bag.

Vini

Comment

• goju
        • Aug 2009

Great job with the smaller bag MD..you just get better with each vid you post

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Actually I think the Grant CampeĆ³n Speed Bag goes to 6x4. I had one for a while and sent it to Skunk a few years ago. You can tell in the video the bag isn't going nearly as fast as you'd expect from the force and speed of his movements. It just floats off on contact. His normal bag speed is much faster than this on his other bags. Skunk can set a land-speed record on speed bag, just not on this one...

I don't really like those tiny bags because they are too light. You would think they'd go faster because they are smaller but it's hard to go fast on a feather. That is kinda the problem I see on your video with the top contender 7x4. It's just too light and the fists tend to slide off. I Have that same bag, but I just don't enjoy hitting it cause it doesn't go anywere. It's got a great shape, but just needs a bit more resistance inside. Maybe heavier leather or something.... I'd much rather hit my 8x5's.

Now I did use Skunk's small everlast inside the the speed bag truck in detroit. BT has one in there. That is a pretty heavy bag for such a smaller one.

Hey M.D, you might check out this earlier thread on the forum.
          You know something? I did notice the problem with the bag being too light, especially when I was trying to F-ROLL. It just seemed to not want to rebound. I thought it was all me not being used to hitting it(this bag has been in a milk crate for a year and a half). I n the htread you linked me to , you mentioned standing further away from the bag to generate more power for smaller bags like this? I'll read that a gain and give it a whirl. When I bought the Top Contender, it was definitely for the challenge factor, I figured smaller the bag the more hand eye developed. I'll get an 8x5. I'm not ready for advanced combos yet, but I really do want to add some variety to my workouts.

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
          That is a small bag MD.

Your T-OES are looking good mate especially on that smaller bag.

Vini
          Thanks Vini, that's David in the background who I'm talking with. I did shoot a vid of him trying to hit. My wife and I think we should give him more practice before posting. I may just post it anyway as we give a shout out to you and Joey in it.

Originally posted by goju View Post
          Great job with the smaller bag MD..you just get better with each vid you post
          Thnaks Goju! I'm gonna take Alan's advice and get the Everlast 8x5. This bag might just be way too small and light. I'll keep messing with it until I get the Everlast though, maybe I'll be able to adjust to it somewhat.
          sigpic

Comment

• goju
            • Aug 2009

im hoping to get a couple of everlast bags too MD.. would like another 8x5 but deffo getting a 9x6

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Everyone's prtty much set on the 8x5's. It's gonna be a bit befre I actually make the purchase, but I'll definitely go with that one and who knows what next? I may try out the ProMex at some point also
              sigpic

Comment

• The Baggist
                Vert Baggin' Master
                • May 2009

It's great to switch it up METALDAD. I find that with the lighter smaller bags function way better with a ball hook swiv because I think the mass and weight of the chain link and pro type swivels are too much for small bags. Don't give up on that Top Contender just yet. I think they're great for learning control especially if you slow them down. As far as small bags go, I posted a comparison pic of the TC 4x7, Rival 6x4, and Everlast 8x5. That Rival is crazy to hit, very hard to keep going, I haven't seen too many other people hit em other than KYLE, and B-MACK. Keep on Punchin!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post

Thanks Vini, that's David in the background who I'm talking with. I did shoot a vid of him trying to hit. My wife and I think we should give him more practice before posting. I may just post it anyway as we give a shout out to you and Joey in it.
                  MD, you should start another post with David's vid. He's a cool kid mate and thanks for the mention. Joe was well happy.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Good job metaldad... yeah, that bag LOOKS like it is just too light, so it must feel that way. But your skills are improving!
                    BAG ON!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...