Long before Scissorhands was making spoofs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
    I can't believe I never heard that song Crossroads before. Isn't that something how a saying, a poem, a song, a verse, etc, could put things in perspective.
    Yes it is. Poetry and Music can often wrap around your mood and capture a feeling or emotion and hold it in time for reliving at a later date. The Crossroads is on Don McLeans American Pie album. The song American Pie became a cheeky classic, but the other songs on the album are much deeper and more meaningful. Another favorite for me is Empty Chairs, which has a really nice guitar style. This one got a lot of play back in my life during 1974-75.

About 20 years ago after a bad motorcycle accident, the real hell begun and didn't end quick. There was a poem I read that sure hit home. I dated the night I read it and it still hangs on my wall. Every time I read it I can't but help think of that night. So it must be with that song Crossroads with you. A lot of memories with it. But hey, as gloomy as it has gotten for all of us on this forum, we're still kickin' and having fun in between it all.
    I know how you feel there, to. I've been a poetry fan since high school myself. Being the pensive sort I've taken pen to paper myself occassionally, long before the SBB was written. The ability to capture your thoughts and emotion on paper, and taking the time to do it, will influence far more people than playing the strong silent type. Which is really helpful if you don't grow up to be the strong silent type!

If I had to teach a kid one lesson in life it would be learn to write for yourself and speak to others. if you can't communicate, you won't amount to much - and whatever you know will die with you.

About 20 years ago after a bad motorcycle accident, the real hell begun and didn't end quick.
    I remember you mentioned something about that Motorcycle wreck before. Man you're probably lucky to be here. How about making the most dangerous thing you do anymore is punching that robotic boxer.....
    Last edited by Speedbag; 10-10-2009, 12:24 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

That was brilliant AK and thanks to Biff for the find. My kids loved it!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Yes it is. Poetry and Music can often wrap around your mood and capture a feeling or emotion and hold it in time for reliving at a later date. The Crossroads is on Don McLeans American Pie album. The song American Pie became a cheeky classic, but the other songs on the album are much deeper and more meaningful. Another favorite for me is Empty Chairs, which has a really nice guitar style. This one got a lot of play back in my life during 1974-75.
        I know how you feel there, to. I've been a poetry fan since high school myself. Being the pensive sort I've taken pen to paper myself occassionally, long before the SBB was written. The ability to capture your thoughts and emotion on paper, and taking the time to do it, will influence far more people than playing the strong silent type. Which is really helpful if you don't grow up to be the strong silent type!
        If I had to teach a kid one lesson in life it would be learn to write for yourself and speak to others. if you can't communicate, you won't amount to much - and whatever you know will die with you.
        I remember you mentioned something about that Motorcycle wreck before. Man you're probably lucky to be here. How about making the most dangerous thing you do anymore is punching that robotic boxer.....
        OK.... this thread kind of ended up going this way and instead of chiming in with an opinion, I am posting this little poem I write of the top of my head in a blog on my myspace page about 1 year and a 1/2 ago....
        A touch of humor, but hits the spot and gets the point across to what we hopefully all are going for.....

"Death Knockin’ At The Door"

"I ain’t got time to die, I got too much crap to get done
        Dying may be easy, but dying can’t be fun...
        Although some will use the pills... and others use the gun...
        Those untimely accidents get the best of some....

But the only thing to worry about, before your time has come,
        Is whether or not you can look back, and be cool with what you’ve done...."

I ain’t got time to die, I got all this s**t to do...
        If I don’t do it, nobody will, and don’t ya know that’s the truth...
        And if ya wake up and the sky is grey, don’t get all down and out
        Just thank God you woke up at all, and you’re still gettin’ around!

So the only thing, to worry about, before your time has come,
        Is whether or not you can look back, and be cool with what you’ve done...."

What else it there? The end??? haha..... yeah right..... who can think about the end when I don't know how next week is gonna be? For every thing in my life that gets in my way, attempts to bring me down, or is on the negative side, I find two instances of any type or kind that are positive and keep those at the forefront. I may get down, I may go through stuff, but I never let it get to me where it KEEPS me there....

BAG ON!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...