Long before Scissorhands was making spoofs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Long before Scissorhands was making spoofs...

...our own AK, was doing it:

Check this out

Alan, where were you hiding this gem? I love it!!! I gave it 5 bags
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Biff, my vote is for Alan going on America's Got Talent show. He'll go there with a platform that will magnify the bag's rebound sound and hit to the beat of what ever song he wants. Kind of like a one man Blue Man Group. He could mix a little comedy in with it. No one keeps a beat to the tune playing, like Alan.

He'd make a huge impact not only the crowd, but for the exposure of speed bagging.

Alan, you should give it serious thought IHO.

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

I would like to see that as well, but I don't know if it will happen. I know Alan has been "under the knife" several times, and I'm sure it would be difficult for him to practice for each show. He talked about his surgeries in this post and addressed that very thought here.

Too bad, because that would have would have given great exposure to the bag. Hey, BT you listening?

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

OH MY GOD!! Was that flippin' hilarious!! My daughters were laughing their heads off and the baby was dancing to Alan's rhythym on the bag. You know I'm sure if enough thought and ractice went into it, Alan could put together a "team" of baggers i.e Himself, Skunk, Scissorhands, Spinssmash, and go on the show.
        sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
          OH MY GOD!! Was that flippin' hilarious!! My daughters were laughing their heads off and the baby was dancing to Alan's rhythym on the bag. You know I'm sure if enough thought and ractice went into it, Alan could put together a "team" of baggers i.e Himself, Skunk, Scissorhands, Spinssmash, and go on the show.
          Too bad about Alan's injuries, but he could put the show together. Can you imagine Alan and Skunk bagging to Dueling Banjos? They both start out doing their bit and then blend into a fast beat. The Speed bag Bible will be selling like crazy.

They used to have acts involving bag pros, why not again?

Someone with some music electronics background to make the platform rebound more audible would really help hear the speed bag beat and rhythm.

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
            Spin Master

• Aug 2008

hahahahah good find broo!!!! even before my time! new spoof in the works!!! scissorhands!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

What do ya say? The man is obsessed!
              BAG ON!

Comment

• The Baggist
                Vert Baggin' Master
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                I would like to see that as well, but I don't know if it will happen. I know Alan has been "under the knife" several times, and I'm sure it would be difficult for him to practice for each show. He talked about his surgeries in this post and addressed that very thought here.

Too bad, because that would have would have given great exposure to the bag. Hey, BT you listening?
                If you watch ALAN punch to Led Zepplins "Song Remains the Same" its kinda hard to fathom that he has had such major surgeries!!! ALAN KAHN is AMAZING with all these lingering injuries.....can you imagine Alan at 100%

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                  ...our own AK, was doing it:

Check this out

Alan, where were you hiding this gem? I love it!!! I gave it 5 bags
                  Yes, this video is living proof that one shouldn't drink when hitting the speed bag.......
                  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                  He'll go there with a platform that will magnify the bag's rebound sound and hit to the beat of what ever song he wants
                  I have hooked up electronic drum triggers to a specially adapted board, and hooked the triggers to a DM-5 electronic drum machine, tuning the triggers to make various drum sounds. It’s pretty cool, but still a work in progress…..

He could mix a little comedy in with it.
                  They could let me hit naked - and we’d make comedy history! Like Larry the Cable says: “now that’s funny….”

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
                  If you watch ALAN punch to Led Zepplins "Song Remains the Same" its kinda hard to fathom that he has had such major surgeries!!!
                  Yes I have had a few surgeries in my day. I was on the Christmas card list for the local Operating Room staff for about 9 years, which saw me make 11 trips through during that time. Knees, shoulders, elbow, feet and neck… to name a few. The worst was the laminectomies in Oct 1999. Due to residual pain, numbness and weakness to me left shoulder after that surgery I lost a lot of repetitive speed, power and conditioning in my left arm. My “FAST” speed bagging days are before that date and my left arm was never better than about 80% afterward. In the past few years I have become mostly a right arm dominate puncher, throwing in the left occasionally when needed, particularly on faster songs. That's why I don't really pursue a lot of double bumping with elbows. It is a very jerky move for me and hurts more than the reward of the combo.
                  For the record since January 2006 I’ve had three surgeries on my left shoulder, and contemplating another one.

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
                  :.....can you imagine Alan at 100%
                  Yes, I can. My speed bag “heart” has not diminished, and I sometimes plan, think and workout for brief periods like my neck and shoulder issues are just a bad dream. But reality is never far away.

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                  ….You know I'm sure if enough thought and Practice went into it, Alan could put together a "team" of baggers i.e Himself, Skunk, Scissorhands, Spinssmash, and go on the show.
                  I’d love to put together a speed bag exhibition team, choreographing several speed bag skits, multiple bagging, drum-bag solos battles and unison beats. I’ve been thinking about that since 2001 and my Blue Man days. With the bag talent we’ve got today it would be AWESOME and skunk could end it as “Riff Raff” taking us to the future by ripping to Time Warp, which is screamer speed punching in syncopated combinations! Scissorhands could be running around ripping his shirt off as Rocky Horror. Now that’s a great spoof - and brings back a lot of memories for those of us who actually did this movie on many a midnight "back in the day".
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MikeTarheel
                    • Sep 2009

I'm not sure what happened to you, Alan, but I'm sorry it did. Car accident? Or fall of some kind? I am Glad you seem to have recovered and hope you are Well.

I know I'll need to earn my Stripes around here through time, but I have some Developed Skills that might be of service in marketing if ever that be an issue of service. I'm awful busy now but I have a little campus here and I am interested in what All You Guys are doing. Some people know a Good Thing when they see it . Please advise if there is anything I can be of service in with your endeavors to market your objectives (over time, of course). You can visit my website if you like at www.listoptimal.com

Thanks,
                    Mike

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MikeTarheel View Post
                      I'm not sure what happened to you, Alan, but I'm sorry it did. Car accident? Or fall of some kind? I am Glad you seem to have recovered and hope you are Well.

I know I'll need to earn my Stripes around here through time, but I have some Developed Skills that might be of service in marketing if ever that be an issue of service. I'm awful busy now but I have a little campus here and I am interested in what All You Guys are doing. Some people know a Good Thing when they see it . Please advise if there is anything I can be of service in with your endeavors to market your objectives (over time, of course). You can visit my website if you like at www.listoptimal.com

Thanks,
                      Mike
                      Nothing really "happened" to me. I'm the result of lousy genetics trapped inside someone who is slightly obsessive. I inherited a set of lousy joint genes, starting at birth. I was born at an early age with most of my neck bones fused, allowing little neck motion. instead of seven moving vertebrae in my neck I had three, which turned out to be not enough for what I put it through. Couple that with a severe case of "overuse syndrome" by my inability to leave the weight room, racquetball courts or karate dojo for hours and hours a day, and finish it off with the silly belief that the best way to overcome an injury is to "work throught it" rather than let it heal - and I pretty much set myself up to have a few joint blow outs later in life. It started with three knew surgeries after 20 years of nightly racquetball. I slowed on the racquetball and dove off into Hapkido martial arts for five years. At 41 my neck had enough and rearranged itself during a racquetball game, requiring a few disk extractions, fusions and finally the laminectomy During that time I also had a few "minor" shoulder surgeries for frayed rotator cuffs and impingement problems. By this time (mid-1990's) I was into serious speed bag addiction and logged many nights of 3-5 hours hitting non-stop. Maybe 20 year old shoulders could have stood that much intensity, but a 40+ year old one could not - especially after years of overuse in the weight room. It all added up to degeneration over time until you reach the point of diminishing returns and the minor muscle aches become serious pain due to joint damage from overuse. The surgeries to try and fix it, coupled with the longer and longer rehab times to recover from the surgeries start convincing you that perhaps you really need to cut back.

My family history, mother and fathers side, are riddled with our senior members having degenerative arthritis problems. My dad was in a neck brace for five years before he died, (at 48. I was 10), and several of his brothers were also. No matter what you do, you will not outlive your genetics. however, As the song says, "I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger..." (:57-1:09)

A little less activity and a little more rest inbetween might have made a difference.... ?? 20-20 hindsight I guess....
                      Last edited by Speedbag; 10-10-2009, 12:19 AM.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        Nothing really "happened" to me. I'm the result of lousy genetics trapped inside someone who is slightly obsessive. I inherited a set of lousy joint genes, starting at birth. I was born at an early age with most of my neck bones fused, allowing little neck motion. instead of seven moving vertebrae in my neck I had three, which turned out to be not enough for what I put it through. Couple that with a severe case of "overuse syndrome" by my inability to leave the weight room, racquetball courts or karate dojo for hours and hours a day, and finish it off with the silly belief that the best way to overcome an injury is to "work throught it" rather than let it heal - and I pretty much set myself up to have a few joint blow outs. It started with three knew surgeries after 20 years of nightly racquetball. I slowed on the racquetball and dove off into Hapkido martial arts for five years. At 41 my neck had enough and rearranged itself during a racquetball game, requiring a few disk extractions, fusions and finally the laminectomy During that time I also had a few "minor" shoulder surgeries for frayed rotator cuffs and impingement problems. By this time (mid-1990's) I was into serious speed bag addiction and logged many nights of 3-5 hours hitting non-stop. Maybe 20 year old shoulders could have stood that much intensity, but a 40+ year old one could not - especially after years of overuse in the weight room. It all added up to degeneration over time until you reach the point of diminishing returns and the minor muscle aches become serious pain due to joint damage from overuse. The surgeries to try and fix it, coupled with the longer and longer rehab times to recover from the surgeries start convincing you that perhaps you really need to cut back.

My family history, mother and fathers side, are riddled with our senior members having degenerative arthritis problems. My dad was in a neck brace for five years before he died, (at 48. I was 10), and several of his brothers were also. No matter what you do, you will not outlive your genetics. however, As the song says, "I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger..." (:57-1:09)

A little less activity and a little more rest inbetween might have made a difference.... ?? 20-20 hindsight I guess....
                        Ya know something Alan? With your family history, you're blessed to have been able to put together th bibleand give out such excellent lessons! We're more blessed having you around
                        sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger..." (:57-1:09)[/url]
                          When my Dad was alive he once told me that you'll always reach points in life where you second-guess your decisions. Don't let them drive you nuts and just keep learning.

When I analyze a past decision, I ask myself, "Did it seem like the best thing to do at the time?", the answer has always been yes and it at least puts my mind at rest.

But heck, I'm still screwing up at 56 years old! It's a shame that once you just about have it all right, it makes no difference because there are not many days left to take advantage of it.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

When my Dad was alive he once told me that you'll always reach points in life where you second-guess your decisions. Don't let them drive you nuts and just keep learning.

When I analyze a past decision, I ask myself, "Did it seem like the best thing to do at the time?", the answer has always been yes and it at least puts my mind at rest.
                            Yeah, John I hear ya. To me nobody said that better than Don McClean in Crossroads. I have found solace in his words more times than I can remember. Most especially when the neurosurgeon told me it was going to take three separate surgeries to fix my neck, and schedule the first surgery immediately. That was July 1991. Not the best month of my life...

....But there’s no need for turning back, cause all roads lead to where I stand,
                            And I believe I’ll walk them all, no matter what I may have planned

But heck, I'm still screwing up at 56 years old! It's a shame that once you just about have it all right, it makes no difference because there are not many days left to take advantage of it.
                            In that case we better take advantage of every day we have!
                            Sounds like we're just to young codgers trying to act old....
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Nov 2007

I can't believe I never heard that song Crossroads before. Isn't that something how a saying, a poem, a song, a verse, etc, could put things in perspective.

About 20 years ago after a bad motorcycle accident, the real hell begun and didn't end quick. There was a poem I read that sure hit home. I dated the night I read it and it still hangs on my wall. Every time I read it I can't but help think of that night. So it must be with that song Crossroads with you. A lot of memories with it. But hey, as gloomy as it has gotten for all of us on this forum, we're still kickin' and having fun in between it all.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...