X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RenoRattler
    • Sep 2009

New beginner, sayin' hello...

Hello everyone! Wow! This forum is insanely awesome, and y'all have some serious skills!

I have just got into speed bagging, and have found myself hooked. About two months ago I picked up a heavy bag/speed bag combo stand to put in my garage. I was looking for something a little more physical to add to my at home workout routine. I mainly got it for the heavy bag, as I wanted some really good contact with something.

I of course thought that the speed bag would be easy, and I would use it every now and then. Man, I was wrong. The bag that I got with the setup, and the way the speed bag portion of the stand was attached were both terrible.

After about two weeks of trying to get a rhythm down and failing, I finally bolted the platform to the stand with an engine bolt, and some hose clamps. Low and behold, I got a steadier base. And I was able to get some truer recoils.

After about two more weeks, I was going too fast and too hard for the stand, it would vibrate and mess up my recoils which would in turn mess me up. So I went by my local Big 5 Sporting, and found this and this both on sale. Picked both of them up for $55 and brought 'em home.

I've had that setup for about a month now, and am very happy with it. Although I am eyeing a new bag....

Anyway, love love this forum, and I am hoping to learn quite a bit from everyone and everything that is here. Oh, and also. Man there is a lot to learn. I hope to someday be as skilled as you guys.

Tim

My vid. I made this for some friends on a music forum that I hang out on a bit.

Last edited by RenoRattler; 09-23-2009, 02:46 PM.
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

You've Been Bagified!!!

Hey Rattler! Welcome! Speed Bagging Rules! Wait 'til you learn the advanced stuff.... you will be sleeping in your garage! I started with the same platform. Make it more sturdy by putting some weight on top! Everyone at this forum is cool! You are now part of a small yet mighty group of Psycho Baggers! We all join together from so many different parts of the world, careers, and all aspects of life; one nation, under platform!
    BAG ON!

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

RenoRattler, cool name and avatar! Welcome to the forum. Spinsmashpop pretty much summed everything up about us all. Any and all of of your questions about bagging will be answered here. Nice setup. Hope to see more video from you. I'm a Bear fan myself.....elcome and Bag On!
      sigpic

Comment

• The Baggist
        Vert Baggin' Master
        • May 2009

WELCOME RATTLER!!! Cool vid, love the inspirational poster and the strategically placed exercise equipment!! Now that your a full fledged speed bag junkie you are finding out how fast you can outgrow inferior equipment. Good choice of platform, like SSP says a little weight(sandbag is the safest) on top and your in business. Yeah your eyeing a new bag now and soon you will have a collection. I already lost count of mine!!!.....One more investment you should consider is the SPEED BAG BIBLE and DVD's, priceless info all packed into one great book and DVD's!!! The best place to score these is directly from the man himself ALAN KAHN "King of the Speed bag"!!!!

Comment

• Jordan
          • Jun 2009

Welcome aboard man, yeah I started on that platform as well, looks like you got the basics down pretty well. Can't wait to see more as you progress

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hey Rattler, won't be long and you'll be sinking your fangs into that bag!! Great start, and sounds like you've got good rhythm. You reproduced the sounds of the bag vocally real good, emphasizing the accented pattern of the rebounds. That's the cool part of the bag beat - It's peppered with accents and various levels of sound. We all find it pretty mermerizing to be sure.

Your equipment is fine. Many of us had that style board and there is nothing wrong with any of it. Spinsmashpop and Jordan both make a good suggestion: adding some weight to the top, particularly some "soft weight" like sand or dog food, will help make the board and rebound more solid, and also lower the pitch of your rebound a bit, kind of like a muffler. A steardier board gives a better rebound.

Hope to see some more video's from you! post them up so we can watch your progress and help you if ya want it.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              Your equipment is fine. Many of us had that style board and there is nothing wrong with any of it. Spinsmashpop and Jordan both make a good suggestion: adding some weight to the top, particularly some "soft weight" like sand or dog food, will help make the board and rebound more solid, and also lower the pitch of your rebound a bit, kind of like a muffler. A steardier board gives a better rebound.
              Yes Speedbag, I forgot about that benefit. The sandbag and or dog food acts like a muffler! Totally....
              Keep in mind.... I bought a 50 lb. bag of sand once and it made it worse. I have used a 30 lb bag of dog food that has gone down to 20. I have used a suitcase with 20 lbs. of pants and 10 lbs. of tire chains. So for some reson, around 30 lbs seems to work for me.
              And in the Speed Bag Truck, we have a box of gaffer tape above. It is only 20-25 lbs. and that does the trick.
              BAG ON!

Comment

• RenoRattler
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                Hey Rattler! Welcome! Speed Bagging Rules! Wait 'til you learn the advanced stuff.... you will be sleeping in your garage! I started with the same platform. Make it more sturdy by putting some weight on top! Everyone at this forum is cool! You are now part of a small yet mighty group of Psycho Baggers! We all join together from so many different parts of the world, careers, and all aspects of life; one nation, under platform!
                BAG ON!
                Thanks for the welcome.
                Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                RenoRattler, cool name and avatar! Welcome to the forum. Spinsmashpop pretty much summed everything up about us all. Any and all of of your questions about bagging will be answered here. Nice setup. Hope to see more video from you. I'm a Bear fan myself.....elcome and Bag On!
                Thanks! I've watched some of your vids, good stuff! And did I also notice a Dragonball poster on the wall? I have one up near my platform too.
                Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
                WELCOME RATTLER!!! Cool vid, love the inspirational poster and the strategically placed exercise equipment!! Now that your a full fledged speed bag junkie you are finding out how fast you can outgrow inferior equipment. Good choice of platform, like SSP says a little weight(sandbag is the safest) on top and your in business. Yeah your eyeing a new bag now and soon you will have a collection. I already lost count of mine!!!.....One more investment you should consider is the SPEED BAG BIBLE and DVD's, priceless info all packed into one great book and DVD's!!! The best place to score these is directly from the man himself ALAN KAHN "King of the Speed bag"!!!!
                I've already read a bit about the Speed Bag Bible, and have seen how much Alan knows. It will definitely be my next bag related purchase.
                Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                Welcome aboard man, yeah I started on that platform as well, looks like you got the basics down pretty well. Can't wait to see more as you progress
                Thanks!
                Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Hey Rattler, won't be long and you'll be sinking your fangs into that bag!! Great start, and sounds like you've got good rhythm. You reproduced the sounds of the bag vocally real good, emphasizing the accented pattern of the rebounds. That's the cool part of the bag beat - It's peppered with accents and various levels of sound. We all find it pretty mermerizing to be sure.

Hope to see some more video's from you! post them up so we can watch your progress and help you if ya want it.

I have played guitar for a while, and have always had decent hand eye coordination, so making the rhythm come out of the bag has indeed been extremely hypnotic for me.

I will definitely be adding some weight as soon as I can.

Thanks again for all the welcomes!

Comment

• goju
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
                  I have played guitar for a while,

Another muso.. nice. Welcome to the forums reno

Comment

• atgatt
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Reno, like all of us, we're thankful for this forum. The people here can really give you some inputs and we can learn from you too. Heck, I'm addicted to bagging and I don't even do the fancy moves, I just hit straight in different combos. Good enough for me in my boring life. Fun is the bottom line so you keep on bagging.

Why there is not a speed bag in every household still amazes me.

Comment

• metaldad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
                      Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks! I've watched some of your vids, good stuff! And did I also notice a Dragonball poster on the wall? I have one up near my platform too.
                      Yes. I actually have two they are the movie posters from the two Cooler movies. I actually saw both films in the theater when I was stationed in Okinawa. That's where my fanaticism with Dragonball and Dragonball Z began. I'm a huge fan! I have Goku and Gohan tattooed on my right inner forearm. I have original episodes on vhs that I taped while staioned overseas. Oh no I'm rambling.....sorry.
                      sigpic

Comment

• RenoRattler
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by goju View Post
                        Another muso.. nice. Welcome to the forums reno
                        Yep yep, love the music.
                        Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                        Reno, like all of us, we're thankful for this forum. The people here can really give you some inputs and we can learn from you too. Heck, I'm addicted to bagging and I don't even do the fancy moves, I just hit straight in different combos. Good enough for me in my boring life. Fun is the bottom line so you keep on bagging.

Why there is not a speed bag in every household still amazes me.
                        There is something to it, isn't there?
                        Yes. I actually have two they are the movie posters from the two Cooler movies. I actually saw both films in the theater when I was stationed in Okinawa. That's where my fanaticism with Dragonball and Dragonball Z began. I'm a huge fan! I have Goku and Gohan tattooed on my right inner forearm. I have original episodes on vhs that I taped while staioned overseas. Oh no I'm rambling.....sorry.
                        That is pretty dang awesome. I love the series as well, and have actually thought about tattoos myself. It's always nice to come across kindred spirits.

Comment

• Kyle
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Nov 2006

lol i used to watch those shows as a kid and loved them. found them on the Internet a couple years back a re-watched them and i still like it!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                            RI just hit straight in different combos. Good enough for me in my boring life. Fun is the bottom line so you keep on bagging.
                            Atgatt, "boring life?" Get a free standing platform and set it up in the busiest section of town and start bagging! Film it and get a reaction. Put it on youtube.
                            Save money to pay for the fine if there is any.
                            Then... bring it into the parking lot of the mall on a Saturday afternoon, or the day after Thanksgiving... do the same thing....call your buddy "Tonto" and become The Lone Bagger! The Maverick Bagger! This will also put a positive kind of pressure on you to get your skills in top notch shape!
                            Haha!
                            Anyhow, just saying...I hope you are doing stuff you love and being a member on this forum means you got to that point with the bag! BAG ON!
                            Last edited by spinsmashpop; 09-25-2009, 02:45 AM. Reason: idea tightened up

Comment

• metaldad
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                              lol i used to watch those shows as a kid and loved them. found them on the Internet a couple years back a re-watched them and i still like it!
                              Dragonball Z in few words: ACTION PACKED BEAT THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF EACH OTHER BADASS!!

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                              Atgatt, "boring life?" Get a free standing platform and set it up in the busiest section of town and start bagging! Film it and get a reaction. Put it on youtube.
                              Save money to pay for the fine if there is any.
                              Then... bring it into the parking lot of the mall on a Saturday afternoon, or the day after Thanksgiving... do the same thing....call your buddy "Tonto" and become The Lone Bagger! The Maverick Bagger! This will also put a positive kind of pressure on you to get your skills in top notch shape!
                              Haha!
                              Anyhow, just saying...I hope you are doing stuff you love and being a member on this forum means you got to that point with the bag! BAG ON!
                              Brian you've done it again you innovative so-and-so you lol!
                              Last edited by metaldad; 09-25-2009, 10:54 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...