X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goju
    • Aug 2009

Duff Swivel ( possibly ) ?

Hey fellas, could you check this short vid i made today on my mobile phone please.. Its an Everlast plastic ball swivel, and i think it may be a duff one.. as you can see in the vid, the ball seems really sticky ( no smooth movement ). Ive had this swivel for some time now but never used it for these reasons. Also i have put some WD40 spray on it and its still the same, and i have no idea if this is normal.. There is also a kind of grinding sound as well..sorry for the poor quality.. and many thanks for looking

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Not really sure. It sounds sticky. Maybe wipe it down real good again and shoot it with some WD-40 again. I've seen vids of Skunk where he has a metal ball that sounds like an animal! He or one of the others may know. My sluggish/squeaky sounds were all fixed with WD40. In the Speed bag truck, the weather has a lot to do with it. The hotter the truck, the better the swivel reaction. Is yours in a colder environment?

Comment

• goju
      • Aug 2009

The room temp is fine pop.. the swivel has been like it when it came with the platform ( which was a cheap everlast one )....also cant really hit the bag straight either, but hitting the bag with the chain link if fine

Comment

• fingers
        Speed Bag Guru
        • May 2008

It may wear in with use mate!! i am a big fan of the u bar swivell there is one i like the look of on Sugar rays site! the gold coloured one from BBE other than that it means importing one from the US....all praise the internet

Comment

• The Baggist
          Vert Baggin' Master
          • May 2009

Hey GOJU, you might want to try taking the swivel off the board, then pull the ball out of the housing(black part) and look (and feel) inside, maybe they left some extra plastic during manufacturing. You might be able to lightly sand it. Or as FINGERS said it might just be do to wear and tear, even though it sounds like you haven't used it much. Good luck!

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I agree with Spinsmashpop, it's hard to draw a conclusion from a free bag swinging a bit. It sounds hollow, which the plastic housing IS hollow, so I have to hear it during use and see it's action.

I've superglued the steel shank into the plastic ball on numerous plastic ballhooks, and some of the balls got a bit tacky with the glue on them, (it's hard NOT to get a least a little glue on the plastic ball...) but I didn't find any bad reaction in it's movement, other than it's got a difficult action to control. At first I really liked the plastic ball model, for it was fast and a lot quieter, then when I finally trusted it wouldn't fly apart I started to cut loose on it, and found it very hard to control. Maybe I needed more practice but I sure got a bunch of helicopter spins off several of them. Didn't matter what bag I used, it was spin city. I don't know if it's the light weight of the plastice ball or shape of the plastic ball over the metal ball shape (yes, they are different) but I seemed to have more control on with the metal version, at least it doesn't seem to "float" as much as the plastic. Anyhow, my trade off is putting a metal ball inside the plastic housing.

If possible, put up a video of you hitting the bag and perhaps we can make a better educated guess.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 09-23-2009, 06:36 AM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• goju
              • Aug 2009

many thanks guys.. i have had a look inside the housing and there are these tiny looking ball shaped plastic bits in there. Kinda looks a bit like Braille.. maybe that could be the problem ? as for a metal ball.. i didnt think you could get them anymore alan. we seem to be so limited over here in the Uk for swivels.. you cant even buy a everlast plastic ball hook lol.. and i know the swivel your on about fingers.. it does look nice. I would really like to get into trying to learn on a ball hook, as the chain link and U bar only hits on the same side of the bag each time.. if you get what i mean.. ill have a go sanding it today to see if that helps and let you chaps know .. cheers

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by goju View Post
                many thanks guys.. i have had a look inside the housing and there are these tiny looking ball shaped plastic bits in there. Kinda looks a bit like Braille.. maybe that could be the problem ? as for a metal ball.. i didnt think you could get them anymore alan. we seem to be so limited over here in the Uk for swivels.. you cant even buy a everlast plastic ball hook lol.. and i know the swivel your on about fingers.. it does look nice. I would really like to get into trying to learn on a ball hook, as the chain link and U bar only hits on the same side of the bag each time.. if you get what i mean.. ill have a go sanding it today to see if that helps and let you chaps know .. cheers
                That's not exactly true. You can hit from all sides with the chain link or U-Bar swivels, particularly front to back. The problem is when you start mixing combinations from LOTS of different sides, and then you "may" tend to notice more errant rebounds and breakdowns, or control problems. But for the most part, they work fine. The U-bar can be adapted a bit to be more compliant by taping the bag to it, but most people never have to resort to that.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• goju
                  • Aug 2009

Right i see.. well thanks for the info alan, very much appreciated. Well i put the chain link back on today and had a much better performance with my bag session.. cheers

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...