• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jordan
    • Jun 2009

SDP / FDP linking

Hey guys, I'm takin a look at the bible page 85 drill #18 It reads:

RR-L1 L-R R-L-Rr R-L L
    (FSP)'''(SDP)-[1/2]-(FDP)'''(FDP)'''(SDP)-[1/2]-(FDP)'''(FCP)

just tryin to see if I'm reading it correctly

sorry about all the bags its the only way i could get the first line aligned with the second haha
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
    Hey guys, I'm takin a look at the bible page 85 drill #18 It reads:

RR-L1 L-R R-L-Rr R-L L
    (FSP)'''(SDP)-[1/2]-(FDP)'''(FDP)'''(SDP)-[1/2]-(FDP)'''(FCP)

just tryin to see if I'm reading it correctly

sorry about all the bags its the only way i could get the first line aligned with the second haha
    Hey Jordan,

Yes you wrote that correctly, AND you performed it correctly.

I included this exercise because it does several things.

It teaches you to follow a FSP with a SDP after 3 rebounds. ( FSP hits front. Lead fist of SDP hits front. Front to front = 3 rebounds).
    It teaches you to go from a side fist contact (second fist of the SDP) to the front (lead fist of FDP) on two rebounds.
    It reinforces an earlier exercise to rotate the leading fist of the FDP ' ' ' FDP combo (L-R) ' ' ' (R-L)
    It teaches you to go from a FDP to a SDP on three rebounds.
    It easily move the SDP from one side of the bag to the other, (that's why I rotated the FDP lead).
    The goal is to teach your ear and your timing to switch double punches between two and three rebounds, reinforcing rule of rhythm #3, which says when the next punch comes from a different side of the bag, sometimes it happens on an "odd" number of rebounds (front to side) and sometimes on an "even" number of rebounds (side to front).

The reason FDP ' ' ' SDP happens on three (odd) rebounds is because the second fist of the FDP hits the front of the bag, and the lead fist of the SDP hits the front of the bag. Front followed by front = same side, odd beat.
    The reason the SDP ' ' FDP happens on two rebounds is because the second fist of the SDP hits the side of the bag, and the lead fist of the FDP hits the Front of the bag. Side followed by front = different sides, even. You're about to learn (ex" 21) that side followed by back
    (SDP ' ' ' RDP) will = side to back, odd. But first you'll learn RDP ' ' SDP in Exercise 20.

Here's one you'll have fun with:

FDP ' ' ' SDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' '...repeat, rotate lead and go around the other side.

( remember this one, SSP? you did it in Houston.)

Jordan, try to keep your arms up a little more steady, swing from your elbows not so much your shoulders. I see you hands way up over the bag belly hitting up past the bag center. You'll make smaller circles if you keep your shoulders from moving so much. It's not a big movement to do this combination... Keep working, you can do it...
    Last edited by Speedbag; 09-15-2009, 06:51 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• goju
      • Aug 2009

what swivel are you using jordan ? nice vid btw

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Jordan, you're getting better every day. What a difference from when we bagged in the truck!
        BAG ON!
        Last edited by spinsmashpop; 09-15-2009, 02:45 AM. Reason: felt the need to add colorful bags!

Comment

• Jordan
          • Jun 2009

JEEZ, I love your explainations Alan, I'm glad I'm doin it right, the video itself is the first time I tried it so its a bit scruffy haha, but you seem to put it all in prospective mr. Kahn....thanks to tichy and goju ....goju I'm actually using a link swivil in this vid, I'd actually prefer a metal ball swivel, but I can't find one, and the plastic ball swivel I had I ruined by trying to super glue it in place, it just dried a bit too quick hahaha.... I really appreciate all the advice that you give me Alan, you are truly a tribute to pursueing something that you love. I also appreciate the praise from Tichy; I'm goin at the bag like I've never done before and it feels good to be told that the fruits of my labor are bearing fruit...hopefully once I've read the whole bible, I'll be able to throw up a vid with some punch drumming skills...I can't freakin wait. Like spin would say BAG ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

...hopefully once I've read the whole bible, I'll be able to throw up a vid with some punch drumming skills...I can't freakin wait. Like spin would say BAG ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Jordan, you don't need to read and understand the "whole bible" to Punch Drum. The truth is, you can start Punch Drumming right now, just keep a beat with the Basic Rhythm. Start with a slow song, then tap your foot, then do the Basic Rhythm, adjusting your punching speed so your Single Fist Punches hit ON the beat, (when you tap your foot..). Forget about the non-punched swinging rebounds, concentrate on the main accented punch beat. Do that, and you ARE Punch Drumming.
            Sure, the more techniques and combo's you know, the more possibilities you have, but you can punch to music right now. It's a great way to learn control, because the speed and meter of the song usually doesn't change, making your ability to repetitively punch more consistent.

The truth is, I only use about 14 or 16 of the possible 24 techniques when I'm Punch Drumming, and you'll find favorites that you can use a lot.

You are progressing very well. The combinations in the Side Chapter are getting more and more difficult. That's really deep into the system, so good job! The end is worth the journey...
            Last edited by Speedbag; 09-15-2009, 07:02 AM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jordan
              • Jun 2009

Thanks, I'll give it a shot

Comment

• goju
                • Aug 2009

J ....goju I'm actually using a link swivil
                Thanks for the heads up jordan.. i just got a new board with a everlast link swivel.. After reading so many posts here and seeing most of the guys using ball swivels, i was a bit concerned how versatile the chain link was .. but after seeing your vid, your doing great with a chain link

Comment

• Kyle
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by goju View Post
                  Thanks for the heads up jordan.. i just got a new board with a everlast link swivel.. After reading so many posts here and seeing most of the guys using ball swivels, i was a bit concerned how versatile the chain link was .. but after seeing your vid, your doing great with a chain link
                  the chain link swivel is a great swivel...it only really becomes a factor when transition to the sides but even then it shud rotate most of the time. i herd with the time it will start to bind up but over time all swivels will wear out.

Comment

• goju
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                    the chain link swivel is a great swivel...it only really becomes a factor when transition to the sides.
                    yeah, thats what i was kind of worried about kyle

Comment

• Jordan
                      • Jun 2009

Yeah goju, to be honest, like I said I do prefer the ball swivel, but the chain link doesn't provide as much resistance as I first thought it would when changing direction....this particular vid I'm doin a skill that I had never done before on the bag, but if I'm just doin single punches side to front or back to side I really don't notice any problems with the swivel....In my personal opinion unless you are REALLY good like Alan Kahn or something you don't NEED the ball swivel, it's perfectly fine to learn on a chain-link; plus you can really catch some speed on a small bag and chain link!!!!!

Comment

• goju
                        • Aug 2009

nice one mate cheers

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Yeah goju, to be honest, like I said I do prefer the ball swivel, but the chain link doesn't provide as much resistance as I first thought it would when changing direction....this particular vid I'm doin a skill that I had never done before on the bag, but if I'm just doin single punches side to front or back to side I really don't notice any problems with the swivel....In my personal opinion unless you are REALLY good like Alan Kahn or something you don't NEED the ball swivel, it's perfectly fine to learn on a chain-link; plus you can really catch some speed on a small bag and chain link!!!!!
                          That's very true. There are plenty of people punching "like Alan Kahn" from all around the bag on chain link swivels, or any type of swivels for that matter. I've used chain links plenty in days gone by and they are a fast, efficient swivel. The only drawback is they are a pain to change bags, and occasionally the link arrangement will influence the bag rebound when do more advanced combination where the fists come from various sides. It doesn't happen all that often but when you go to the sides of the bag a lot you will start to notice it. And a decent chain link swivel is normally very fast.
                          Last edited by Speedbag; 09-16-2009, 07:32 PM.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

I use the Chain link although I don't "swear" by it, I find it to be a good enough swivel especially for speed. I have a plastic ball hook which I'm afraid hasn't been the same since I tried to modify it.Whoops. I would love to try other swivels and compare. Not even Close to hitting like Alan yet. Jordan, you're improving greatly my friend!!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Jordan
                              • Jun 2009

thanks metal I appreciate it.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...