• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

practicing

I got home from work this morning and decided to try working on some more triple elbows:

sigpic
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

OK. Most of your right arm leading O-TES (Right Elbow - Right Fist - Left Fist) break down because your right fist (lead fist in the technique) is slipping down the front of the bag. I think it's because your arcing your arm angle downward instead of keeping the elbow up bring that fist "straight" into the bag, rather than grazing it in a downward slice. It happens a lot in this video.

I would suggest you try doing some Outward Double Elbow Strikes with both arms to clean up and solidify that lead fist contact. Try this with each arm.

(O-DES) ' ' ' (O-DES) ' ' ' (O-DES) ' ' (RSP) ' ' (O-DES) ' ' '...repeat.

this practice combo will do three things for you: First, clean up your lead fist contact after the outward elbow, and second, help you learn to link that lead fist off the elbow strike. You have to keep the elbow "UP" to make this easier. If your elbow is down, you will probably make that RSP contact "under" the belly and drive the bag up into the swivel. Listen for that clanging sound. Third, it will help you learn to go from a RSP to the outward elbow movement.
    You can also leave it behind the bag to do a few RSP before continuing this combination.

hope it helps. Great progress by the way
    Last edited by Speedbag; 09-12-2009, 09:38 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Good job Metaldad! You are getting smoother overall!
      I read what Speedbag wrote while I was noticing the same thing...
      It seems like you can point and extend your elbows out a bit more ....
      Overall, focus on keeping them up more....
      Alan Kahn also breaks it down with a very simplistic view....
      The first part of the D-TES is downward double elbow strike than a simple FSP.... so do a bunch of D-DES's and then throw in a follow up FSP....
      That way you are not thinking about the last hit of the TES predominantly and letting the 2nd of the 3 hits get by without much attention....
      Have you worked on repetitive double elbow strikes (with 2 rebounds in between) with one arm only?
      It is a real good exercise and gets you all warmed up when tackling the D and O TES's....
      When punch drumming in straight 4/4 time, you can easily replace a FDP with an O or D DES.... it has the same sound and places you in the same part of the beat.... this is not the same for the Triples...
      So, getting the DES's together is crucial to getting the TESs....
      BAG ON!

Comment

• goju
        • Aug 2009

what is that your doing with your fists at 19 - 21 ? ( the left and right motion )
        and what part of the fists are you hitting the bag ? Another good vid MD

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          OK. Most of your right arm leading O-TES (Right Elbow - Right Fist - Left Fist) break down because your right fist (lead fist in the technique) is slipping down the front of the bag. I think it's because your arcing your arm angle downward instead of keeping the elbow up bring that fist "straight" into the bag, rather than grazing it in a downward slice. It happens a lot in this video.

I would suggest you try doing some Outward Double Elbow Strikes with both arms to clean up and solidify that lead fist contact. Try this with each arm.

(O-DES) ' ' ' (O-DES) ' ' ' (O-DES) ' ' (RSP) ' ' (O-DES) ' ' '...repeat.

this practice combo will do three things for you: First, clean up your lead fist contact after the outward elbow, and second, help you learn to link that lead fist off the elbow strike. You have to keep the elbow "UP" to make this easier. If your elbow is down, you will probably make that RSP contact "under" the belly and drive the bag up into the swivel. Listen for that clanging sound. Third, it will help you learn to go from a RSP to the outward elbow movement.
          You can also leave it behind the bag to do a few RSP before continuing this combination.

hope it helps. Great progress by the way
          Thanks Alan, this does help. I've kinda been running before I walk so I need to get some more basics down.
          Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
          Good job Metaldad! You are getting smoother overall!
          I read what Speedbag wrote while I was noticing the same thing...
          It seems like you can point and extend your elbows out a bit more ....
          Overall, focus on keeping them up more....
          Alan Kahn also breaks it down with a very simplistic view....
          The first part of the D-TES is downward double elbow strike than a simple FSP.... so do a bunch of D-DES's and then throw in a follow up FSP....
          That way you are not thinking about the last hit of the TES predominantly and letting the 2nd of the 3 hits get by without much attention....
          Have you worked on repetitive double elbow strikes (with 2 rebounds in between) with one arm only?
          It is a real good exercise and gets you all warmed up when tackling the D and O TES's....
          When punch drumming in straight 4/4 time, you can easily replace a FDP with an O or D DES.... it has the same sound and places you in the same part of the beat.... this is not the same for the Triples...
          So, getting the DES's together is crucial to getting the TESs....
          BAG ON!
          I haven't been working on that. Back to the woodshed LOL

Originally posted by goju View Post
          what is that your doing with your fists at 19 - 21 ? ( the left and right motion )
          and what part of the fists are you hitting the bag ? Another good vid MD
          Thanks Goju. Are you talking about the FDP(Front Double Punch)? If so, that's another basic technique that's very easy to learn. I haven't put much thought into what part of the fist hits the bag, however as I'm sitting here and performing the motion I see that it's the knuckles of my pinkie and ring fingers. In the Speed Bag Bible, this is broken down on page 23.
          sigpic

Comment

• goju
            • Aug 2009

Thanks mate, i really need to get my hands on alans book. There is only so much you can learn from watching vids here and on youtube.

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Thanks mate, i really need to get my hands on alans book. There is only so much you can learn from watching vids here and on youtube.
              I'm sorry, I thought you had it already, if you can, get it. If not, I do believe there are some old posts here in the forum that break the techniques down and remember, Alan and alot the other members are more than willing to help!
              sigpic

Comment

• goju
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                I'm sorry, I thought you had it already, if you can, get it.
                well i shall probably get it after my wedding in 2 weeks.. money is a bit tight at the mo.. I started off watching skunk on youtube but damn, he hits to fast to keep up with what he is doing.. Its nice to see other baggers that are a bit slower than skunk then you can kind of see whats going on lol

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

well i shall probably get it after my wedding in 2 weeks.. money is a bit tight at the mo.. I started off watching skunk on youtube but damn, he hits to fast to keep up with what he is doing.. Its nice to see other baggers that are a bit slower than skunk then you can kind of see whats going on lol
                  Congrats on your upcoming wedding. Good luck to you! There's always a way to learn a new technique and you're at the right place
                  sigpic

Comment

• Tim
                    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

.... I started off watching skunk on youtube but damn, he hits to fast to keep up with what he is doing.. Its nice to see other baggers that are a bit slower than skunk then you can kind of see whats going on lol
                    Haha, yeah that boy is fast. I have to watch it in slow motion to figure out what's going on!

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                    I got home from work this morning and decided to try working on some more triple elbows:
                    I give this video a 3 bag rating

(That means GOOD! plus I wanted to show off the new SPEED BAG SMILIE)

Comment

• Biff
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Haha, yeah that boy is fast. I have to watch it in slow motion to figure out what's going on!

I give this video a 3 bag rating

(That means GOOD! plus I wanted to show off the new SPEED BAG SMILIE)
                      Hey Tim, I can't see the new SB smilie. Was it used so much that the baldder burst?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...