• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Yet more from metaldad

Her's some footage of me working on O-TES, and some Reverse Punching. I lowered the platform per Alan's advice and I must say, what a difference. It definitely felt better!

The addiction has taken hold LOL
    Last edited by metaldad; 09-06-2009, 11:08 AM. Reason: moved aclip to a new thread
    sigpic
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

You've really improved on the O-TES. Nice work.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Punch Drummin' and Fist Rollin' to some KISS!

Metaldad! Your O-TES are looking smooth! Good job!
      And.... I noticed when you started fist rolling, you did a combination, 2 x's in a row, of; 4 fist rolls, 4 fist rolls, 10 fist rolls then repeated 4, 4, 10 again. That is the pattern used in the KSS song "Love Gun" after the guitar solo. Check it out and see if you can keep basic punching time to it as it not a fast song and it based on a triplet groove, (triplets= 3 smaller beats per every down/strong beat, counted evenly like "one-trip-let, 2-trip-let, 3-trip-let, 4-trip-let...." The bag's natural rhythm is a triplet so when punching on the beat you will hear the bag locked up to all the smaller rhythms in the song.
      For the part I am talking about, listen to 2:18.
      BAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Metaldad:

You're O-TES movements and combo's were much improved, and I suspected it would be easier with the bag lower. You might work a bit on your Outward-Double Elbow Strike (O-DES) to make that motion a bit more solid, AND you can link that fist off to a Reverse Single Punch (RSP). Remember, it's nothing more than a single fist pass-through, which you are already doing without the elbow connection in front.

Also, consider you are doing a Reverse Double Punch to Front Double Punch - (RDP) ' ' (FDP). Now, after the RDP, just pull the arms a bit more back to set the elbow position and follow it with an O-TES. it looks like this. (RDP) ' ' (O-TES).
        You can do (O-TES) ' ' (RDP) ' ' (O-TES) ' ' (RDP)... The fists do the exact same thing as (FDP) ' ' (RDP). there is no difference except the elbow leads.

I was going to comment that your Fist Rolling Sequence was great from :22-45sec. I could really hear a cadence beat, starting and stopping dead on beat. I suspect you did that by ear and have a real sense of bag beat and rhythm.

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
        And.... I noticed when you started fist rolling, you did a combination, 2 x's in a row, of; 4 fist rolls, 4 fist rolls, 10 fist rolls then repeated 4, 4, 10 again. That is the pattern used in the KSS song "Love Gun" after the guitar solo. Check it out and see if you can keep basic punching time to it as it not a fast song and it based on a triplet groove, (triplets= 3 smaller beats per every down/strong beat, counted evenly like "one-trip-let, 2-trip-let, 3-trip-let, 4-trip-let...." The bag's natural rhythm is a triplet so when punching on the beat you will hear the bag locked up to all the smaller rhythms in the song.
        BAG ON!
        SSP, your ear for baggin' beats is amazing. (duh...). You are right, 2:18 is exactly the 4 punch roll sequence, since it starts and stops "one" the beat. the 4-4-10 is perfect. The song opens with 4-4-7 Sequence, easily rollable.

And the song choice, "love Gun" fits perfect for straight time punching with kind of a bounce beat da-DA-da-DA. You can easily hear the Basic Rhythm to FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' '..repeat transition throughout the whole song. It should be an easy song to hit with once you get the the Double Fist pass throughs down to keep that double bounce beat going steady.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Biff View Post
          You've really improved on the O-TES. Nice work.
          Thanks Biff1 I'm starting to get obssessed with getting them right .

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
          BAG ON!
          Hey SSP my man! I checked out the tune and I had no idea! Just like that other beat you noticed I was doing. Maybe my choice of songs should change.lol I just like doing those type rolls. Since I'm not a drummer, this my way of doing blast beats and double kick drum lol! I gotta find me some KISS.........What the hell kinda of Metalhead am I? No KISS collection? SACRELIGE!!!!!!!i SHOULD BE FLOGGED!!I do have plenty of Van Halen, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Rush,...........Oh GOD, I'm rambling again..."ramble on......now 's the time the time is now to sing my song....going round the world to find my girl" Ok I'm done

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Metaldad:

You're O-TES movements and combo's were much improved, and I suspected it would be easier with the bag lower. You might work a bit on your Outward-Double Elbow Strike (O-DES) to make that motion a bit more solid, AND you can link that fist off to a Reverse Single Punch (RSP). Remember, it's nothing more than a single fist pass-through, which you are already doing without the elbow connection in front.

Also, consider you are doing a Reverse Double Punch to Front Double Punch - (RDP) ' ' (FDP). Now, after the RDP, just pull the arms a bit more back to set the elbow position and follow it with an O-TES. it looks like this. (RDP) ' ' (O-TES).
          You can do (O-TES) ' ' (RDP) ' ' (O-TES) ' ' (RDP)... The fists do the exact same thing as (FDP) ' ' (RDP). there is no difference except the elbow leads.

I was going to comment that your Fist Rolling Sequence was great from :22-45sec. I could really hear a cadence beat, starting and stopping dead on beat. I suspect you did that by ear and have a real sense of bag beat and rhythm.

SSP, your ear for baggin' beats is amazing. (duh...). You are right, 2:18 is exactly the 4 punch roll sequence, since it starts and stops "one" the beat. the 4-4-10 is perfect. The song opens with 4-4-7 Sequence, easily rollable.

And the song choice, "love Gun" fits perfect for straight time punching with kind of a bounce beat da-DA-da-DA. You can easily hear the Basic Rhythm to FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' '..repeat transition throughout the whole song. It should be an easy song to hit with once you get the the Double Fist pass throughs down to keep that double bounce beat going steady.
          Thanks Alan. Again, I really love fist rolling..I call that technique the blast beat of the speed bag. I'll work on linking the RSP in. Hopefully pretty soon I'll have some really good stuff posted up. It'll be a good while before I'm in league with you guys but at least the lessons you're teaching will be eveident! Thanks again
          sigpic

Comment

• goju
            • Aug 2009

your baggin seems to be coming along very nicely MD.. keep it up fella

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...