• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Gus Keller!

I figured I'd post this just in case anyone hasn't seen it. It was an alternate selection choice via The Baggist's last clip. After his finishes, some others pop up; this being one of them....
    So, uhhhh, this was 1903. Uhhh, I was unaware that the bar was set so high....... over 100 years ago!!!!!!
    I want to know what Speedbag thinks of Gus! Speedbag, when did you become aware of the advanced level of speed bagging from the beginning of the 20th Century?
    BAG ON AND ON!

• The Baggist
    Vert Baggin' Master
    • May 2009

This vid is probably the oldest and greatest documented speed bag vids. Johnny Pal had mentioned Gus's name a couple of weeks ago in one of his youtube posts and I instantly did a search and was AMAZED!!!! I also did a search on the SB FORUM and ALAN had links of the vid posted. Hopefully this one sticks around unlike the Doris De Green footage.....

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
      So, uhhhh, this was 1903. Uhhh, I was unaware that the bar was set so high....... over 100 years ago!!!!!!
      I want to know what Speedbag thinks of Gus!

I am amazed and jealous of his skills. Unreal originality, speed, timing and rhythm. too bad there is no sound.

.. Speedbag, when did you become aware of the advanced level of speed bagging from the beginning of the 20th Century?
      BAG ON AND ON!
      I learned of them when I started researching the history of speed bag many years ago (late 1980's and '90's). I had heard the names of Doris DeGreen, The amazing Vagges (bottom of page) and Kid Brunnel and Gus Keller but I never saw footage of them until a few years ago with the advent of Youtube and massive web searches.

I am amazed at their skills and the variety of combinations they do, as well as the total body inclusion of knees, kicking and multiple bags. Seeing them was a humbling experience in many ways. First, because there was so much more that could be done on the bag than what I was doing, Second, that the speed bag addiction has been affecting people for much longer than I imagined. Way back in 1900, (and earlier) People like Gus were staring at a bag, trying to figure it all out. I feel a strong kinship to them all, and I'm proud to have done my little part to pass on their skills in a reasonably reliabe way to learn most of it. It's obvious when watching them that we are really not creating anything original on the bag that wasn't already done by them years earlier.

Through all the years it's obvious that the equipment has changed slightly. Different sizes, shapes and material - but the basic layout, and the punching skills have not. we all just keep passing it on. And we do that because,

..all things considered - I'd rather be baggin'.

Great post, SSP.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

So, uhhhh, this was 1903. Uhhh, I was unaware that the bar was set so high....... over 100 years ago!!!!!
        Way cool, thx for posting, as I had NOT seen this particular clip.

Pretty amazing, I wonder where he learned all that or if he was completely self taught ???

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          Way cool, thx for posting, as I had NOT seen this particular clip.

Pretty amazing, I wonder where he learned all that or if he was completely self taught ???
          now that's the sixty four thousand dollar question! How did he figure that all out?
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Here's a good version...must see:
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Johnny O
              • Apr 2011

Zaza, Thanks for reposting that footage! Very cool stuff... although my back hurts just watching that floor baggin.

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Johnny O View Post
                Zaza, Thanks for reposting that footage! Very cool stuff... although my back hurts just watching that floor baggin.
                I know! I want see Tommy T doing that (if anyone can, it's him!). I'll tell you, researching the history of the speed bag is quite interesting.....I only wish there was more & better footage of some of the old "Fancy Punchers".

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

It used to be quite a number of striking bag acts on the variety circuit. How many of them were actually filmed is currently unknown. I've been tracking an act that was showcased on the old Paul Winchell Show that was aired on Sunday afternoons late 1959's early 60's. There are copies of kinescopes of his acts, but so far none of the variety acts that were featured.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    It used to be quite a number of striking bag acts on the variety circuit. How many of them were actually filmed is currently unknown. I've been tracking an act that was showcased on the old Paul Winchell Show that was aired on Sunday afternoons late 1959's early 60's. There are copies of kinescopes of his acts, but so far none of the variety acts that were featured.
                    I remember the Paul Winchell Show. eek. So, I the mystery is solved. I now finally understand my fascination with the speed bag. I was watching vaudeville acts when just a babe and I was brain-washed. Or was it bag-washed? groan. By the way, that's a great video. He certainly made the most of his speed bags.
                    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Biff
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Gotta wonder where Gus picked up some of his tricks. Was he an innovator or did he perfect existing moves? Dutchman, AK, Za, any idea how far back the "fancy punchers" began?

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

My research tends to lead me to believe that this form of "physical culture" surfaced shortly after the development of the inflated striking bag. The were actually more like double end bags without the bottom elastic. I'd say by the late 1880's early 1890's. I recall seeing a pretty complete line of striking bags in the Sears catalogs of that era, along with a booklet on "fancy punching".

Comment

• Biff
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          My research tends to lead me to believe that this form of "physical culture" surfaced shortly after the development of the inflated striking bag. The were actually more like double end bags without the bottom elastic. I'd say by the late 1880's early 1890's. I recall seeing a pretty complete line of striking bags in the Sears catalogs of that era, along with a booklet on "fancy punching".
                          I thought you would know the answer. Thanks.

Comment

• Zaza
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2011

Fancy answers!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...