• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

My 'lil 6 year old bagger goin' for it!

One of my 6 yr. old daughters, Charlotte (I have twins) has gotten used to moving a drum throne under the bag and hittin' for a couple minutes here and there. I had to get a pic and also some vid. She's real active, coordinated, photogenic and digs herself some spotlight every now and then! And she prefers those smaller bags for some extra speed! haha....
    Attached Files
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Wow, you got your hands full with that one. She is gonna be handful (if she's not already)

nice bag, too. I see it's a 9x6
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

She's a cutie!!

And you have two???? God bless you. As Alan said, you'll have your hands full.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Kids 'n bags!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Wow, you got your hands full with that one. She is gonna be handful (if she's not already)

nice bag, too. I see it's a 9x6
        Yeah, she is awesome. I'll take "hands full" with my daughters anytime! RE: the 9x6; yes, you should try one! haha! Thanks again AK! It's also the one getting pummeled in my avatar!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Twins

Originally posted by Biff View Post
          She's a cutie!!

And you have two???? God bless you. As Alan said, you'll have your hands full.
          Yup, 2 girls... I'm not looking forward to when the boys start comin' round..we all know to well how WE were, and I'll take that knowledge and expertise to my full advantage!
          Maybe they'll have to prove themselves on the bag first!
          "Hey punk! Give me some O-TES's and reverse side punches into a fist roll or get the *&%$ outta here! Come back after you've purchased and studied AK''s Bible and DVD's! I want to see some Skunk speed and a degree before you even look at my kid! And while you're at it, bring your Dad over for some punch drumming!" hahaha..... hey...this may be a reality!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
            Yup, 2 girls... I'm not looking forward to when the boys start comin' round..we all know to well how WE were, and I'll take that knowledge and expertise to my full advantage!
            Maybe they'll have to prove themselves on the bag first!
            "Hey punk! Give me some O-TES's and reverse side punches into a fist roll or get the *&%$ outta here! Come back after you've purchased and studied AK''s Bible and DVD's! I want to see some Skunk speed and a degree before you even look at my kid! And while you're at it, bring your Dad over for some punch drumming!"hahaha..... hey...this may be a reality!
            Geez, your tough. OK, if their Dad can't do the Punch Drumming bit on the speed bag, give 'em a second chance with Real Drums.

take them to your set, show them this (live), smile and say "your turn".

( yeah, right...)

If they can't do that, just ask them to do the stick flip.

(in front 10,000 people..)
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Just Kiddin! I'm a joker, not a fighter!....

Geez, your tough. OK, if their Dad can't do the Punch Drumming bit on the speed bag, give 'em a second chance with Real Drums.

take them to your set, show them this (live), smile and say "your turn".

( yeah, right...)

If they can't do that, just ask them to do the stick flip.

(in front 10,000 people..)
              Drums... 30 years..... Speed Bag.... 3 months.....AK, maybe I should stick to your suggestion .....

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Drums... 30 years..... Speed Bag.... 3 months.....AK, maybe I should stick to your suggestion .....
                Maybe not. Most people do well to separate the hands. Your ability to control and manipulate various rhythmic grooves with hands AND feet is really going to add another dimension to all this. Just imagine what you'll be doing with the bag in another few months, and mixing in the foot patterns of kick drums, cymbals and other foot driven rhythm instruments. (Years ago when I play drum sets myself, I could separate my hands and feet - but I've been away too long. Now my feet now end up following my hands. I'd have to start back again on basic hand-foot drills to gain independence.)

When you learn more techniques and combos, and learn to separate the hands to any side of the bag and to improvise sounds and beats around the bag, You're going to take this to a whole new level.

and then your twins can bring the boys (and their dads) over to watch the show.

But get ready, BT. when they see and hear it, you know they're going to want you to teach them.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Whippet
                  • Nov 2008

A long hard road you wouldn't trade for anything!

I miss stuff like that. My daughter just turned 19 last week. And twins! Both daughters too! When they start bringing lads home and the boys catch site of dad working the bag, the first word they are guaranteed to say to you will be "sir".

Dennis

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Whippet View Post
                    I miss stuff like that. My daughter just turned 19 last week. And twins! Both daughters too! When they start bringing lads home and the boys catch site of dad working the bag, the first word they are guaranteed to say to you will be "sir".

Dennis
                    !!!!Hahaha!!!! That's great! And then I'm like, "lookout, I've got fist-rollin' mania!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Maybe not. Most people do well to separate the hands. Your ability to control and manipulate various rhythmic grooves with hands AND feet is really going to add another dimension to all this. Just imagine what you'll be doing with the bag in another few months, and mixing in the foot patterns of kick drums, cymbals and other foot driven rhythm instruments. (Years ago when I play drum sets myself, I could separate my hands and feet - but I've been away too long. Now my feet now end up following my hands. I'd have to start back again on basic hand-foot drills to gain independence.)

When you learn more techniques and combos, and learn to separate the hands to any side of the bag and to improvise sounds and beats around the bag, You're going to take this to a whole new level.

and then your twins can bring the boys (and their dads) over to watch the show.

But get ready, BT. when they see and hear it, you know they're going to want you to teach them.
                      Yes, I'm gonna keep moving on all this. But I still just try to find the time to get under the board and work on flow and technique. The upcoming holidays and all make your free time level decrease.
                      AK, how 'bout that youtube clip of Paulie D??!! Super smooth! He's so fun to watch.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Yes, I'm gonna keep moving on all this. But I still just try to find the time to get under the board and work on flow and technique. The upcoming holidays and all make your free time level decrease.
                        AK, how 'bout that youtube clip of Paulie D??!! Super smooth! He's so fun to watch.

Yes Paulie D is very smooth and has a great mix of combinations. He does a lot of Front Double Punch "lead" fist linking as well as "second fist" linking, which is a bit more difficult. I do enjoy watching him. My only gig is that there is no bag sound. I would love to see and HEAR that bag clip without the music. To tell the truth, I watched it several times on mute an follow his combo's to hear his bag beat in my head.

Yeah, I'm probably a party pooper, but if your not punch drumming the speed bag too music, I rather not have the music disturbing the bag beat. Rhythms that are "out of sync" and off beat are painful to my ears. My natural inclination is to use the bag contact to sense their timing. You can tell a really sweet punch from an early or late one.

But no doubt he is a very talented bagger and has put in many hours under the board. You've heard Arnold talk about the "Discipline of Steel"? (hour after hour, day after day, in the weight room). I think Paulie D has definitely learned the "Discipline of Bag". I'd like to see and hear him punch to music.

I bet he's "got beat".

Hey, I like that. "Got Beat?"
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Yes Paulie D is very smooth and has a great mix of combinations. He does a lot of Front Double Punch "lead" fist linking as well as "second fist" linking, which is a bit more difficult. I do enjoy watching him. My only gig is that there is no bag sound. I would love to see and HEAR that bag clip without the music. To tell the truth, I watched it several times on mute an follow his combo's to hear his bag beat in my head.

Yeah, I'm probably a party pooper, but if your not punch drumming the speed bag too music, I rather not have the music disturbing the bag beat. Rhythms that are "out of sync" and off beat are painful to my ears. My natural inclination is to use the bag contact to sense their timing. You can tell a really sweet punch from an early or late one.

But no doubt he is a very talented bagger and has put in many hours under the board. You've heard Arnold talk about the "Discipline of Steel"? (hour after hour, day after day, in the weight room). I think Paulie D has definitely learned the "Discipline of Bag". I'd like to see and hear him punch to music.

I bet he's "got beat".

Hey, I like that. "Got Beat?"
                          AK...I gotta agree with you. I love the sound of the bag. I love the natural rhythms. And we all know how cool it sounds when its hit in the right place at the right time. I was just diggin' on Paulie D's technique. I did think, at first, it would be killer to hear how it sounds. The Skunk has a few vids where he overdubbed music and it takes away from the mightiness of the bag rhythm and his stellar control. I think some background music is ok if you are punching and can hear both. I know the rhythms will be off if its random punching over music. Maybe it can be looked at as some kind of "be bop" or "avant garde" punching! Jimmy Page's guitar solos can get like that too. He isn't locked in rhythmically. It's sporadic, off the cuff, in the moment outbursts of improv, and I love it. The only difference is that is a melodic free form type of thing. The bag is all rhythm.
                          So there's 2 more cents of mine!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

[QUOTE=spinsmashpop;9265]AK...I gotta agree with you. I love the sound of the bag. I love the natural rhythms. And we all know how cool it sounds when its hit in the right place at the right time. I was just diggin' on Paulie D's technique. I did think, at first, it would be killer to hear how it sounds. The Skunk has a few vids where he overdubbed music and it takes away from the mightiness of the bag rhythm and his stellar control. I think some background music is ok if you are punching and can hear both. I know the rhythms will be off if its random punching over music. Maybe it can be looked at as some kind of "be bop" or "avant garde" punching! Jimmy Page's guitar solos can get like that too. He isn't locked in rhythmically. It's sporadic, off the cuff, in the moment outbursts of improv, and I love it. The only difference is that is a melodic free form type of thing. The bag is all rhythm.
                            So there's 2 more cents of mine![/QUOTE]

Great. Two more cents. Now I'm up to a dime.

just kidding. I never thought about that with Jimmy Page guitar.

my problem is I start putting a bag beat to it immediately.

By the way, when we gonna see and hear you on the Guitar. ??
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

[QUOTE=Speedbag;9276]
                              AK...I gotta agree with you. I love the sound of the bag. I love the natural rhythms. And we all know how cool it sounds when its hit in the right place at the right time. I was just diggin' on Paulie D's technique. I did think, at first, it would be killer to hear how it sounds. The Skunk has a few vids where he overdubbed music and it takes away from the mightiness of the bag rhythm and his stellar control. I think some background music is ok if you are punching and can hear both. I know the rhythms will be off if its random punching over music. Maybe it can be looked at as some kind of "be bop" or "avant garde" punching! Jimmy Page's guitar solos can get like that too. He isn't locked in rhythmically. It's sporadic, off the cuff, in the moment outbursts of improv, and I love it. The only difference is that is a melodic free form type of thing. The bag is all rhythm.
                              So there's 2 more cents of mine![/QUOTE]

Great. Two more cents. Now I'm up to a dime.

just kidding. I never thought about that with Jimmy Page guitar.

my problem is I start putting a bag beat to it immediately.

By the way, when we gonna see and hear you on the Guitar. ??
                              You can me all over the guitar on my myspace page. It goes from acoustic, to hard rock, to extreme metal to a Zep cover; all in 6 songs.
                              There are some clips on youtube of Idol live where we play Mony Mony and our security guard Toast gets on the drums and I get on guitar. Me and Billy's gtr. player, Steve Stevens do a little guitar battle in the middle of the song. It's a lot of fun for me to come out and try to shred a bit on gtr.
                              Hopefully there'll be a lot more than that in the near future....

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...