• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FLg8r
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2014

My speed bag set up

I took up the speed bag when I retired 7 years ago. They had one at my gym and I felt awkward and foolish when I first tried. But I got hooked and set one up at home. The Speed Bag Bible and some videos got me started, and I still find new goals to strive for. I'm 75 and swear the speed bag is the best exercise for me.

• dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

Nice looking setup and The Speed Bag Bible will take you everywhere you never dreamt of going. Enjoy the journey.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by FLg8r View Post
      I took up the speed bag when I retired 7 years ago. They had one at my gym and I felt awkward and foolish when I first tried. But I got hooked and set one up at home. The Speed Bag Bible and some videos got me started, and I still find new goals to strive for. I'm 75 and swear the speed bag is the best exercise for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmybj3fzbz...09.33.mp4?dl=0
      That's an awesome looking setup. Love that book set up.

Originally posted by ventanakaz

Love it man, May i suggest when you start hitting from all sides of the bag, That you get a Ball&S-hook swivel, Although because of the Mechanical design of the Chainlink and U-bolt, They are faster, But after a little while of hitting on a good Ball Hook swivel you won't miss the other designs.
      I agree with Ventanakaz. Eventually you'll want to move to a Ballhook swivel. Especially when you get into Chapter 9 "Side Techniques." That U-bolt causes issues with Side punching. It's possible, but way easier with a Ballhook IMO.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• FLg8r
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • May 2014

I tried a couple of ball hook swivels but they were noisy. Are there any quiet ones?

Comment

• Pete
          • Nov 2020

The arc is virtually silent. Give the arcitect(rdshackleford)a holler. Also, the plastic Everlast ball hooks pop up on eBay every once in awhile if you want a test run. Local craigslist you can get lucky. Or if you have access to a drill press you can look into ball casters and spherical plain bearings. Sorry, I have a problem

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            The arc is virtually silent. Give the arcitect(rdshackleford)a holler. Also, the plastic Everlast ball hooks pop up on eBay every once in awhile if you want a test run. Local craigslist you can get lucky. Or if you have access to a drill press you can look into ball casters and spherical plain bearings. Sorry, I have a problem
            I 2nd that - Arc swivel is your best bet.

Comment

• surfingcowboy
              • May 2020

Great Job and Looking Good and Moving Great(Especially for your age) I turned 60 last year and hope I'm doing as well at your age

Comment

• FLg8r
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • May 2014

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

That's an awesome looking setup. Love that book set up.

I agree with Ventanakaz. Eventually you'll want to move to a Ballhook swivel. Especially when you get into Chapter 9 "Side Techniques." That U-bolt causes issues with Side punching. It's possible, but way easier with a Ballhook IMO.
                I found the swivel that came with my setup. It makes a lot of noise. Is there anyway to quiet it down?

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

Not really, it's metal on metal on metal. The rebound drum acts like a resonator, so it amplifies it. The suggestion about getting an ARC swivel is the way to deal with the sound.PM Rusty and see if he is ready to run another batch.

Comment

• FLg8r
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                    What i do when I use one of those everlast metal swivels is to use very narrow strapping tape, I wrap the eyebolt shank several times until i feel it's enough, When I start to hear metal on metal than I rewrap the shank again, But others like Thomas uses tubing on their shank, I forgot where he told me where to get the tubing. I actually wrap all the shanks (eyebolt shaft) on all my swivels, I don't like the sound of metal on metal, The other big plus is it saves the wear and tear on any ball-hook swivel, No matter if it's plastic or metal, i wore out plastic and metal swivels because I didn't keep the contact point covered, Once I started to cover the area those swivels be it plastic or metal have lasted, But I feel the tubing is probably the best way to go even though I haven't tried it yet...Ralph
                    Okay, I went out and got some 3/8" tubing, both latex and plastic, they were out of vinyl. I'm trying the latex first. I also realized that the ball could jump around in the socket as there was no restraint on the top so i cut a couple of round pieces of rubatex to minimize the ball float. The difference is amazing, I can live with the new sound.

here it is originally

and here is the muffled one

I think I can cast a top out of epoxy for the socket to keep the ball from bouncing and quiet it some more

Comment

• senegauloisegu
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Feb 2021

Nice looking setup and The tmc bilge pump will take you everywhere you never dreamt of going.
                      Last edited by senegauloisegu; 03-01-2021, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...