• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Balazs Boxing i-Box Platform (and swivel!) review

Here's the latest from Speed Bag Labs:

I'm having fun with this - feels like I've got purpose back in my punching.

Next up will *possibly* be a 3 way comparison between this u-Bolt swivel, the Title Shorty u-bolt, and an Arc swivel.
    Last edited by Tim; 07-13-2020, 06:22 PM.
  • Cazbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2018

Awesome stuff from the lab!
    Question on the predrilled swivel mount holes; Is there any cause for concern with wearing the holes out (assuming they are threaded) with repeated swivel changes? Doesn't look like there is access from the top, perhaps adding threaded inserts like BagBoy has shown on a previous post if so?

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Cazbag View Post
      Awesome stuff from the lab!
      Question on the predrilled swivel mount holes; Is there any cause for concern with wearing the holes out (assuming they are threaded) with repeated swivel changes? Doesn't look like there is access from the top, perhaps adding threaded inserts like BagBoy has shown on a previous post if so?
      Yeah, 100% there is a concern. They are meant for wood screws, so after you run a screw threw them 4 or 5 times you have to go deeper - or drill a new set of holes. Here's what the drum looks like after 10 years worth of swivel changes (see attached photo). Interesting bit of triva - this platform was at the original Speed Bag gathering in 2010!

It's difficult to use bolts that go all the way through, because the V-frame support up top is in the way. I know at least one member has drilled all the way through - so it can be done..

I'm actually now using 3 different i-Box platforms in my videos - to avoid swapping swivels.

Having said all this - normal people don't change swivels every 2 weeks
      Last edited by Tim; 07-20-2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

threaded inserts solve all the problems
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• dad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2018

BagBoy and rd have this all the way,Threaded T-Nuts

Comment

• BagBoy
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2018

Another great video Tim! Really liking these.

Getting the threaded inserts in were a hassle but once those babes are in, THEY IN!
            Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
              threaded inserts solve all the problems
              Wow - I had no idea these existed!

Definitely going to invest in those for all my platforms.

Thanks guys!

Comment

• Jim Walker
                • Dec 2018

I used T-Nuts inserted in the top of the platform to accommodate two different swivel patterns. Makes changing swivels quick and easy.
                #10-24 x 9/32" Long Barrel Stainless Steel T-Nut Tee Nut 3-Prong

Comment

• peragio
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Here's the latest from Speed Bag Labs:

I'm having fun with this - feels like I've got purpose back in my punching.

Next up will *possibly* be a 3 way comparison between this u-Bolt swivel, the Title Shorty u-bolt, and an Arc swivel.
                  HI Tim, you think i could mount the i-box to drywall if i hit the studs and is it easy to adjust the height? thanks

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by peragio View Post

HI Tim, you think i could mount the i-box to drywall if i hit the studs and is it easy to adjust the height? thanks
                    Yep, you'll be fine as long as you go into the studs. Some people will mount wood to the wall, then mount the platform to the wood to help protect the drywall too. To be honest I haven't mounted a platform to a wall in 15 years time though...

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jim Walker View Post
                      I used T-Nuts inserted in the top of the platform to accommodate two different swivel patterns. Makes changing swivels quick and easy.
                      #10-24 x 9/32" Long Barrel Stainless Steel T-Nut Tee Nut 3-Prong
                      Thanks for the detail, that's what I need to do as well.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2016

I use E-Z LOK, better than t-nuts
                        @ArcSwivel
                        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Jeff Thrasher
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Apr 2020

I haven't been doing this as long as a lot of you but i have been a carpenter my entire life. I would venture to say that i probably change out more swivels than everyone but maybe Tom. I use the same holes that are drilled into my wood platform every time. The trick is to use course thread screws. The first few times you change them out it will require a drill to move the screws in and out. Once the screw holes have been trained the next trick is to hand tighten the screws into the platform then use a drill on a low torque setting to ensure you don't damage the wood. I put 11 swivels on and off my platform last sunday to test and tune them. Still use the same wood screws and same holes for each one of them. That was just Sunday. I change swivels more often than most people change shirts. It is all technique. You can also put a golf tee with a little elmers wood glue or tight bond on it and shove it in the worn out hole and it will act like a brand new piece of wood. The inserts are great if you have the ability to use them but if you cant slow the speed of your drill, use course threat wood screws and call it a day. I actually have a video on youtue showing you how to install a swivel with existing holes.

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jeff Thrasher View Post
                            I haven't been doing this as long as a lot of you but i have been a carpenter my entire life. I would venture to say that i probably change out more swivels than everyone but maybe Tom. I use the same holes that are drilled into my wood platform every time. The trick is to use course thread screws. The first few times you change them out it will require a drill to move the screws in and out. Once the screw holes have been trained the next trick is to hand tighten the screws into the platform then use a drill on a low torque setting to ensure you don't damage the wood. I put 11 swivels on and off my platform last sunday to test and tune them. Still use the same wood screws and same holes for each one of them. That was just Sunday. I change swivels more often than most people change shirts. It is all technique. You can also put a golf tee with a little elmers wood glue or tight bond on it and shove it in the worn out hole and it will act like a brand new piece of wood. The inserts are great if you have the ability to use them but if you cant slow the speed of your drill, use course threat wood screws and call it a day. I actually have a video on youtue showing you how to install a swivel with existing holes.
                            I'm thinking the quality of the wood also makes a difference. For years (back in "the day") most boards were made of "soft" wood materials and the punching vibration ON THE SWIVEL (yea, the swivel can move when absorbing the punch force) would eventually widen the swivel holes and the answer would be slightly larger, fatter screw until it reached the limit of the hole size in the swivel base. Those old time giant everlast boards 30-36 inches were awesome but the swivel holes trashed out early. AND swivel bases can have odd sized holes, some much smaller than others. I found the typical "normal": swivel was 1/4 screw but some lately are #10 or smaller.

I never knew of the "threaded insert" which sounds great (as long as the hole size in the base are all the same) by my preferred solution was drill the swivel holes ALL the way through and use bolts. When the swivel is "bolted" on there is no more worry about trouble screw holes. (so I guess it was "screw the screws"). However, with the current "V" bracket shape over the board it is very difficult to figure a way to run bolts all the way through for easy change. There was one of the genius designer bagger a few years ago that actually made a template for how to modify the I-Box wall unit to run the holes all the way through and bolt the swivel.
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Oct 2016

This is what I would use if I needed to re-thread a drum for a swivel, or if I was building a new platform. That one accepts 10-32 machine screws, but they have bigger sizes too. E-Z Lok knife edge.

@ArcSwivel
                              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...